Topic: Russia invades Georgia over disputed South Ossetia region (Read 6734 times)

• PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
on the flipside i doubt the average person from georgia knows it shares a name with a u.s. state
who cares it's a state. name all of the provinces of Russia

and guys who cares if you think US STATE first, I'm talking about not knowing Georgia is a country at all. even so I wasn't attacking anybody here I'm just surprised that so many big GWers never heard of the place before. sorry if you feel embarrassed for not knowing I can't change that!!
  • I'm like Jesus, only in a non-religious way.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
war were declared
This is from something but I can't remember what!!

also, holy shit war. i'm going to laugh if we put ourselves into a nuclear ice age because that's exactly what every sci fi book is about and if it comes true well then that's irony at its best. (yeah eat if sci fi freaks you're actually reading non-fiction!)
  • I fear and I tremble
oh boy time to kick some red ass.  this is the shit i signed up for!

oh boy, time to get on a ship that pays ridiculously well to give you supplies so you can kick red ass this is what I signed up for!

this is terrible btw (I'm gonna be rich)
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • TV people want to leave
Just so you guys know, my high school geography class was 99% coloring with crayons, I shit you not.  Also we never talked about geography.

I think this is our problem.

Also I didn't hear about this country until this happened but I blame shit classes like mine.  And the fact that I had a 60 something year old woman ask me if Iran and Iraq were separate countries (AND WHAT ABOUT LEBANON? was her followup).  After we had been at war for quite some time.  I can't vouch for other parts of the US but there is no such thing as education in southeastern Kentucky, especially because my high school was the award winning one of the bunch.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Mario, Luigi, and their Gay Incestual Stories!
  • PipPip
This is really bad.  More wars make it more likely we could enter some kind of World War 3.  I mean, from what I recall, wasn't there basically economic issues/multiple conflicts and people basically kept fighting with each other in micro-wars until everyone started allying and shit?  I mean, Iraq isn't necessarily a conflict -- it really is a war -- and it's doubtful it'd end anytime soon.  With all of the sides and shit, I have no doubt that the US will involve itself, which will just add more crap to the list.  Hell, we just need North Korea and Iran to join into the mix and then we'll have a good ol' set of Axis and Allies and then we're going to all go to hell in another huge war.

And for the record, not all of us in the US are stupid.  My first question (when I heard this) was "Is it the state or the country...?"  (headline was "Russians Invade Georgia")  Of course, better thought might have been to say, "Must be the country, since they're on the same continent...," but I guess it was wishful thinking that we'd actually have some kind of conflict on our soil again to distract us from all the shit going on here lately (sick of me in a way, sorry).

--Terin
  • Fuck off!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Norway's coast has had a lot of Russian activity over the past few years, even blocking helicopter traffic between mainland and our oil rigs with fighter jets. I've been telling people on IRC about how fucked up Russia is and how they're constantly stepping on our toes and nobody seems to believe me.

Photographic evidence of them stepping on our toes with their navy:

This photograph is taken FROM one of our oil platform with ANOTHER of our oil platforms on the other side. Note that this is also a Russian carrier ship (see the combat jets at the back? Oh yeah, these jets also fly around our border, usually along the coast all the way into British airspace. They never warn us beforehand of their flights and has been a nuisance for years for our military leaders.)

A Russian combat helicopter on a skirmish just a few hundred meters from one of our oil platforms.

The Russians also tend to send ground troops near the border to make their presence known whenever the government of Norway stands to our claims of the North Pole area.

I'm pretty sure if Norway wasn't a part of NATO and/or had powerful allies we'd be invaded like that.

