Music Some of my Music. (Read 383 times)

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
So I just startedlearning how to make music these are some samples. please C&C.

http://soundcloud.com/etaoinshrdlucmfwyp

• I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
good work. now elaborate more on your melodies, and expand your sonic palette to get towards some whole songs and a more varied sound.
  • Administrator
I was just trying out some simple beats and I'm kindof stucked on what to do next. Do you have any good reads on meoldy making
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Like a lot of computer music people, I just learned by playing around. I know some very basic music theory about intervals and chords and have read a very short book on melody that I picked up in my university's music library which I didn't fully understand but most of what I know can be boiled down into 1. pick notes from some scale. 2. find some chords you like the sound of. 3. rearrange in time, instrumentation, transpose up and down octaves until you get bored. most of the other stuff i've read has been about which variations sound like what and how to create interesting variations. If you listen to my music it will be apparent that I'm a bit stronger in audio engineering than melodic/harmonic composition. I just experiment until the song sounds how I want it to. So I'm not the best person in the universe to ask for advice here. As Dose One once said "I trained as an engineer, not as a musician. I just want something that goes BEEEEEEEH." Someone else may be able to provide both of us with a more profound insight into the nature of melody and harmony.
  • Administrator
I was actually reading and watching some stuf about music theory, I guess I've got a begineer understanding but I think it's sufficient enough to start composing. I don't really know though I'd like it to have some kind of goal or info that I know I should learn than just experimenting and stuff.
do you have soundcloud?
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I don't have a soundcloud but I know how you feel wrt wanting to have a goal etc. I had a really long period where I didn't know what I wanted to do musically or have any real motivation beyond wanting to make music for my games and rap beats. Biggest thing that helped me was feeling up pianos a lot, trying to generate enough variation to make longer bits of music and reading a lot of random sound related articles. Making a song of about three minutes in length that sounds like some musical idea you have in mind, even if it's just like "sounds like vidgames dungeon music" or something is probably a reasonable goal. Really the biggest thing you have to develop (in my humble opinion) is not your ability to understand musical theories but your ability to listen to music critically and deconstruct it. This lets you learn things from other people's songs by just listening to them.  Where you go in specifics kind of depends on how you want to sound.
  • Administrator
Yea I think my listening to music really needs some work as well. I'm watching some tutorials and couple of times I'm wondering what they're talking about when they're showing examples as I can't pick up the musical differences and details. I'm also trying to view some midis on fl studio hoping to pick up structural stuff and techniques in composing. I generally aim for video game compositions and maybe some film scores stuff like that.

I have a question about fl studio and i guess other audio softwares, what is xy modulation, i keep seraching the net but can't find an explanation. It doesn't seem to be the same as modulation as in changing scales and it seems integral to learn in controlling the way stuff sound.
  • Group: Member
x-y modulation has to do with the mapping of some property to a graph that you can mess with afterwards I think. In fl studio it should just kind of cloud everything over depending on where you put tha X and the Y. as for music theory, I would say memorize some scales, or at least what scales sound like. My process is usually to pick out bass notes I like then formulate chords on top of those bass lines. You can make every chord fit within your chosen scale, or you can... branch out. melody usually comes last for me, and I don't really put much effort into it. just pick notes in the same key as the bass + chords, it is almost TOO EASY. then again I am usually fine with entirely blocky-ass melody styles, so maybe this is why such little time is spent on that.
anyways I don't follow that format all the time, and I would suggest that you get experimental with it too. I always like music made by people who know little theory.
  • Administrator
I still don't think I get it. maybe I just lack some prerequisite knowledge to completely understand it though i;ve read some music theory and I know modulation has something to do with changinge scale while playing I just don't get the daw implementation with that xy interface and everything. I'll get it soon enough.

Anyway, I've extended the fist track (this was actually made about last month):
www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/452247