Tech Building a new Gaming Desktop Computer (Read 2209 times)

• salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
omeg i think that you underestimate the power of the biege case
  • Ò_Ó
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Biege was pure genius because when freshly bought it looked ok but after a few years it went all yellowy like a coffee drinking smoker's teeth. Clever method of inbuilt obsolescence
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Black is the new beige

And beige is the new silver

It's an IBM aptiva, it's junk by now. But imagine a decent computer by today standards, inside that case. Doesn't the contrast make it look more powerful?

Beige should make a come back.
Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:07:18 am by Mince Wobley
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yeah that Xclio case looks atrocious too. Aesthetics mean quite a bit to me so I really dig Lian-Li cases, they're really well made mostly out of aluminum & steel and rather inconspicuous. It looks like a clean no-frills PC like you'd see in an office or something but has excellent airflow and there's a lot of attention to detail on the insides(cable management and whatnot) this one right here is excellent. Those gaming cases seriously look like they hired 13 year olds for the design team.

I still recommended the HAF Full case if you wish to spend more money. Air flow was token in to consideration when this was conceived since CoolMasters built there Empire with Fans. One thing I can say about the fans that come stander on the HAF are ok but not the best on airflow but the best are noisy as shit.

I'm planing on my next build to get the noisy high airflow fans but I'm also thinking about going for a Water Cooling System because I never did it before and learning is Half the battle. But some times a bit intimidate on the unknown factor.
Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:05:34 am by DDay
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• TV people want to leave
I still recommended the HAF Full case if you wish to spend more money. Air flow was token in to consideration when this was conceived since CoolMasters built there Empire with Fans. One thing I can say about the fans that come stander on the HAF are ok but not the best on airflow but the best are noisy as shit.

this reminds me of the man stroke woman sketch where this guy is looking at the newspaper and he's talking about how there's a special offer for some couch and they've got all these payment plans and it's such a good deal and w/e and it ends with "can we get it?" "no" "why???" "because it's fucking hideous."  "oh, yeah..."

seriously lian li cases are the fuckin best they are sexy as hell.  don't get some terrible gamer case with windows and lights and shit everywhere, i built a pc in high school and this is what i did and not only did it end up annoying me with so many lights but it also ended up warping and wouldn't close properly.  if you are going to buy a case that's not dirt cheap, then get a lian li and be an adult.

the next computer i build i think i'm gonna set aside some cash for a lian li case i have always wanted one :(​  right now my case is some really bland office depot case that i got just because my gamer one ended up having awful airflow (gotta make room for LIGHTS AND WINDOWS)
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Dead man
this reminds me of the man stroke woman sketch where this guy is looking at the newspaper and he's talking about how there's a special offer for some couch and they've got all these payment plans and it's such a good deal and w/e and it ends with "can we get it?" "no" "why???" "because it's fucking hideous."  "oh, yeah..."

seriously lian li cases are the fuckin best they are sexy as hell.  don't get some terrible gamer case with windows and lights and shit everywhere, i built a pc in high school and this is what i did and not only did it end up annoying me with so many lights but it also ended up warping and wouldn't close properly.  if you are going to buy a case that's not dirt cheap, then get a lian li and be an adult.

The next computer i build i think I'm gonna set aside some cash for a lian li case i have always wanted one :(​  right now my case is some really bland office depot case that i got just because my gamer one ended up having awful airflow (gotta make room for LIGHTS AND WINDOWS)

The Coolmasters High Air Flow AKA HAF series of cases are really good I have one and it doesn't have windows and as for LED yes it dose the front Fan has one you don't need to hook up the light hell there is a on and off button with it :woop: it's a bit cheaper But as a man that owns a HAF series I think I may stay with them. Unless I'm feeling frisky and oblivious mood. But defiantly my next case is a HAF full case. After that I may start to pick some other ones.

But I will agree LIAN LI PC-X2000F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case looks sexy but I'm not feeling the price tag anyway the case doesn't need to be set in stone he can just remove the components at a letter date and go to the next bigger better case when he has more money to drop on it....It's just to get him started with out breaking his bank.

