Question When did you first find out you were a racist? (Read 10631 times)

• PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I wasn't ever racist as a kid. There weren't ever loads of minorities in my classes, but there were always some. back then I never even identified them as minorities, they were other kids. I dunno if children even have the capacity for racism without some external influence.

At my old college here in Reading, black and white people generally mesh really well and there's no racial tension. Again, it was just like PEOPLE. There probably were some racists since there were loads of homophobic bigots and misogynists, but you're 99% more likely to find one of those than a racist. It's still OK to dislike homosexuals (God said so), and misogyny lol whats that???I thought everyone acted this way towards women! Racism--that's immoral. ugh I don't even know what to say about this, just thank fucking god it stops somewhere.

Given the above, it was pretty disturbing going to philly and seeing BLACKS AND NON BLACKS in two separate groups. cities are generally filled with angry people, but there's a racism against black people there that I didn't know existed in this part of the country. on the other side if you're white you'll get harassed every now and then, and twice as much if you're a woman. I haven't lived there yet so I'll have to see how it goes, I'll be in a nicer area though so there will probably be less anger in general

Around here (Reading) there's a growing racism against hispanics. They're generally poor, and sometimes uneducated. Hispanic people commit most of the crimes, and the crime often goes with them when they spread to another area. That sentence felt fuckng awful but it's what people use to make racist remarks all the time. The city of Reading itself kind of went to hell years ago, and some people tend to blame the hispanics. all i can say is fuck da republicans

This topic is great because it will reveal closet racists.
  • Guild Wars Vet.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I'm somewhat racist against white people.
Yay! Random words!

"Hey don't hotlink images for your avatar. Upload it in GW Uploader or imageshack or something"
  • Dad Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
all indians cheat

no seriously it is digusting, I took a night time class and it was 90% indians and the teacher was indian and he was terrible, on a test day the teacher left the country for india or something and we had an indian proctor who was apparently the room mate of some of the indians in the class  so they all cheated in punjabi or something. I do know some cool indians but only 2.
Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:51:18 pm by leafo
http://itch.io - sell your indie games
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
When I was younger I spent a lot of time living with my grandparents, they are patriots and fought in wars etc, basically they are the "White is right" generation. They would come out with a lot of racial slurs.

At school a muslim started in our class and I called her a Paki and got sent home. I was about 5 or 6 so I didn't really understand, I thought that was the correct term, I got into a lot of crap for it in school, since then I've tried to be as tolerable as possible with other races no matter how much they annoy me.

i've always had a problem with the idea of tolerating other races and cultures. it's not a good thing at all, it means there is tension and i'd say unless there is a valid reason like "i don't like the hizb ut-tarir cos they want to kill me and take over the world" then you are just letting cowardice, pettiness and anger take a hold of the way you view the world. i think an entirely better attitude would be to try and accept others instead of tolerate, and if you honestly can't do that for good reasons then okay. but it's obvious even from the first couple of lines here that yes, you are entirely racist and you aren't trying at all.

I.e Near where I live there is a town that 75% of the population are muslims,

what town is this?

as a white male of 18 years, walking through some of the more rougher parts at night with or without a group would most likely result in me getting stabbed or the shit kicked out of me. (These are not your typical muslims btw, the majority of them are in gangs, drink and smoke, rape white girls etc.

if these thugs are actually raping women, drinking and smoking then they aren't muslims. they may be in some ridiculous extremist group calling themselves muslims, but they aren't.

I'm not racist but I hate it when other races use "The race card" as a last resort during an argument. A friend of mine who is not raciest got kicked out of college for racism because he tried to stop a muslim from winding him up, he didn't swear or call him a raciest name but did get into an argument, as a lost resort the muslim told the teacher he was being a racist and he was removed. Which tbh is pretty fucked up, considering my friend has been a British citizen for 18 years of his life and the Muslim, about 9.

excellent opening sentence "i'm not racist." - this is an obvious stab to take here but really, you are ticking all the boxes for megaracist as i read through this post.

does someone being a citizen of a country for longer make them a better person? does this guy's word not have as much reliability simply because he has been in britain for less time than your buddy.

also i don't believe for a second that your buddy wasn't being a big prick so tell us what he said.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying ALL muslims act like this, but pretty much all of them (save a few) who I've encountered in my life have been hostile towards white people and seem to think they are gangster by running about with knives stabbing people.

you don't know what a muslim is at all, so stop making assumptions about what they are like.

