Rant Why do people change the names of borrowed music when they use it in a game? (Read 945 times)

• It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I don't know about anyone else but I often find it rather strange and annoying when I find a familiar game tune in an indie project file with a different name.   :mad:
I don't quite understand why people do it- are they trying to take credit for the song (which seems dishonest), remind themselves who it's associated with, prevent others from finding out which unfamiliar tunes in their game are original and which are reused - what? I cold understand a personal remix being renamed or a midi, but I don't quite see the point.
Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:08:25 am by Terrorantula
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • Sunflower of the Jollyflower Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Maybe for sake of organization and naming them according how will their game will be or something.

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga
  • Artist, novelist, gamer, and friend.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Back when I did it, it was purely for organisation, especially if I was using Song X for a character's theme song or something. Plus, numbering the songs in the list is a lot easier to keep track of. At first I just left the file names alone. It was confusing as frack to deal with.

Also, knowing this will never meet a market where this sort of thing really matters; it never crossed my mind. I was already using ripped graphics and all that crap.
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
That makes sense... but...  oh well. :fogetshrug:
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I've usually always tried to compose the songs for my games, but if I do get outside songs, I'll either keep the original midi title (even if it's something weird like 1121johnremixFF2.mid) or I'll rename it to the situation I'm using for, purely so that I can either: A) Replace it with a new song later (by calling it the same name and overwriting it) or B) Just simply remember what I used the song for so I don't keep around songs that I'm not using. I'm verrrry forgetful.
http://dev.oceansdream.net
  • SPECIAL EFFECTS
  • PipPipPipPip
letting the player know exactly what final fantasy midis they use is not really on a developer's list of priorities
  • It's that guy that nobody likes!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
(Don't take any offence to this...) But really, who ****in cares!?  :fogethuh:

It's the same thing with OH GWDS --- ANIMES!?!?!?!?!?!?  :fogetbackflip:

Happy 1st Anniversary - MONOPOLO!
Released April 2nd, 2009 - Right Here, On GW!

• It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I guess I was worried about copyright, etc- though considering many of us are using pirate programs i guess that's moot.
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
if they did that with my music i'd slap them
www.jmickle.com
  • Comrade!
Developers don't expect most players to go in and check what song was used in the game, but even if they did it doesn't really matter much. Sucks for the music producer and I'd be mad if I made the music, but really, what can you do lol
Put some sand in my roommate's sheets today... :gwa:
  • Pick up that can!
I rename the music so i know what song is for what, such as a song for a certain town or a characters theme, infact as i look though all the RM games i have they to seem to follow this trend, and besides the name of the song doesn't even matter, it doesn't show up in the game and most players don't look at the names of files so who cares.
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I rename the music tracks in my games to 0, 1, 2 etc to make the final game .rar smaller

Another reason is that that the musician I use likes to name his mp3's hjjjkhjkkl.mp3 untitled45878.mp3 and so on, that makes it more likely to make a typo when trying to call game.playbgm("hjlkjhj.mp3") than if I did game.playbgm("0.mp3")
Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:43:55 pm by Mince Wobley
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • Bushido Brown
  • PipPip
because i dont give a fuck about copy right and licensing
. .  .   salty is right
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I change it because it's easier to input it in code ._.
like Play bgm ("01.ogg") or something like that.
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm glad your reason is the same as mine
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • <Custom Title here>
  • Pip
I think Ocean already mentioned this but renaming the files not only makes it easier for you to keep track of them but more importantly makes them easy to replace. Imagine you are nearly done with a large game and decide that you want a different hero theme song. You would now have to go through every event that calls the specific file and replace it. While using the naming method you simply overwrite the existing file with a new one and the events stay in tact. There are other ways to avoid this kind of thing without tampering with the file names but this really is the easiest and most manageable way to do it.
Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:33:53 am by Maxximum
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I kinda thought this topic was dead already.  I just changed the title of an item I stuck in a game anyway, plus i noted it often lists the original source in the track list, so no biggie.