Games Sequel to Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam (Read 6556 times)

• Gythol Granditti will be out "soon". Honest.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member

I gotta get serious here for a moment, since the first project was a sizable chunk of my life. The Barkley 2 kickstarter is going to get funded no matter what, the Barkley IP and legacy from the first game is so strong it's likely to get much more than it ever needs. So the game is going to continue development, there's little question about that, but what does matter is how this all ends up. I'm really only posting so all the people involved on the project read this, since I've only ever spoken to Chef and Bort about this:

Every single person on the team is responsible for the success of this game. Anyone not willing to grind their bones to make it happen should quit right now, no matter the size of their role. This isn't a volunteer effort, people are going to put money up front to see this happen and if nothing is produced it's going to be a crying shame.

This doesn't need to be the best game ever. It could be, but it doesn't have to and is unrealistic to expect. There's still plenty of time to make more games, like the final title in the Barkley series. But it would be a mistake to shoot for the stars and end up with nothing, when something good that sees the light of day is what people would appreciate a million times more.

Everyone loses if a game isn't produced. On the flip side, it would be a great victory to get something out there that the fans can enjoy.
  • Master of Puppets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Just out of curiosity, are you guys experiencing any sort of legal issues from Charles Barkley or the company that made Shut up and Jam? I would assume with money involved you guys have to be more careful about legality issues than with Barkley 1. It would break a lot of hearts if this got shut down, and I just hope you guys have that all figured out.
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Hey GZ

Thank you for the advice. We are all working incredibly hard on this game, especially this past week. The week leading up to the Kickstarter (it will be next week, we were originally planning for this week) has been very difficult, but we've also got a lot of great work done and I think people will be pleased. We have huge ambitions for this game, but your advice is spot on. If things get out of hand, we will scale back. I am confident we can live up to, if not surpass, the original Barkley and our standards. The work has been nerve-wracking at times, especially recently, but I think it will be worth it.

I also wanted to say that Barkley 1 would not exist without you, so thank you for everything. I hope everything goes really well with Gythol Granditti; we'll support it as much as we can and try to get the word out.

I know we've said it a million times before, but you're the best, GZ!

Thanks man.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys experiencing any sort of legal issues from Charles Barkley or the company that made Shut up and Jam? I would assume with money involved you guys have to be more careful about legality issues than with Barkley 1. It would break a lot of hearts if this got shut down, and I just hope you guys have that all figured out.
We are being very, very careful with this!!
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • now das fresh
  • Group: Member
If this isn't the right time/place feel free to ignore this but do you have any details on what the game is being developed with? Is it going to be RpgMakerSomething, GameMaker, custom, any details?
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
Yeah, it's GM like the original Barkley.
  • now das fresh
For some reason I was thinking the original was RM2k3 or something, I don't know why. I knew the sewer goblet was GM I don't know why i didn't make the connection.
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
Well, technically, it was in rm2k originally, before it was moved to GM.
  • destroyer of mayos
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
& the demo was in rm2k
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yo if i recall right, Obsidian does offer some help for new kickstarters (cos there's apparently lot of "beartraps"/mistakes you can do when you try to organize it) so just dropping that here just in case (cos they seemed to be open about helping ANYONE on the matter, plus they finished a pr succesful kickstarter a month ago. i guess homestuck is next succesful but w/e back to topic).
  • [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I have seen it first hand, this game is A.W.F.U.L.

- laz "fedora gamer" rool
  • [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Hey chef, maybe yuo should post one (1) screenshot in here, after all... this is where bakkuri SaGa got started afaik............
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
you got some nerve, punk... who do ya think u r...

also they'd better save any screenshot for kickstarter cos it can get pr Savage @ kickstarter projects (MORE MORE MORE waaah answer)
  • VILLAIN
  • Group: Administrator
One article has been posted thus far that contains screenshots. http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632  In case you're interested. More information will be available very very soon when the kickstarter goes up.
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i had no ide- ahaha holy shiiiiiiiit a pair of bony arms struck out at & from Chaos Engine's grave, a bony klack klack klack!! echoes in the graveyard as the bony arms excitedly clap at barkley 2

EDIT chef will u promise to make midi/sega genesis soundfont michael jackson music for this...???
  • You probally thought you werent gunna die today suprise!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
$35,000 is gunna get you a lot of clean diapers and limited edition Teletubby fan-art. props
  • Master of Puppets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
One article has been posted thus far that contains screenshots. http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632  In case you're interested. More information will be available very very soon when the kickstarter goes up.

I am giving you guys a shitload of money. This looks so good.
Please sell an organ or commit some crimes to support this video game.
  • Dead man
Please sell an organ or commit some crimes to support this video game.

When the news crew asked why you did it the crime tell them you did is for the shackles... I did it for Barkley.
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• Real-time weapon change
  • PipPip
I will give as much as I can afford. Maybe I'll pawn some of my stuff to give more.
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
pawned, hah. pawned- ahhaha my posts are really horrible today, gotta stop 4 today... sorry chef... still waitin for mj genesis confirmation...