Error ipod solved. windows sp2 problem. hlep;; (Read 1288 times)

• lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I have the newest ipod nano, the little tiny ass silver one. there was an upgrade available on itunes for the nano so i decided to do it. then when i tried running it on my itunes it said it couldnt work because i needed to upgrade to the newest version of itunes. i tried the update button and it said no new update was found. i was mildly dumbfounded, it said i needed itunes 7.6. then i searched online, found it ,and downloaded it. i decided to install it but then... DUN DUN DUN it said it requires windows service pack 2 in order to work. me and windows service pack 2 dont get along. ive tried to install sp2 multiple times but all it ends up doing is nuking my computer. so that means i cant update my ipod with new tunes. so that was the story and the question is pretty simple.

is there a way to revert your ipod to an earlier update? kind of like the way system restore works on windows or something. thanks.

Okay so here's the new problem, which is a tad bit worse. I managed to upgrade my drivers and shit and ended up installing windows sp2 again. it worked! yay! oh wait, now the problem is that whenever i log into my windows account, and everything starts to load. once i do ANYTHING the desktop becomes unresponsive and the start bar/menu/everything else including icons and shit on the desktop start blinking, on and off. nothing is responsive and the only thing i can use is firefox. i managed to get into firefox because when i installed windowsblinds(talk about it below)i can hit buy and it pops up firefox (since i am using the trial version). i can try to get into files by putting "c:" in the firefox link bar and stuff. ctrlaltdel doesnt work. i cant get into windows restore because my start bar doesnt work. i am not entirely sure if i can run programs via firefox but i tried downloading the new stardock custom bar shit or whatever because i was using an old one and thought that was causing the problem and it actually let me install it/restart but it didnt do anything but make the start bar look pretty while it blinks violently. ok, that was pretty much all the info i collected so far. help please.

edit:
extra bonus, i can access ctrl alt delete if i dont touch anything and can browse through it using only the keyboard.
when i get kicked off ctrl alt delete (when i do anything on it, like end a program etc) it says "windows prevented 'run dll as an app' from running"
Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:40:30 am by TrickLobster
  • sea of vodka
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
does formatting do it?  i feel like when i had an old ipod and would update the firmware, if i ever formatted it, it'd either revert to the factory default firmware, or i'd have to update it with whatever version came with the cd, which was pretty much always outdated.  so yeah maybe try formatting it and then installing the one that came with the cd.
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
the new ones don't come with the cd or anything. they come ready to go. and i wouldnt want to format it, to have it not work and then lose some of the music i no longer have. if no other alternative pops up ill try formatting it.
  • now das fresh
well man if formatting works you will lose your stuff i mean the point of an ipod is that it's synced with your itunes right? so the idea would be you format it and then re-sync.
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
yea... how do you format the ipod nano? i searched on google but to no avail.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
In itunes there should be an option called "restore" which restores it to factory settings when you click on the ipod itself rather than the music library
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
the main problem is itunes cant work with my ipod because i do not have the newest version which doesnt work because i dont have windows sp2.
  • The man in the woods.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I use win2k and have the same problems (upgraded nano no longer works on this pc). I wish I knew this little bit of information ahead of time. I understand that win2k lost support in dec 07... but I had no idea upgrading the firmware would keep me from being able to use it on my pc.

Fuckos.
Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:33:59 am by KBJGXLM
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
bumpzorz.
  • sea of vodka
why uh

why don't you just get sp2?
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
i did get sp2, and thats whats causing all of the shenanigans described in the first post. (different problem now.)
  • Chapter Four: The Imagination And Where It Leads
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
try booting into safe mode (press and hold F8 while the computer is booting)
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
i booted it it up in safe mode, it worked, uninstalled a few things. the violent blinking is gone but the taskbar/desktop is still unresponsive

Recently, everytime I load up my computer, log in under my user name, Windows loads up like normal, with one minor difference. The start button, taskbar, and system tray are all completely unresponsive. My cursor turns to an hourglass whenever it hovers over any of the aforementioned. About half of the normal icons in my System tray are present, so it seems as if it all half-loads and then somehow just freezes. Through the task manager, or desktop icons, I can still do everything as normal, except windows don't show in the taskbar, etc - as it is frozen. The windows key is unresponsive also.

Searching on Microsoft's support, they said to disable to SSMP adapter, which I did to no avail. Hoping others might have some ideas.

I've already loaded up in Safe Mode (with the taskbar working) and run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, the VX2 Add-On for Ad-Aware, Trend Micro's CWShredder, Norton Anti-virus, and defragged my harddrive without any change.

It seems to be a start-up problem. I also don't think it's a hardware issue so much as software; given that it seems to work fine in Safe Mode.

this is exactly my problem, found it on google but with no answer to it. yea.
Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:04:32 pm by TrickLobster
  • Meh.
run an AVG scan and the TrojanRemover program. Also you might want to look into something like RegisteryBooster2.
m
ohap
  • MAZIIIIIN GO!! PILEDER ON!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
... How long has this installation been running for?

if you're a vegan you support baby killers
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
uh the install takes around 40 minutes but ive tried it multiple times and it never works.
  • now das fresh
i think he means how long have you been running this Windows installation, like... the installation of the OS itself like how long since you last reformatted?

edit: well maybe he doesn't mean that
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
If it's that then, since i got it like 4 years ago. hollah.
  • Meh.
OH! duh, update all your drivers, they could be conflicting with windows. Chipsets, graphic card, etc.
m
ohap
  • MAZIIIIIN GO!! PILEDER ON!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
That's what I meant and I think you REALLY need to format and install windows again, your registry is probably really fucked up after 4 years.

if you're a vegan you support baby killers