Topic: Building a new Gaming Desktop Computer (Read 2209 times)

• salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
thanks other me
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I bought my computer secondhand but it was originally put together by someone who's really good at that sort of thing (plugging things into other things.) It came with these locking rubber/plastic plates that replace the screws that hold the hard drives etc in place. I would highly recommend using them if you've got the extra cash because they made my life a lot easier when I was changing hard drives around and reorganising other stuff on the inside to get around reinstalling my OS. I don't know what they're called though! If I find out I'll edit my post.

there were also these: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811989004 which are also pretty awesome. overall, i am a big fan of not having to find my screwdriver / angle it correctly inside the case.
  • GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, I think with the HAF Tower I purchased, it was listed as having tool-less design (which I assume means you don't need a screwdriver to secure the components).
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, I think with the HAF Tower I purchased, it was listed as having tool-less design (which I assume means you don't need a screwdriver to secure the components).

That's about right.

This guy is going to show you what your case looks like and what it comes with.

Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:04:20 am by DDay
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
oh, so they typically come with the cases nowdays? neat.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
On a related note, if your laptop is old and over heating it's likely dust has built up in the fans and buying a can of compressed air an de dustifiying you laptop will sort it. Still buy a desktop for gaming though.
  • Dead man
Anyway how fast is it coming over night or what?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
One of my orders has shipped (the one containing the PSU, Windows 7, monitor, and harddrive), but the other one which has the rest of the components is still processing (40% - whatever that means) on Newegg's end, which is kind of annoying. I also received 2 tracking numbers for my first shipment, but they don't work at all. I'll be frustrated if I don't get anything by friday. Will let you know as soon as something arrives.

On a positive note I just got a letter from Montreal that had a $45 cheque in it since I did this online survey about my diabetes patients one day at work. I love it when those surveys work out.
  • Dead man
it take up to 24 hours sometimes before the tacking number work also I'f they gave you 2 shipping numbers that means they sent out the other one too. when I order from New Egg I get my shit fast.but then again there is a newegg warehouse in NJ so lol.I think New egg shipping practices are top notch.
Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:31:47 pm by DDay

• TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah tracking numbers take a bit to update.  Normally they'll at least update overnight.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
it take up to 24 hours sometimes before the tacking number work also I'f they gave you 2 shipping numbers that means they sent out the other one too. when I order from New Egg I get my shit fast.but then again there is a newegg warehouse in NJ so lol.I think New egg shipping practices are top notch.
No, I think they actually split up my 2 orders into 4 different orders... since I have a tracking number for just the monitor, and another tracking number for those other 3 things I listed. Those 4 components shipped faster since they were located in Canada already. Looks like everything else is in California or New Jersey at the moment so it'll probably be a couple of days before I get them.

EDIT: I just checked my tracking numbers again. They seem to work now. The monitor and the other 3 items are listed as being in transit in Toronto. I don't know whether Purolator Express goes by truck or by air, but with NB being 20 hours away by car I can't see the shipment taking longer than 2 days to get to me. Luckily I don't work this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to start building by then (fingers crossed that the American shipment will get here by friday).
Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:07:26 am by Mateui
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Alright, looks like my first shipment is arriving today. Sadly, the other one is still processing. How long could it possibly take to find the 10 components I ordered and put them in a box? Over 2 days I guess. Seriously. :(
  • salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
i guess they don't teach patience in canada
  • Dead man
I would of did the longest shipping plan because I'm a cheep bastard and pay more to get something faster is bullshit. But new egg sends out shit fast and as said before I live in NJ and they have a warehouse in NJ.
Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:46:58 pm by DDay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Ok, NewEgg is retarded. I'm so frustrated right now. So anyway, the Canadian shipment I actually received today. That was quick. Am pleased with that. NOW, this American shipment is stuck in limbo. Apparently the processing holdup is occurring because my shipping address and billing address are different (I just moved to New Brunswick). I called Scotiabank to add a shipping address but guess what? They don't do that anymore. SO, I had to switch my billing address to my new shipping address BUT this will take 24 hours to go into effect.

Ok, ok.. NewEgg does this verification process to protect its customers from fraud. Fine. But I have two gripes:

1) Why did they take over 2 days to tell me this is causing the holdup?!
2) Why was the first order not verified? Protecting customers my ass. (OMG.. did Mateui just use profanity? Yes, it's a GW first!)

So, who knows how long this will take now? Probably another 2 days of processing and then express shipping - which now no longer matters since it'll surely hit the weekend wall - I'm thinking sometime mid next week, which is ridiculous. I'm seriously put off by NewEgg as a retailer right now. It's going to take a miracle for me to order from them again.
  • Dead man
LOL I think you are over reacting. Did you bitch at newegg Maybe you can get something out of this. (probably small but lol.)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
LOL I think you are over reacting. Did you bitch at newegg Maybe you can get something out of this. (probably small but lol.)
Yes, I have. Their chat is like talking to a bot, utterly useless, and even by phone they pretty much say the same thing. I've never had problems ordering online until NewEgg. I definetely do not want to repeat this experience. My weekend plans of building this beast have been ruined. :blarg:
  • Dead man
It might be able to happen still. I like new egg I had a good experience with them. There normally fast.

What type of shipping did you set it at. if they ship tommrow you can get it on maybe Saturday if it's like overnight or something.
Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:12:24 pm by DDay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It might be able to happen still. I like new egg I had a good experience with them. There normally fast.

What type of shipping did you set it at. if they ship tommrow you can get it on maybe Saturday if it's like overnight or something.
Apparently they don't have overnight shipping available in Canada. I spoke to someone at Newegg because I asked if I could upgrade to a faster shipping method, but none exists. The fastest available lists itself at 2-5 business days, which I chose. Given that the Canadian package took 3 days, I'm thinking one from the complete opposite of the continent will take 5.
  • Dead man
Apparently they don't have overnight shipping available in Canada. I spoke to someone at Newegg because I asked if I could upgrade to a faster shipping method, but none exists. The fastest available lists itself at 2-5 business days, which I chose. Given that the Canadian package took 3 days, I'm thinking one from the complete opposite of the continent will take 5.

Well did you ask if they are able to get it out tomorrow so it will be in transit.