Tech Monitoring router traffic (Read 76 times)

• Mosth Fearshomist Pirate Eversh.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Is there a way to view the type of traffic going through my router?  There are a number of computers connected to it, and I want to see what kind of content some of the machines are viewing.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v7.  My computer is wired into it, running XP.  The system I want to monitor is running Vista, running wirelessly.

Bonus points if you know of a way to block certain websites to certain machines on the network.
  • Got the powerup and won the game
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Unless your router has some built-in feature to log traffic (I'm guessing no) the only way to do it would be to set up a traffic monitor on the machine(s) you're interested in or alternatively set up a traffic monitor on another machine that sits between the router and the connection to your ISP.

Edit because I just noticed the other machine is on wireless: It's a lot easier to monitor wireless traffic. If you have a second wireless computer, you can set up something like Wireshark on it and be able to log the packets going in and out of the other wireless computer.
  • Mosth Fearshomist Pirate Eversh.
  • PipPip
Unless your router has some built-in feature to log traffic (I'm guessing no)...

Checking this, I discovered that my router does indeed, have such a feature.  (I used the auto-install disc, and didn't bother checking the router configuration tool.  :sweat: )  I can view the IPs of all machines connected to the router, and the router generates a log of all the IPs that attempted to connect to any HTTP.  All I have to do is view the page, match it to the IP, and I know who's been viewing what.

To top it off, it has a filter I didn't know about as well.  I can block URLs or keywords, and I can go so far as to block content for specific IPs, thus allowing me to customize.

Wireshark looks exceedingly useful though.  I believe I will make use of it.  Thank you.