Polish people seem to be fucking everywhere in Britain right now as well. They work for like £1 an hour so they are messing up family businesses, tradesmen and the economy.

i'm glad to see that your awfulness isn't restricted to islamophobia.

My Dad works as a plasterer and charges a fairly reasonable rate, a woman wouldn't pay what he quoted her and got some polish people in to do the plastering for like half the price. Two weeks later my Dad gets a call, the same woman wants him to come in and repair her ceiling and walls as the Polish plasterers fucked it up so much so that she needed to have the walls repaired. Apparently one of them even plastered over an electrical socket. My Dad did cut some of the price down for her because he felt sorry for her, but still.

if your dad's rate is really so reasonable, why is it even possible for other tradesfolk to come in and do it for half price? they've got a profit margin, too. if these polish plasterers messed up this job then maybe it is true that they messed up the job, maybe they were even using poorer quality materials to do the job (and thus widen the profit margin allowing them to lower their rate), but you haven't said any of that. you assume that because these guys are polish they are up to something nefarious and they are ruining the country!

i live in a terrible town which is basically closing down but i've seen no evidence of polish people gaining a monopoly on employment - yeah, there are quite a few around in entry level jobs these days but the reason they are able to do this is because young british people who would be working in these jobs are too fucking lazy to get the jobs. i know people who go to the gym every day and are on the dole. i'm too damn lazy to work full time one of these jobs. there are a lot of people like me and it creates some pretty big space in the job market. i mean really i don't give a shit about this but it is where your shitty reasoning comes from. "oh of course i would get a job, if it weren't for these immigrants!!!"

there is also the fact that according to a frackin government report i read, immigration had a slightly positive economic impact last year. immigrants are not bad for the economy - i'm not making any assumptions that they couldn't ever be, but your off hand comments about how they are "messing up family businesses, tradesmen and the economy" is just totally unsubstantiated bullshit.

I would say I'm about 5% raciest, but thats only because Muslims, Greeks and the Polish have pissed me off for most of my life. (Everyone else is cool with me.)

don't kid yourself guy, you're racist.
Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:56:15 pm by real_jamicus
  • kaworu*Sigh*Isnt he the cutest person ever
I'm about 5% racist, 7% Nazi, 25% homosexual and 12% Catholic.
I love online tests.
  • some sort of land-cow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Whenever I think about the way people of different races or cultures interact, I try to remind myself that MOST people are idiots, so the chances are that when idiots of one culture meet idiots from another, some shit is going to go down.
outerspacepotatoman
  • ブラウンの人
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
oh man real_jamicus did an awesome job before I even scrolled down :(​.

I would say I'm about 5% raciest, but thats only because Muslims, Greeks and the Polish have pissed me off for most of my life. (Everyone else is cool with me.)

Greeks = from Greece
Polish = from Poland
Muslim = from....Muslimaland

dude muslim isn't a set of people its a religion (islam) which, in my life I've encountered in white, black, brown and even yellow. So which kind of muslims did you meet that you hated? let me guess :D ....Punjabis!

Which tbh is pretty fucked up, considering my friend has been a British citizen for 18 years of his life and the Muslim, about 9.

what does that have anything to do with the situation you're british citizen friend was in? again, muslim and british are in DIFFERENT categories. One is a religion sir and the other one is a...er NOT A RELIGION

