Topic: how do i be a vegetarian (Read 5091 times)

• Also known as Pinecone
  • Pip
  • Group: Member
Not really since many omnivores are deficient in nutrients.  For example, most omnivores I know eat LOTS of meat and dairy and a LITTLE amount of vegetables (like only broccoli and potatoes lol) so it's pretty easy to get deficient in nutrients.  It's not hard for me, I know what nutrients are in what foods and which foods are high in what I just eat lots of fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds that are high in nutrients.

How do you know they are deficient in nutrients? have you had them tested or something? But yeah eating more than two types of vegetables is probably a good diet choice. (By probably I mean definitely)
  • Stop Radioactivity!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
How do you know they are deficient in nutrients? have you had them tested or something? But yeah eating more than two types of vegetables is probably a good diet choice.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=11175

"Percentage of people meeting RDI for Magnesium in ALL of US: around 32%" according to USDA.

A little updated version:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=15685

Also as an lol
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1352393/Real-men-eat-meat-say-women-turn-noses-vegetarians.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Dok Choy
  • Fuckin' A.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
"weird, stupid assertion" says daily mail
  • I r TEH DrAgOn RaR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i get so giddy when dok starts dropping his hilarious links

also mark you are so immature i hate you
  • Group: Guest
i get so giddy when dok starts dropping his hilarious links
What's wrong with providing sources? He does a better job in most discussions than the rest of you people who automatically write him off as a nutcase. You should cut him some slack for trying to discuss this in a friendly and constructive manner.
  • Ò_Ó

what?
  • TV people want to leave
Yeah mark, you weren't even in this topic but f u you child >​
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Ò_Ó
Skeletons can be tricky to tell apart. When it comes down to it..... without flesh and blood and skin.... when we're just bones..... are we really so different ?
  • I r TEH DrAgOn RaR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
What's wrong with providing sources? He does a better job in most discussions than the rest of you people who automatically write him off as a nutcase. You should cut him some slack for trying to discuss this in a friendly and constructive manner.

i think ive just gotten too old and tired of this game with em.......

Skeletons can be tricky to tell apart. When it comes down to it..... without flesh and blood and skin.... when we're just bones..... are we really so different ?

i know exactly what i was saying dont worry..........
  • PipPipPip
edit: if that's supposed to be a BARB I did say something nice about tofu in the same post which is more than you can say about yourself wiseguy. watch your barbs.
No barbs, sorry about that.

I wanna know your tofu secrets, everytime I try to do something with it it's either disgustingly wobbly and jelly-like or really dry and in both cases doesn't taste like anything. The best I've managed is to grind it to bits so I don't notice it.
  • aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache

a frisky skeleton has an extra bone   :P

also hilarious links from the united states department of agriculture...?
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
  • PEW PEW PEW
No barbs, sorry about that.

I wanna know your tofu secrets, everytime I try to do something with it it's either disgustingly wobbly and jelly-like or really dry and in both cases doesn't taste like anything. The best I've managed is to grind it to bits so I don't notice it.
I've never prepared it myself. this one time I had it I think was fried and had a peanut sauce, that was really good. a restaurant near me has a tofu burger of the day that's usually delicious, my favorite so far was cajun. I've also had a really good dish idk what to call it, it had tofu, shiitake mushrooms, some green vegs and rice. really the secret seems to be how you season it

I think they do something to make it a little al dente though, because iirc it's pretty mushy when you get it. probably pan-sear it in hot oil or something
Both my exes were vegetarians so I had to do a fair bit of compromising, even though both of them were of the "well it's my choice, I don't expect you to adjust for me" guilt-trip. Quorn is OK enough, if you can stop yourself shouting "where's the beef?" every time you take a bite of it.

Pasta is always a safe option I think, but obviously not in the case of vegans. Although, I used to live on pasta and cheese and when I stopped eating it I dropped over a stone. I keep seeing Polenta in the supermarket and thinking it sounds like an amazingly versatile substance, but stop reaching for it when I think of how many ways you could cook a lump of shit without making it stop tasting of...well, shit.

I know it seems lame but the BBC Ready Steady Cook website has a bank of searchable recipes on it that always look good (and all in 30 minutes!), so I'd give that a bash.
  • Stop Radioactivity!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Tofu is pretty good.  You can get different styles like extra firm or soft kinds.  The firm kinds are great for frying and cooking the soft kinds are good for like dips and desserts and stuff.

You can take a block of tofu and marinate/cook it in bbq sauce and it will soak up the bbq sauce and taste good.  You can also bread it and fry it.  Make a breading with flour and some spices and it can be pretty good.  In terms of meat substitutes Seitan is the best imo because it has the closest texture to actual meat and can be used in a lot of ways like meat can.  I don't eat a lot of it though because wheat gluten.
Dok Choy
  • Split into many...
  • PipPip
I've been pescetarian for three or four years now, and have always enjoyed cooking, so over that time I've come to learn quite a bit about cooking as a vegetarian. Beans are a pretty good source of protein and are rather versatile in their types and what you can do with them. Off the top of my head you get falafel, hummus, black bean burritos, chili, and a bunch of random indian dishes (using garbanzos). Basically all of this can be made with either black beans or garbanzos, sauteed onions and garlic, fresh or canned tomatoes and spices. The secret to vegetarian cooking is knowing how to cook the vegetables to the proper doneness and using the appropriates spices and liquids to make the sauces. It's not that tricky though.

