FPS Doom 4 takes the fight to EARTH!! (Read 1194 times)

• Contender
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
DOOM 4 is officially entering development, as id Software today began accepting applications for employment to work on the game. Just as big in the "news" category: DOOM 4 will take place on Earth.
To get DOOM 4 off on the right development foot, id Software is expanding its internal team to work on the title, which will presumably ship for PS3 and Xbox 360 in addition to a PC version.

In its now-hiring announcement, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead said, "DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth. It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

• kaworu*Sigh*Isnt he the cutest person ever
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
So they're doing a remake of Doom2 this time. does this mean that the next doom will be about ridiculous puzzle maps?
  • I did ok on this one but his feet are kinda wierd!
  • PipPipPipPip
Heh heh tricks n' traps.
tricks n' traps.

This is kinda exciting. I know Doom3 wasn't as good as the originals... but hey, it's ID software. Everything they make turns to gold.
  • THE FAT ONE
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i just had a friendly chat with the dudes at id and they sent me two exclusive screenshots.

(ingame shot not prerendered)

these graphics look phenomenal, dudes.  goty 2010
  • I did ok on this one but his feet are kinda wierd!
  • PipPipPipPip
Well see, this is why people used the flashlight mod instead of playing the game normally. It saves time and allows you to see all of them beautiful textures.
  • Fuck off!
  • Group: Member
thats the first time i laughed out loud from gw in a month

thanks marcus :D

i hated doom3 btw and im not too keen a fan of the earlier either (I did play doom back in the game but I was never really a fan)
  • BAA2U
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Please be a new engine, Doom 3 has been stretched too far, damnit.
  • Artist, novelist, gamer, and friend.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I enjoyed Doom3 because I don't care about Doom. Never liked the original, the movement was a pain in the ass. No strifing? Gimme a break. (I know it was added later, by then I don't care)
Doom certainly has a special appeal to it, non-gameplay wise. All that hellspawning and shit. I hope Hell on Earth is just as fucked as the end of Doom3.
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
...Strafing was NOT added later. It was always there...

But yeah, this is stupid: I thought they were going to finish RAGE before moving on to Doom 4?

Cause I remember reading they did say they wanted to do Doom 4, a new Wolfenstein and perhaps another Quake game in the future, but I thought that future was POST-RAGE future.....

I think this is going too fast. But yeah, I'd give it a shot if possible anyway. Even though DooM 3 was a giant letdown, it was quite enjoyable one time through.
I loved the first doom and still do (it has fun level designs, an actual plot and interesting enemies) but Doom3 I only enjoyed on my first playthrough. After that it just became boring. Doom2 and ultimate doom were just blehg fun but nothing truely great imo. and resurrection of evil was just plain shit.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
Please be a new engine, Doom 3 has been stretched too far, damnit.

I'm assuming they would be using their new id Tech 5 engine.  It is the engine they developed for that Rage game.  It has some good features, but I've yet to be really 'wowed' by it.
  • BAA2U
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Tech 3 engine really wowed me. Great framerate and smooth netplay in just about any instance I saw it used in. Seeing how awful Tech 4 failed in both those aspects (and capped framerate? wtf), I'm hoping id is going in another direction with tech 5. I'm not as interested in the new games id makes, as much as the new engines they make for them. They'll be hard pressed to try to make something that rivals epic's Unreal Engine 3.
  • rap singing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I didn't really like Doom 3. I loved the first two and played through it on PC and Xbox and didn't enjoy it that much either time. The first-person survival horror thing was cool for a while but it became so predictable and dull towards the end. I liked some elements (the audio files and stuff you picked up were cool, except a lot of the time they were like keys except you listened for a code).

That said I'm still semi excited for the announcement of a new doom game, I just hope they make it less dark and more enjoyable.
  • Developer of "Eternal Conflict" Series
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I played through Doom 3 about 2 years ago when I first got my laptop.  My only real complaint is the darkness.  The audio logs as PTizzle said didn't add much to the story, and where usually used as codes to the numerous supply cabinets thrown all over the place.

also, from what I can remember, nothing was really explained as to why everything was happening (typical mad scientist tries to use demons as weapons/cataclysm)  I did get a hold of Resurrection of Evil, but gave up at the first boss.  I didn't really care too much for it...  nothing really new except a gravity gun ripoff.