When I first came to Canada I was completely raped by racism. Mostly from drunk college white kids. Mind you I moved to a "ghetto" area which as very brown. We moved to this set of apartments which had a huge playground between 3 apartment buildings. One day a friend and I were just messing around in the park. He was afghani and we were doing pretty nothing out of boredom, when all of a sudden on the 5th floor there was this group of white people in their balcony with beer bottles in their hands who started screaming at us. "go back to your country you fucking paki" etc. I'd kinda gotten used to being called a paki cus their were a lot of racists. I didn't say anything when they were yelling random things, but my afghani friend, with the minimal english he had picked up around the streets said to them to fuck off. It was very bad as they responded my chucking beer bottles off the balcony. One hit my friend on his shoulder and he literally passed out. We were around 8-9 back then. As soon as my friend passed out the drunk guys stopped yelling and stuff and started realizing how stupid their actions were. They started yellling at each other. And here I am shocked that my friend is on the road not moving at all. When this happened random people around the area started gathering up and I got help from this MASSIVE white lady and she called the cops and everything. When I looked up the guys were gone from their balcony. When the cops arrived they started questioning me and I told them everything that I saw that happened. My friend was alright and I pointed out which balcony the bottles came from. I didn't tell the cop about them being racist because I didn't think it would matter. That was one of my first actual racial encounters. Usually it would be verbal so It didn't bother me much.
  • Captalist pig :|
  • PipPipPipPipPip
if your dad's rate is really so reasonable, why is it even possible for other tradesfolk to come in and do it for half price? they've got a profit margin, too. if these polish plasterers messed up this job then maybe it is true that they messed up the job, maybe they were even using poorer quality materials to do the job (and thus widen the profit margin allowing them to lower their rate), but you haven't said any of that. you assume that because these guys are polish they are up to something nefarious and they are ruining the country!

i live in a terrible town which is basically closing down but i've seen no evidence of polish people gaining a monopoly on employment - yeah, there are quite a few around in entry level jobs these days but the reason they are able to do this is because young british people who would be working in these jobs are too fucking lazy to get the jobs. i know people who go to the gym every day and are on the dole. i'm too damn lazy to work full time one of these jobs. there are a lot of people like me and it creates some pretty big space in the job market. i mean really i don't give a shit about this but it is where your shitty reasoning comes from. "oh of course i would get a job, if it weren't for these immigrants!!!"

I agree with you that a lot of people use the excuse that THE POLISH ARE TAKING ALL OUR JOBS!!! to prevent them getting a job.

They're not, but it does make it harder that they are willing to work for a smaller wage (sometimes below minimum wage) and do more hours than the average worker. I think it's a culture thing or something, but whilst I've been working with the Polish people in the factory I'm at at the moment I've noticed that they are very hard workers. I've been speaking to a few polish works and they have said that they basically come to Britain short term and earn some money to send back to their family in Poland and becuase of the good exchange rate, the money is worth more in Poland than it is in Britain.

So the only way its kind of fucking british people's jobs up is that now the bar has been raised and the typical worker doesn't really want to meet them (and I don't really blame them becuase some of these Polish people work really hard for what appears to us to be shit money)
  • thx ds k?
ive just been wondering... is there anny connection between zionism and trechery??? hehe thx in advance ^^
  • sea of vodka
yeah i don't think i was really racist as a kid either, but i was pretty CLUELESS for a while i think, when it came to what to think about ebonics//USE OF WORD NIGGA//welfare//baggy jeans and how i sort of inappropriately associated those types of things with being a stupid thug or some shit.  it took me kind of a while to get the whole african american subculture in general, actually, but i don't think i was ever really racist about it so much as just kind of ignorant.
  • I fear and I tremble
I was racist as a kid unwittingly, I remember asking my black friend if his skin got extra hot when he was out in the sun.
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • thx ds k?
on a serious note i don't think i was ever racist really! i grew up in maryland so maybe this was why but i remember when i moved down to virginia a lot of my friends would go around saying NIGGER and shit even though we were like 10! i would always get kind of OFFENDED when they said that and eventually they just stopped using ironic racist jokes around me.
  • thx ds k?
yeah i really had no concept of what racism was until i moved to the south! both of my parents were never racist and it just wasn't discussed much or if it was i wasn't aware of it. i had never encountered it until i moved down to good ole' sweet virginia.
  • kaworu*Sigh*Isnt he the cutest person ever
both my parents are somewhat racist so I've always known about it. But as a kid most've my friends were of variety of races, gre up with that and I just don't relly notice that kinda thing these days. I've never gotten how people can feel/think that way against... people. I don't see races/nationalism shit so I can't stand it when people say "britain for the british" and whatnot, it's land, they're people, we still have room, y'know.
Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:06:38 pm by The Octave Doctor
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
well I grew up in toronto which is supposed to be one of the most multicultural cities in the world and so my early childhood was like one of those ridiculous kid's shows like Captain Planet or the Magic School Bus where my group of friends actually consisted of a black kid, an indian kid, an asian kid, a white kid, etc. We were a diverse bunch. I don't think I really understood what racism actually was until I was like 12 or 13 and I started seeing it more and more in movies and tv and whatever.
This is pretty much it for me! My best friends were black, mulatto, and Hispanic and I don't think I was even aware of it until I was about 12 or 13. I was the only white kid on my track team but it was never an issue and I didn't really realize it. I didn't really become aware of race until I entered my early teens, and I think this is because I had it so well and that I was a pretty oblivious kid in general! I don't think it's that I was unaware of racism, I was unaware of race at all. I knew about Martin Luther King Jr. and Caesar Chavez and all of these race activists but that didn't seem to apply to me. The people around me were just my friends. I guess it's kind of sad that I've lost that innocence.