So yeah I don't want to overshadow them invading Georgia, but Norwegians are generally very concerned about our Russian neighbours and with good reason. Norway's just one of Russia's lucky neighbours that has powerful allies. Fuck Putin. He's a gangster, not a politician.

edit:
man I am browsing Norwegian discussion forums and they're basically saying "if only Georgia was a member of NATO..." or "somebody better teach those communist bastards a lesson!"
Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:01:31 pm by LADIESMAN 282
  • Warning: Harsh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
For those of you who may not know a lot about this situation, I'll repeat what I said on IRC:

The main cause of Russia's aggressiveness here is likely due to oil. This is not a conspiracy theory or something; the Caucasus region is Russia's only oil producing region and it also provides Russia's only access to the Mediterranean. Why is this important? The northern ports that provide Russia with access to the trading lanes of the sea freeze in the winter, many of them way too thick to get any size vessels into and icebreakers are largely ineffective. This means two options: land routes across Europe which are subject to border crossings; Russia is not a member of the EU. The other option is to ship goods all the way across Siberia to the ports on the Pacific Ocean or go through what would be hostile lands in the Caucasus.

When Communism fell in Russia, all semi-autonomous republics had a desire to break away and all those with enough military and organizational force did so and did not provoke the wrath of Russia, however the small nations of the Caucasus were not so lucky and were essentially coerced into being part of a new "federation" which would primarily benefit Russia itself. There have been military actions before, which you have probably heard about over this same issue: succession from the federation, which is a right of its members but they are not able to use that right due to their degree of control by Russia itself.

NATO stepping in here would be a very very politicized issue as allowing one nation to break off and preventing Russia from responding would lead to the very real possibility of all of the Caucasus republics breaking away as their oil and location would provide them with the economic means to exist separately from Russia. Russia, however, would lose major trading potential as well as its supply of oil, which it would have to then pay those republics for or import from elsewhere. Since Russia is already in a widespread economic depression, this would be very bad for them and they are likely willing to start a broader conflict with NATO to avoid this and due to the authoritarian nature of the Russian government (the president has the power to dissolve the body of elected representatives and rule by decree should the need arise) the democratic process will not stave this off if the higher ups, primarily composed of wealthy businessmen -- many of them owning oil fields in the contested regions -- decide that war is in their best interest.
Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:55:07 pm by Jeff
  • now das fresh
  • Group: Member
This is from something but I can't remember what!!

Futurama
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • THE FAT ONE
who cares it's a state. name all of the provinces of Russia

and guys who cares if you think US STATE first, I'm talking about not knowing Georgia is a country at all. even so I wasn't attacking anybody here I'm just surprised that so many big GWers never heard of the place before. sorry if you feel embarrassed for not knowing I can't change that!!

why are you surprised that people don't know that a tiny country in a clusterfuck of tiny countries existed?  the state of georgia is more than 2x the size and population of the country why should the average person in any part of the world care about a rink-a-dink republic that gained its independence in the 90s?

there are 10 year old kids being conscripted in china and forced racism leading to widespread violence in africa i could care less that georgia, population 4 million and one, is being taken over by ruskies.

This photograph is taken FROM one of our oil platform with ANOTHER of our oil platforms on the other side. Note that this is also a Russian carrier ship (see the combat jets at the back? Oh yeah, these jets also fly around our border, usually along the coast all the way into British airspace. They never warn us beforehand of their flights and has been a nuisance for years for our military leaders.)

that's pretty awesome.  west pack 2007 operation enduring whatever was the largest naval fleet in the history of the world but iran had these two dinky planes that flew back and forth and played games with out pilots.  one of their cruisers even chased the carrier i was on through the straight of hormuz.  russia's scarier than iran but these guys have some huge balls to openly fuck with hundreds of people with their fingers on the button.

oh boy, time to get on a ship that pays ridiculously well to give you supplies so you can kick red ass this is what I signed up for!

this is terrible btw (I'm gonna be rich)

i hate you merchant marines.  you guys get mad money hauling cargo and being old salts.

UGH 2 MORE YEARS AND I CAN FINALLY APPLY TO ART SCHOOL
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
who watches the watchmen
  • The Notorious M.O.G.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
who watches the watchmen

Am I the only one who thought of this immediately?