As for it being located on Earth...  does it really surprise anyone?  Doom 3 was a remake of the original, if they made a sequel to follow Final Doom/Ultimate Doom (whatever one was last)  Most people would be lost (since a lot of newer gamers may not have played the original.)

I'm going to keep my eye on this, but I'm not really hyped up for it.
g.gun ripoff was mad gay, but somewhat odd ads DSOJOM3's version waas in development before HL2 came out because the developers used it to create QWRECKED MAPS, so i dunno if it be called a rip off
  • Scanner
  • Group: Member
I played through Doom 3 for the first time actually only a little while ago (couple of months, no more then 6 I'd say) and I have to say I don't think it is really as bad as most people seem to make it out to be, nor as good as the reviews said it was when it first came out. It was a fun shooter, maybe a tad repetitive in some spots and increasingly less scary/creepy as you went on in the game (because it kept throwing that same basic 'jump out of the darkness' spook at you over and over. Making you prepared for the scares.) but fun nonetheless. it would obviously not be very fun for a second go through but I rarely play through story mode more then once, there are to many other games that I have not played through yet to play through a game twice.

I never bothered with the multiplayer though and now I'm curious but not curious enough to reinstall it for just online play, was multiplayer any good? does anyone still play it?
  • Developer of "Eternal Conflict" Series
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Quote from: Kaworu
g.gun ripoff was mad gay, but somewhat odd ads DSOJOM3's version waas in development before HL2 came out because the developers used it to create QWRECKED MAPS, so i dunno if it be called a rip off
Half Life 2 came out a year before Resurrection of Evil, so it's safe to say it was a ripoff, even if development may have started sooner, or whatever.  Anyways, what is DSOJOM3? and QWRECKED?

Quote from: warpped655
--Words--
I'll admit, Doom 3 WAS fun.  I played through once, and it started getting dull about the mid point.  I was going to play through it again, but decided against it, since...  Well it just wasn't fun anymore.  I think the fact that it was DOOM 3 got it some high scores...  perhaps the reviewers though it would be as good as the original, and gave it a score before playing it.  As for the low scores...  The game is only fun about one time through, and even the multiplayer sucks, so after one time through you may as well delete the game, and sell it to someone else.
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Half Life 2 came out a year before Resurrection of Evil, so it's safe to say it was a ripoff.
It wasn't, but hey, whatever.

Anyway, I hope Doom 4 has more... idk, variation than Doom 3. I absolutely loved playing through Doom 3 the first time. Second time through however was just dull. The game relies a lot on surprises and cheap tricks, and even if it doesn't actually do them very well at all, it just worked on me. But second time through when you know what's coming up, it's not scary anymore and therefore isn't fun. I think the biggest issues with the game were enemies that were more like circus clowns than scary (upside down faces with legs, and a goddamn slow as hell rocket launcher skeleton, I mean I know you want the enemies from the original back but this is ridiculous) and also that most of them were no threat at all. The only enemies you were actually afraid of were the zombie soldiers, because they did almost unavoidable damage with their miniguns and tentacle arms.
  • professional disappointment
In its now-hiring announcement, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead said, "DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth. It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."
you hear this guys it's CRITICAL to have sharp minds because dull minds are completely unable of lots of blood and different kinds of gun's [and ][/and]

i kinda feel bad for people like this who look at something like DOOM as a project requiring TALENT and SPECIAL INDIVIDUALS

really the only thing you need to make a doom game is a BOX that says DOOM 4 and a GUY WITH A GUN on the cover. even if the box has nothing in it, you'll still sell a lot of copies(and somehow THAT GUY will still post lots on the internet about how great it is[rated ][/rated]). but maybe it takes A TRUE VISIONARY to make such an empty box??????????????

i have lots to learn in the ways of the vidcong
Hundley, welcome to the world of the FPS.