Indian cooking uses A LOT of spices, both in quantity and variety, and you don't really need to know too much to make a convincing dish. Cumin powder, coriander seeds, turmeric, curry powder (get the kind w/o salt added), garam marsala (a bunch of mixed spices), ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and saffron are all spices that can make up an indian dish. They all work pretty well together (save for saffron, which is expensive and has a strong but subtle flavor), so you can either make a dish with a bunch of random spices or try and highlight one using others to accent. It's really about experimenting and learning works best. Checking out recipes and building off them is a great way to figure that out. At any rate, if you start out with some sauteed onions and garlic, and maybe toasted coriander seeds you can turn that into a large number of dishes depending on the vegetables you add next. Chick peas, carrots, potatoes, lentils, green beans, peas, cauliflower, eggplant and tomatoes all work well with indian dishes and different combinations create different dishes. If you can find paneer (fried cheese, basically), it is a good source of protein that works well in curry dishes. Once you've started cooking the vegetables you can add tomato sauce and paste or coconut milk or heavy cream to create some sort of sauce for your dish. That in combination with the seasonings will determine whatever your dish ends up being. I suggest just checking out a bunch of random indian dishes and you'll surely see a pattern emerge.

Moving on, quinoa is a great source of protein. It is a complete protein, whereas stuff like beans, vegetables and cheese aren't. Most meats are complete proteins, so when people worry about protein in their diet, it's not specifically because they don't get enough, but because they aren't getting complete proteins. Although I don't think everyone who worries about enough protein is aware of this.

Greater things to worry about are stuff like zinc and iron, two minerals that we almost solely get from red meat sources. You can get iron from beets, not sure about zinc though. So, if you're going vegetarian it is advisable to take a multi-vitamin in order to ensure you are getting all of the proper minerals. Borscht is a crazy easy, crazy good soup/stew made from beets, carrots and potatoes. It is a very cheap, efficient and delicious way to get your iron.

If your roommates eat fish, I highly recommend you eat things like salmon and tuna, as these are great sources of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. If not, then it is probably wise to take a supplement for omega-3 and omega-6 as well. Sometimes you can find a supplement that contains both, although it is more common to find them packaged separate. Omega-3 being far more common and popular than 6, although both are important.

Pastas and italian food are also a great vegetarian choice. Many of the dishes follow the same example of indian cooking, except the predominant spices are instead rosemary, basil, oregano, and bay leaves. Sauces can be made as a tomato, cream or cheese base. With tomato you just use seasonings, paste and water. With cream or cheese, you use melted butter and cream with both. Cream bases often don't need green leaf spices like rosemary, basil or oregano. Just some salt and garlic usually do. Vegetables for italian dishes include eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, artichoke, and portabella/cremini mushrooms.

Finally, mushrooms, if you dig them, are a great vegetarian food. They have a fair amount of protein and are pretty hearty. The most versatile to cook with are portabellas, cremini, shitake and oyster mushrooms. Morels are amazing, and only available a limited time in the year. Chanterelles also have an excellent flavor, are more common, but almost equally expensive. Thyme is the number one spice to use with mushrooms, oregano also works well. With mushrooms you can cook up some random dish with other vegetables, in much the manner as you would with indian or italian dishes. Serve with wild or brown rice, and/or with a cream sauce. Sherry is a great cooking wine to use when cooking mushrooms.

ANyway, I could ramble forever about vegetarian eating and cooking. Hopefully this gets you thinking about it in a realistic and opportunistic way, as there are many benefits to vegetarian cooking. You can basically just buy a bunch of random vegetables and if you have the right spices, herbs and seasonings on hand, the variety of dishes you can make are endless. Although I really only mentioned indian, italian, and vaguely mushrooms, there are many other varieties of dishes to try. They all follow the same basic principles, however. Mexican, meditteranean, asian, and latin american all have many vegetarian dishes to offer.

http://www.sooogood.org/iraqi_food_recipes/falafel.html
I usually just make up whatever for recipes, but here is a recipe for the best falafel that I've ever ate. There is an absolutely phenomenal falafel place by my house, and yet this recipe was even better than they could make. The hummus recipe on that site is also off the hook. Make sure you have a food processor and use soaked garbanzo beans if you make it though.
  • Stop Radioactivity!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Zinc is in quite a bit of veggie foods.  At least in all veg foods I like:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=115#foodsources

Iron too
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70#foodsources

Indian food is the shit I went to an Indian buffet the other day.
Dok Choy
  • Split into many...
  • PipPip
Hey yeah, look at that. I guess that makes sense. Also, now that I'm seeing that info, I kinda remember dark, leafy greens being a healthy vegetable to eat for those reasons. Either way, beets have a ton of iron and are one of the best sources for it.

Indian food is one of the few places you can get a buffet and not feel awful afterward.
  • Stop Radioactivity!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah Indian food is the shit.  I love spicy food and lot of Indian food is spicy.  Also, I LOVE Indian breads they are the best things ever.
Dok Choy
  • Chapter Four: The Imagination And Where It Leads
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
youre making fun of vegetarians because People Are Meant To Kill And Eat Animals, Lol! Why Change? We're Carnivores Ha HA HA AH ahha FFor every burger you dont eat im going to eat TWO!!!!!!!!!!!! OWNED VEGETARIANS!!!
  • I r TEH DrAgOn RaR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
youre making fun of vegetarians because People Are Meant To Kill And Eat Animals, Lol! Why Change? We're Carnivores Ha HA HA AH ahha FFor every burger you dont eat im going to eat TWO!!!!!!!!!!!! OWNED VEGETARIANS!!!

i missed you dom