Anywho,

as Russia has openly stated it'll aim it's missiles at any US basees built in the area

I'm not too keen on Russia's situation as of late, but I ask this question to anyone who knows; is Russia really in a position to fuck with us right now? Seriously?
Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:51:21 am by Feldschlacht IV
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
If this was any other nation, I would not be worried but Russia? Fuck. This will probably escalate.

Fucking Russia... Who the hell is responsible for this? That Dmitry Medvedev guy?
  • PEW PEW PEW
why are you surprised that people don't know that a tiny country in a clusterfuck of tiny countries existed?  the state of georgia is more than 2x the size and population of the country why should the average person in any part of the world care about a rink-a-dink republic that gained its independence in the 90s?

there are 10 year old kids being conscripted in china and forced racism leading to widespread violence in africa i could care less that georgia, population 4 million and one, is being taken over by ruskies.
can you not type like the average trash blogger and throw around shit like "clusterfuck" for no reason, it makes me really want to ignore your post.

actually I don't have much to say that isn't an insult . apparently no one should care about any county smaller than a US state, regardless of its history, culture, etc. lmao do you even know where in africa? africa right, that place that look like a horse head. who gives a shit about Tibet, it only has 2.6 million people and it's not even a country!

edit: you could care less! jesus christ.
Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:59:19 am by earl chip
  • The Notorious M.O.G.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Wow, where do I begin? First off,

apparently no one should care about any county smaller than a US state,

Yeah, apparently no American has ever heard of the Vatican, Barbados, France, Italy, Greece, or the Congo! Great job!

. lmao do you even know where in africa? africa right, that place that look like a horse head. who gives a shit about Tibet, it only has 2.6 million people and it's not even a country!

Maybe because the name 'Tibet' is thrown around a lot more in a lot of different ways than Georgia? Hey, I guess I should call you uneducated if you've never heard of Burkina Faso or Seychelles!
Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 01:08:15 am by Feldschlacht IV
  • thx ds k?
I'm not too keen on Russia's situation as of late, but I ask this question to anyone who knows; is Russia really in a position to fuck with us right now? Seriously?

considering they have the second largest stockpile of nuclear weapons on the planet and ICBMs i'd have to go with a yeah
  • The Notorious M.O.G.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I guess I keep making the mistake that mutually assured destruction is a deterrent.
  • thx ds k?
considering what you just said why would you ask if they are in a position to "fuck with us?"

despite the fact that, like i said, they have a huge stockpile of nuclear weapons, they also have a gigantic standing army and are the largest nation on earth.

yes, the US has a much more modern air and naval force but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a huge threat!
  • The Notorious M.O.G.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
considering what you just said why would you ask if they are in a position to "fuck with us?"

despite the fact that, like i said, they have a huge stockpile of nuclear weapons, they also have a gigantic standing army and are the largest nation on earth.

yes, the US has a much more modern air and naval force but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a huge threat!

Yeah, this is my fault for not taking this into account. I guess I was basing my earlier assumption on the fact that Russia's economy is in the shitter, a lot of their weapons seem to be outdated, and their military's morale and organization is pretty bad.

Unless I'm wrong, and I fully expect to be corrected because I'm not claiming to be 100% certain on this.
  • I need to watch things die
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Feldschlacht IV enters the debate, everyone else thinks. Fuck. Feldschlacht IV has entered the debate.

It's only 5 minutes before things start getting bolded and tears are shed.

Where is Steel. We need Steel right now. Call in the Steel reinforcements.
  • PEW PEW PEW
Wow, where do I begin? First off,

Yeah, apparently no American has ever heard of the Vatican, Barbados, France, Italy, Greece, or the Congo! Great job!

Maybe because the name 'Tibet' is thrown around a lot more in a lot of different ways than Georgia? Hey, I guess I should call you uneducated if you've never heard of Burkina Faso or Seychelles!
are you fucking kidding me. do you not understand the difference between a country like BURKINA FASO and an ancient country like Georgia which has its own art, culture, language, architecture, etc. why are you even disagreeing dude, do you just want to GET ME that bad? I'm just gonna ignore your posts from here on out sorry!!