Anime [WIP][DEMO] Cult Classic (Read 739 times)

• lol
  • Group: Member
hopefully i am doing everything right.  i am new here.  anyway

Hello there.  This is a game I am making with a few of my friends in RPG Maker XP.

Demo:

Here is the link to the demo.

Screenshots/Video:

Screenshots: http://cultclassic.aftervision.com/?page_id=24
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4m4QG09RU

Basic Information:

Since the game is mostly story-driven, it doesn't rely on conventional RPG gameplay, such as battling opponents through a turn-based system.  There is a variety of mini-games, however, which serve effectively as breaks in the story.  You can drive cars, run away from cyborgs, and attempt to survive chokeholds.  Most of the gameplay features a variety of environments that you explore, and a great deal of funny and quirky NPC dialogue.

Characters:

George Carder is a right-wing, Christian, NASCAR dad.  He loves watching sports and nudging his wife for sex.  He has a daughter, Ana, and the game begins with him going to buy a Wii for her.

Jacob Chung is the protagonist of the game.  He is an average 20-something anime fan who leads a mundane life posting on internet forums, and working at a game store with stupid customers.  Little does he know that his whole life is about to change when cyborgs invade his small town in Arizona.

Rodriguez is Chung's co-worker.  He is a caring friend of Chung, and encourages him to have more of a social life.  He enjoys going to gay night clubs, and spending time with his boyfriend Joel.

Dr. Friedrich Hurtz is a brilliant scientist.  He helps Chung in his journey, and is excellent at creating high-tech devices.

Custom Scripts Made By:

Ccoa
RPG Advocate
Night_Runner (not in demo)
Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:24:04 pm by 9/11 Truth Man
Cult Classic (game I am making)
  • Bushido Brown
  • PipPip
looks like something i'd find on newgrounds.
. .  .   salty is right
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
this looks really cool dude. the trailer is excellent. do you need rtp or whatever to play this?
http://harmonyzone.org
  • tuhmayter
  • Pip
Really diggin to the dialogue in this game. I hope for an involved cyborg fleeing experience
world toilet summit
  • lol
do you need rtp or whatever to play this?

Nope.  Just open the EXE and it will extract the files to a directory.  Go to the directory and click on Game.exe and it will work.

Thanks for the comments so far, guys.   :fogetcool:
Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:40:23 am by 9/11 Truth Man
  • You probally thought you werent gunna die today suprise!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Looks kinda cool tbh

He loves watching sports and nudging his wife for sex. <<<< :)
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I completed the demo and enjoyed it! My favorite parts of rpgs are just wandering around town and exploring anyway and this game did this well. The dialogue was pretty good although I preferred the more sort of low-key silly stuff like the kid playing cactus etc to the more uh internetish humour about animes and such. There was a kind of offbeat appeal in the early part especially of just walking RIGHT-WING DAD around town and chatting to people but like I said I think it worked best when it played it relatively straight and tried to set up an offbeat mood to when it was making digs at stuff. I'm explaining this badly but basically I enjoyed the 'skewed rpg' parts more than the straight-up jokegame parts. I really liked how the main character changed suddenly while you were in the middle of things and for a second I thought the whole game would just be like Slacker or something where you'd continuously shift characters and get to explore more parts of the town etc. Maybe because of this the cyborg part fell kind of flat for me! Admittedly there wasn't much of it in the demo but it seemed like kind of an awkward shift from a more laid-back game about exploring environment etc to something with more focus etc. idk i dont play too many games so you should probably take this with a grain of salt.

But yeah I liked it and I hope you complete this!
http://harmonyzone.org
  • Contender
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
This looks pretty good. Will definately try this when I get home. Haha some of those screens.

From the looks of it, it may be on par with Earthbound, even without the battle system

EDIT: I have mild depression and this game saved my life.
Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:34:38 pm by busterblade123
  • lol
I completed the demo and enjoyed it! My favorite parts of rpgs are just wandering around town and exploring anyway and this game did this well. The dialogue was pretty good although I preferred the more sort of low-key silly stuff like the kid playing cactus etc to the more uh internetish humour about animes and such. There was a kind of offbeat appeal in the early part especially of just walking RIGHT-WING DAD around town and chatting to people but like I said I think it worked best when it played it relatively straight and tried to set up an offbeat mood to when it was making digs at stuff. I'm explaining this badly but basically I enjoyed the 'skewed rpg' parts more than the straight-up jokegame parts. I really liked how the main character changed suddenly while you were in the middle of things and for a second I thought the whole game would just be like Slacker or something where you'd continuously shift characters and get to explore more parts of the town etc. Maybe because of this the cyborg part fell kind of flat for me! Admittedly there wasn't much of it in the demo but it seemed like kind of an awkward shift from a more laid-back game about exploring environment etc to something with more focus etc. idk i dont play too many games so you should probably take this with a grain of salt.

But yeah I liked it and I hope you complete this!

I don't want to spoil the game too much, but there is going to be more character switching and exploring later in the game, as well as parts that focus on the story.  As well as other stuff.

From the looks of it, it may be on par with Earthbound, even without the battle system

EDIT: I have mild depression and this game saved my life.

This is what we are here for, god bless the USA
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
is this game really any good? The humor sounds like Mad TV the RPG seriously
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• now that's what I'm talking about
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
i like what i am playing.

edit: this is brilliant
Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:07:16 am by Bobberticus
fuck it all, dd is dead
  • lol
Edit: Nevermind.
Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:46:47 am by 9/11 Truth Man
Yo, I PMed you.

I would be sad to see this thing put to a suspension. So much potential right here.