Help Dual monitors: MOAR power? (Read 879 times)

• Group: Member
Hi guys!
I just bought a new 32" widescreen LCD and I'm using it as a primary monitor for my rig. Now I'm thinking of plugging in my old 15" tablet monitor as a secondary (too late working on C4D with a mouse now that I'm used to the pen XD ). Since I'm new to multi-monitoring I've got a few questions...
- First and foremost, my specs:
  • Mobo: Gigabyte 6-Quad 959
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1
  • Memory: 1GB DDR2 RAM (x2)
  • Power: 450w power supply
  • Storage: 3 HDDs + DVD-RW
  • GPU: GeForce 8800 GTS

- And the question: Do I need more power? Since the mobo doesn't have it's own monitor plug I'm plugging both on my GPU.
- Second question: Will the GPU get fried from running two at the same time (even on the long run)? I noticed a 1-2°C increase in the GPU's temperature (using Everest) when I had both monitors on.
Under Destruction
  • now das fresh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Uh, you do know that monitors get their power from the WALL right?

And no, running 2 monitors on an 8800GTS is not going to stress them out at all.
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
Uh... I'm asking about my computer, not the monitors. :mellow:
Will running two monitors on the same GPU (or in general) require more power from the PCU? and will that harm the GPU on the long run?
Under Destruction
  • now das fresh
No, running any number of monitors doesn't require any "more power." The GPU will have to work a little harder (not really, it's just rendering a larger area) so yeah it will, in that sense, take a little more power I guess. Probably not but definitely nothing you'd need to get a new power supply for.

Now if you are also asking if your rig in general (just the components of the computer themselves) would need a better PSU, maybe. Not really sure on that.
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
And no, running 2 monitors on an 8800GTS is not going to stress them out at all.

Running two monitors requires only a minimal amount of extra power to run.  If you are cloning the screens (displaying the same screen on both) all the card has to do is send the same signal through two different lines.  If you are using it to extend your desktop, it only requires slightly more power to handle the larger viewing area.

Edit: GR beat me  :fogetcry:
  • now das fresh
still the kang baby
Thanks, both of ye!
But hey, how 'slightly' is slightly? :shady: They way I see it, I'm pushing my PSU to the limits with 3 HDDs and the 8800.
Anyways, here's a more technical question: Is it possible to plug an extra mouse and keyboard to use the desktop on the secondary while running a fullscreen game on the primary?
Under Destruction
  • Got the powerup and won the game
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
In every operating system I've seen, that's not possible, sorry.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about upgrading your PSU until you actually start to experience problems (and believe me, if all you're doing is adding another monitor, that's not going to make you start). It's rare that all of those devices are drawing their peak power all at once, so your power supply can probably handle it.
  • Chapter Four: The Imagination And Where It Leads
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Dude look your graphics card has two monitor ports, it's DESIGNED to take two monitors. The power draw from doing this is inconsequential. All that happens is your GPU does a tiny little bit more work (and trust me, drawing a Windows desktop is nothing to a modern GPU) and uses a little bit more vram.