Hell If I was to tell him the best he would go over his budget. like why a 4 core instead of a 6 why a 1GB GFX card then a 4GB one (but since it's new I wouldn't tell him to get it even if he asked for the best since there may be some kinks and there's no review to help me draw a picture of heat and power draw,, how many pins and ect. Yes one can assume not much heat from the 3 fans on this monster but would it's heat that it's throwing off... heat up other components Also power draw dose look like allot the 3 fans tell me so ...they also said HI!.)
Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:54:47 pm by DDay

• TV people want to leave
But I will agree LIAN LI PC-X2000F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case looks sexy but I'm not feeling the price tag anyway the case doesn't need to be set in stone he can just remove the components at a letter date and go to the next bigger better case when he has more money to drop on it....It's just to get him started with out breaking is bank.

yeah but if this is the case (heh, CASE, geddit???) then why even get an $80+ dollar case?  just get some cheap functional case until you have the free cash to get something real nice.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Dead man
yeah but if this is the case (heh, CASE, geddit???) then why even get an $80+ dollar case?  just get some cheap functional case until you have the free cash to get something real nice.

On my list I made for him that's what I did I used NewEgg's great search filter and put in full case and set it to the lowest price case and bam it had good reviews for the most part so I suggested it. yes there is 49.99 ones but it had low reviews (I mean they where High but only 4 or 5 reviews.) so I wanted something that had more user base so I can make a more accurate decision.

But then someone chimed in and said get the HAL that he originally had witch I Wouldn't say it's a bad choose and if he had to go pennies up I too can recommend it.

BTW Mateui If you want to take a look at my own old build here it is. Witch isn't too old about 4-5 months.

Just take a look at them by copy and pasting the number in new egg's search bar. I will also tell you the reason why I picked them.
----------------------------

Case/ item Number 11-119-197    

Reason: I need something cheep with good air flow because my GFX is one hot son of bitch when it peeks
------------------------------------------------------

MotherBroad/ item Number  13-128-438

Reason:  it had the newest features at the time USB 3.0 and STAT 6.0GB even can support 6 core But there was a bad trade off upgrade-abilty was nerfed GFX card crossfire wise (Only 1 16x PCI) but all in all it was a solid broad
--------------------------------------------------------   
GFX Card/ Item Number 14-150-438

Reason:To my understanding the best 1 GB card you can get when I got it I knew it couldn't support DX11 (but I still haven't seen a game it could not play on Full) and it's a power hog using 2x6 pin's and it also runs hot (but never over specs) when it handles games.
------------------------------------------------------

CPU/ Item Number 19-103-692

Reason:I like ADM and it was the best 4 core money could buy. Yes I could of gotten 6 core just came out about 5 days before getting this but I need to put money else where.
----------------------------------------------------------   

Ram/ Item Number 20-227-365

Reason:Cheep High Performance Ram that has lifetime Warranty and a sort of respectable brand. Can't beat it. But I did had concerns about DOA (Dead On Arrival) but It has lifetime warranty and I never got any that where dead it could of been miss handling by user or shipping.
---------------------------------------------------------------

PSU/Item Number 17-171-029

Reason:This was my investment I put top dollar on a power Supply. Why you may ask. Is because I Plan on taking this bad boy out for all my builds to use over and over again in the long run saving money. It can upgrade any power hungry build and can power 7 PCI slots there is a catch the excess wires demands allot wire management and space. This is my little medusa. (I Hope it brakes on the 4th Year :fogetshh: maybe that year I will try to feed the pikmin.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard Drive/ Item Number 22-145-276

Reason: For me Size dose matter.(what a bad joke but Semi-true)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:51:47 pm by DDay

I agree on the gaming cases. They look like they're marketed at people who drink this.

By the way, where's the love for beige?

I miss beige.
too much plastic IMO and you kinda have to get the whole beige monitor+keyboard+mouse thing in order for that look to work otherwise your work area/office will look like the electronics section at goodwill

The specific Lian li case I posted was a little outrageously priced, but they also make good middle of the road ones that look just as good(this one looks great). I would dedicate more of my budget on a nice looking enclosure because it's going to become a fixture in my living space and if I get a really nice one then chances are it'll outlive most/all of the components it houses. PCs aren't tiny things and I just wouldn't want to look at something really large and gaudy sitting under my desk all the time.
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:04:36 am by DietCoke
  • Dead man
too much plastic IMO and you kinda have to get the whole beige monitor+keyboard+mouse thing in order for that look to work otherwise your work area/office will look like the electronics section at goodwill

The specific Lian li case I posted was a little outrageously priced, but they also make good middle of the road ones that look just as good(this one looks great). I would dedicate more of my budget on a nice looking enclosure because it's going to become a fixture in my living space and if I get a really nice one then chances are it'll outlive most/all of the components it houses. PCs aren't tiny things and I just wouldn't want to look at something really large and gaudy sitting under my desk all the time.

but it's a mid tower. We are looking at full.

