Topic: English buffs, help! (Read 935 times)

• Comedy Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Global Moderator
faust you should pick up on it in the staff room and earn extra brownie points

Dude, if I mentioned punctuation in the staffroom I'd be SCORNED! The English Office maybe, but the staffroom is for discussions about television, other staff members, badnik students, and who has what SAMMIJES.
Hey hey hey
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Using a semicolon isn't hard; I once saw Quentin Tarantino do it.
  • god damn it man-o-war god damn it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Using a semicolon isn't hard; I once saw Quentin Tarantino do it.
YOU DID IT WRONG!!!
"I once saw Quentin Tarantino do it." is dependent I'm pretty sure because otherwise what is it? It alone doesn't mean anything, that sentence depends on the first sentence to make sense. YOU USED A SEMICOLON WRONG!!
don't mind me, just postin' after a few brewskies
somebody’s Barkley --- could be another’s Monopolo.
  • VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
YOU DID IT WRONG!!!
"I once saw Quentin Tarantino do it." is dependent I'm pretty sure because otherwise what is it? It alone doesn't mean anything, that sentence depends on the first sentence to make sense. YOU USED A SEMICOLON WRONG!!
No, "I saw him do it" is a perfectly valid example of an independent clause. It contains one subject (I) and one predicate (saw him do it). If I'm not mistaken (help me out here Faust) "him do it" functions as the direct object of the verb "saw".

For a sentence to be independent it doesn't necessarily have to make a lot of sense to the reader. An example of a dependent clause that can't be used in conjunction with a semicolon would be something like "When I saw him do it", which can't really be parsed in any meaningful way without an additional independent clause, e.g. "When I saw him do it, I remembered the trick."
Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:07:01 pm by Dada
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Why bother arguing over a stupid billboard?
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • god damn it man-o-war god damn it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Thanks Dada I'm dumb! I like to make up my own rules for things, that's my problem!
sorry EDC, sorry EDC!!
don't mind me, just postin' after a few brewskies
somebody’s Barkley --- could be another’s Monopolo.
  • Fuckin' A.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
dada is dutch and he can do this
  • Comedy Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Global Moderator
No, "I saw him do it" is a perfectly valid example of an independent clause. It contains one subject (I) and one predicate (saw him do it). If I'm not mistaken (help me out here Faust) "him do it" functions as the direct object of the verb "saw".

For a sentence to be independent it doesn't necessarily have to make a lot of sense to the reader. An example of a dependent clause that can't be used in conjunction with a semicolon would be something like "When I saw him do it", which can't really be parsed in any meaningful way without an additional independent clause, e.g. "When I saw him do it, I remembered the trick."

You're actually right there dada. As long as it's grammatically correct as an independent sentence then it's absolutely fine. Again we have a situation where JOHNNY FOREIGNER knows the rules our language much better than 99% of its native speakers.

...Although, counting on Faust to help you out of a grammar situation is probably a bit like asking Tony Soprano for advice on being a good father! He thinks he's the shit, but it turns out he's just a massive douchebag!

Still, as long as the government keeps cutting those pay cheques!!!!!
Hey hey hey
  • VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
That's because 99% of students think the same thing I thought about Dutch class: that it's stupid to spend time learning to use your native language. English, French and German were all interesting, but spending 4 hours a week learning to tell a fable from a parable just isn't my idea of a good time.

The sad thing is it's really, really necessary these days.
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I usually follow the rules laid down in my copy of Elements of Style (AKA Strunk & White) with a few exceptions. I recommend it to everyone as a basic guide.
Informal writing is much more flexible than formal writing, but I try to keep it concise and clear.

Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:38:27 pm by Terrorantula
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • Buttshit.
God's finest creation...a baby!
valves industrial valves tanks and valves valves and ball valves excess flow valves control valves valves industrial solenoid valves quality valves expansion valves check valves gas valves automatic drain valves gate valves air valves relief valves
Good English Class.
A baby is God's finest creation. simple and correct. just rid those colons and sh*t