Topic: How do you feel now that Osama Bin Laden is gone? (Read 3107 times)

• None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I typed a huge text about the issue, about how maybe we'll see the dawn of a new tomorrow, the change Obama said we could believe in but whatever. How do you feel about bin laden finally being dead? Don't say it won't change anything, because it will. Well, it might not change anything in the grand scheme of things, but maybe something will change.
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • I fear and I tremble
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
it does not fucking matter

in a year ask them why we still got peeps in Afghanistan
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • I need to watch things die
It was a bit like the two minutes' hate in 1984 watching everyone else react.
  • Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I always figured he was dead already, and they just hadn't confirmed it yet.

Him being dead doesn't undo the last decade's worth of damage to the United States' economy and stability.
0-------0
|Belross|
0-------0
  • VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
I'm fairly pessimistic about anything substantial changing as a result of this but progressives could use this to start a new campaign to repeal the Patriot Act, for starters. Obama should use this as an excuse to get out of Afghanistan entirely (which is what everybody wants).

There's not much to "feel" about this though. This is just one mass murderer killing another mass murderer. A terrorist killed through terrorism.
  • Worthless Protoplasm
i came
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• Anti-Social Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
He still won
  • Master of Puppets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I'm hoping that there isn't going to be like a "you killed our leader, now we're really pissed off" kind of thing from Al Queda. Probably not, but I always expect the worst.

Otherwise... this doesn't really change anything.
  • Stop Radioactivity!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
http://whoisosama.tumblr.com/
Dok Choy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
is osama bin laden well known outside of the US?
  • TV people want to leave
I hear a lot of Muslim extremists knew of him...
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • PEW PEW PEW
I'm literally rejoicing at the purported death of that guy they hate on tv. I hope Jon Gosselin is next!
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It's gotten me motivated to do some video game fanart.

I'd show it to you now, but finals are next week so I haven't even had time to start on it. (I really hope nobody on the internet comes up with the exact same idea before then. It seems like a really obvious thing to draw, but that might just be me.)
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm pleased but it's only a small blip on the radar screen. There's still a lot of work to do when it comes t making the world safe and tolerant and not all of it involves killing people. In fact, most of it has to do with changing hearts and minds.But it's a step in the right direction.
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement

There's not much to "feel" about this though. This is just one mass murderer killing another mass murderer. A terrorist killed through terrorism.

Yeah, I think this is what I think about it all. The scale of these events is out of my range of feeling, so I don't feel anything other than that I am observing some apparently important stuff going on far away from me. I'm engaged with it the same way I'm engaged with most current affairs stuff. That means, I don't believe that any of it happened the way it's been presented to me and everyone involved from the event itself to how I hear about it is probably exploiting somebody and lying all over the place.

What is a bit closer to me though is the way a lot of people have had crazy reactions to it. I haven't encountered a lot of celebration, or that kind of sentiment, in Scotland apart from in tabloids. Anyway, grossed out by all of that. Don't see how it does any good to get drunk and celebrate how a terrorist got killed, and sensationalize it all. I really don't understand the kind of person who would react like that at all, unless they were already drunk when they heard about it and just went with the feeling of the evening.

I don't know what it means, if it means anything.
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
But don't people get drunk at wakes? There it's part of celebrating the life of the deceased. So why not celebrate the destruction of an enemy? i mean, I'm not quite ready to acknowledge him as a fellow human being enough to pity or feel sorry for him, at least not yet, and I may never be. In fact I hope I never do.
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • VILLAIN
is osama bin laden well known outside of the US?
Yeah pretty much. We were all Americans on 911, remember?
  • I need to watch things die
This September it will actually be 9/11.
  • VILLAIN
But don't people get drunk at wakes? There it's part of celebrating the life of the deceased. So why not celebrate the destruction of an enemy?
People were mostly celebrating because of a misplaced feeling of superiority. That has nothing to do with what an Irish wake is about.

Really, you don't have to feel sorry for the guy. That's not the point. The problem here is mainly that people are celebrating the actions of a state which has killed many more people than Bin Laden was responsible for. They're celebrating the use and perpetuation of violence in defiance of international law and legally binding treaties, also known as terrorism—except when the US does it, it's called "counter-terrorism". It also shows the basic hypocrisy: if it benefits their side, it's bad, but if it benefits your side, it's good.

Which is not to say that I don't understand why the sentiment exists, but you should give this some thought.

That means, I don't believe that any of it happened the way it's been presented to me and everyone involved from the event itself to how I hear about it is probably exploiting somebody and lying all over the place.

At this rate it hardly matters. There's no independent verification that I know of, so it's remotely possible that Bin Laden wasn't killed that night. In that case, he would have already been dead. I don't think that's the case, though. It probably happened mostly how the US said it did: they went in and killed him, and then dumped his body into the sea. (Which, by the way, is kind of a big fuck you to the Islamic world because it has absolutely nothing to do with proper Islamic burial practices like they awkwardly claimed.)

The most important questions as to how this came to be are related to the Pakistani government and military, but I won't bore you with the details.
  • Administrator
I didn't really care but I the idea of celebrating his death is not totally comfortable, I don't know why.