but it's a mid tower. We are looking at full.
:welp: I don't remember that being a requirement, but I guess that's all up him. All I'm sayin' is that i like things in my home to look nice and it's something everyone buying a computer should consider. some of those cases may seem "alright" or tolerable just by looking at the image on your screen, but believe me no  picture can really do justice to just how extraordinarily tacky those 'gamer-cases' look.
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:29:13 am by DietCoke
  • None of them knew they were robots.
Computers today can't look nice because they're either all black (not a color) or silver (looks pseudo-futuristic) or like a barbie toy (vaios)

We need more pastel tones

--

Seriously now, do modern motherboards even fit inside those old cases they used for pentium II pcs? I don't want to make a black pc
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:11:38 am by Mince Wobley
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
Computers today can't look nice because they're either all black (not a color) or silver (looks pseudo-futuristic) or like a barbie toy (vaios)

We need more pastel tones

--

Seriously now, do modern motherboards even fit inside those old cases they used for pentium II pcs? I don't want to make a black pc

... hope u like linux  :sport:
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
i didn't figure old dietcoke for being a decorator when it came to electronics. i mean, i get it. i have only lately started to get it. i get older and i realise all that crap i always made sure i totally un-cared about, starts to play on my mind more and more. but even so, screw that. i want a bright puke green computer set up and a putrid yellow light bulb to make the room pulse. on the wall i want a giant photo of george costanza and there should be a constant 'brown' wave sound playing in place. i don't wanna be comfortable. i definitely don't wanna be sleek. all i wanna do is puke.

i do get it, though, but as far as computer goes the whole design of all of them, if i choose to think about it (which i just don't, mostly), is something i don't like. i don't like all the it reflects your lifestyle stuff it puts me off. i still run windows on the windows 98 graphic theme. i've got it in my head it saves processing power but it probably doesn't. i just like to keep the exterior simple and dank and get busy on making a mess.
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:33:59 am by jamie
  • GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm going to place the order today. I looked through all the components you picked out DDay, and the reviews for the PSU kind of bothered me, so I opted to go for something a little more expensive that had more favorable reviews.

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

I take it this one should be adequate for my needs as it seems to have everything the COOLMAX one had, but more.
  • Dead man
My bad... the PSU that thing dose look scary.... crap I think that was another mistake It was suppose to be from cool master not cool max (coolmax is know for making garbage​ well I'm glade you check in to it when I was looking every thing up .I had allot of windows/tabs open. comparing and what not.(Well on the bright side I guess it made you feel more apart of the build then too lol.) Also yes The PSU looks fine and CORSAIR makes some good stuff but more know for there RAM.

So what case did you pick?
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:08:19 pm by DDay

• GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I actually just decided to jump the gun and place the order. It is done.

Here is what I ended up going with:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

ASUS VW225TL Black 22" 5ms Height/Swivel/Tilt adjustable Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 8000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236085

HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145287

GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125327

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125327
(Ended up choosing this since there was a $3.00 off promo code on it right now).

ASUS P7F7-E WS SuperComputer LGA 1156 Intel 3450 w/ NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131648

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Logitech K120 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126096
(I'm not a huge fan of wireless things since in my experience the batteries die at the worse possible times and I just don't want to have to deal with that).

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7870
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115213

COOLER MASTER RG-TF4-TGU1-GP ThermalFusion 400 Thermal Compound
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103059

And that's it! It ended up being slightly above $2000 (but that's because I went with faster shipping), so I didn't really end up saving anything in the end - let's hope the experience of building this thing will go smoothly without hiccups. I'll definetely keep everyone posted on how it goes. Perhaps I'll blog about it in this topic.
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:09:47 pm by Mateui
  • Dead man
Well I'll post more how to videos make sure you know everything.

This one video is explains how to apply Thermal Compound  but one thing you don't need is a plastic bag it gives you a applicator, your not reusing so the first part is useless and go with his number 3.

Also just in case you where wounding other Reasons why I remanded a full case watch 2:57 to 3:48 on newegg and other site the images you see can't really help you grasp how big theses graphic cards are and there only getting bigger. Also if you watch the video in full there is a reason for Installing windows on a solid state drive Or SSD because there fast at accessing information with in the drive so window's should boot and respond faster.

molex connectors are 4 pin's and there a bitch and they bend easily.
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:14:13 pm by DDay

• salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
this topic needs more bling
  • Dead man

Happy other me.. Are you!

I still can't believe Crysis (a game made in 2007) is the benchmark for todays cards. Even a 1000$ card couldn't get an average above 21 FPS with AA off... My god

Wonder what PCI 3.0 will bring
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:33:14 pm by DDay