I'm pretty interested in race now though, especially the interaction of different peoples throughout history, the movement and assimilation of different peoples, and the genetic differences and similarities between people. I'm not sure when I became interested in this (I guess it's anthropology? I don't know) but I really like learning about different people and cultures and spend a lot of time doing it. One of the most interesting things I've read about so far are the Tarim Basin Mummies, a group of thousand year-old Caucasian and East Asian mummies found together in the Tarim Basin in China. What's even more interesting to me than the fact that they found Caucasians in China is that the burial ground is multi-ethnic, that these settlers recognized the value of multiple people and coexisted together. That's pretty neat to me. Another pretty interesting thing I've learned is that the closest genetic relative of the Sami people of Finland are the Berbers of North Africa. I want to learn more about the similarities between these people, when they split apart, their origins. Even more interesting than that is that scientists have shown that the closest genetic relatives of the Native Americans are the Tuvans of Central Asia. Evidently, ancestors of the Tuvans migrated over the Siberian land bridge and settled America. This is something we already knew, but I think it's really neat that we've been able to pinpoint the exact people.

What I'm afraid of is that my interest in race makes me racist! I want to learn more about race and genetics not to prove anything, but because I think it's really interesting and that there's a lot we can learn from it. I mentioned the Sami-Berber thing because I want to see how these people drifted apart over time and what similarities they've maintained, but also the differences they've evolved from their surroundings. I want to see how people changed over time and where people came from. This is a neat area of study but I'm pretty sure it MAKES ME RACIST!!!
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • What, me worry?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Guys is this racist?

Ryan Jenq is a young established film maker, an auteur, if I may, boasting wuxia masterpieces such as "Rap Battle 2000", "Bulletball of Death" and "My Chinese Father: Story of Wong Fong Fortune Cookie". He once filmed a fortune cookie for an hour and called it 'art'.
  • sea of vodka
This is pretty much it for me! My best friends were black, mulatto, and Hispanic and I don't think I was even aware of it until I was about 12 or 13. I was the only white kid on my track team but it was never an issue and I didn't really realize it. I didn't really become aware of race until I entered my early teens, and I think this is because I had it so well and that I was a pretty oblivious kid in general! I don't think it's that I was unaware of racism, I was unaware of race at all. I knew about Martin Luther King Jr. and Caesar Chavez and all of these race activists but that didn't seem to apply to me. The people around me were just my friends. I guess it's kind of sad that I've lost that innocence.
MULATTO

what the hell dude

also i don't see how this makes you racist???
  • sea of vodka
ps you guys waiters are like some of the most consistent people in terms of JUDGING BASED ON RACE so if you are a darkie or an indian or something tip like 25% so they will maybe reconsider their preconceptions.  seriously like, there's a ridiculous ratio of white tables who tip 5% vs black tables who tip 5%; i really wish people wouldn't reinforce stereotypes by doing shit like RUNNING YOU AROUND, THEN BEING CHEAP.
  • TV people want to leave
Every time I get upset that Kristin Kreuk is playing Chun-Li, I always feel racist in some sort of way.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • thx ds k?
if you were a waiter in lynchburg you should be racist against white people. i am not joking when i say on sunday afternoons when the flood of church people hit the restaurants instead of tipping with money they leave these little cards saying JESUS LOVES YOU or some shit with the address for their church!