Topic: Brand new parts: No post! (Read 1367 times)

• Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Hello. Remember me? My last problem involved my computer not posting mysteriously.

So, after much trial I decided to get a new motherboard, a new processor, and new ram.

4 new gigs of ram. MSI 35 platinum, and 3gs of dual core CPU power.

Oh I was excited, all week I waited for my brother to come and put this in for me, because I'm far too stupid to do this sort of thing myself.

Unfortunately; my waiting ended with disappointment. We turn on the computer and... NO POST.

It's quite odd, but here's what happens.

Computer turns on... ... turns off.

Turns on again. and nothing.  

This board apparently doesnt use the beep diagnostic; it uses a color coded LED Thing. My brother THINKS it indicates the processor. After reseating it once, same issue.

So; while putting in the default fan device, he got pissed off and left; because he forgot to do one thing with something, or something along those lines. I don't really blame him.

Anyway, I come here once again severely... severely let down; and confused. All of these components are brand new, yet the computer won't even post.

I'm just so fed up, that I may just take it to a place for them to deal with.

• I need to watch things die
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Can we please have a list of every component from PSU to floppy, their age and status and POSSIBLY a picture of the inside of the case?
  • Dwarf Giant
  • PipPipPipPip
Since you renewed all the core components I'm thinking the problem is in the PSU (powersupply), wiring, or maybe even the case (something touching something it shouldn't). If you access to another power supply you should try it.
  • I disdain mrons.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Did you plug in all the power connectors to the motherboard? There's a 20/24 pin molex for the motherboard and an additional 4 pin molex for the CPU. Some video cards require an additional peripheral molex, so don't forget about that. Also make sure your RAM/PCI cards are seated properly. You shouldn't be able to see any of the contacts near the slot.

btw did you replace the PSU? It might just be a bum unit
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Did you plug in all the power connectors to the motherboard? There's a 20/24 pin molex for the motherboard and an additional 4 pin molex for the CPU. Some video cards require an additional peripheral molex, so don't forget about that. Also make sure your RAM/PCI cards are seated properly. You shouldn't be able to see any of the contacts near the slot.

btw did you replace the PSU? It might just be a bum unit

All of the pins were connected.

Well let's see.

Motherboard: New
Processor: New
Ram: New

Video Card: Semi new, a few months old
Sound card: Pretty old
PSU: Pretty old.

The PSU is the second oldest thing on the rig; so maybe that would be it... At any rate, I took it to the local shop. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY; they don't try to screw me over. I'd just like to close the book on this whole damn saga. Btw: The only other PSU I have access to is an old 450w that I hardly think is suitable for my machine at this point.

Incidentally: Should you guys not hear from me for a few months - it'll be because these guys DID try to screw me over; thus causing me to go into a berserker rage; attacking the technician with a rusted starhead screwdriver. I was told to wait a single day. Let's see what happens! Will the try to swindle me? Or perhaps theyll just destroy my expensive new parts??

Wee, what's next?
  • Warning: Harsh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well man, more than likely your new video card, motherboard, and processor are eating up much more power than your old ones did and either you do not have the connectors on the power supply to connect to the processor or it simply can't handle it. How many watts is your old power supply and more than how new your parts are, tell us about them...like...what are they?
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well man, more than likely your new video card, motherboard, and processor are eating up much more power than your old ones did and either you do not have the connectors on the power supply to connect to the processor or it simply can't handle it. How many watts is your old power supply and more than how new your parts are, tell us about them...like...what are they?

My power supply is 500w... I went to this applet website thing, inputed all my info and it told me I needed at least  "258w" power supply to run all the things I wanted.

Ok, story time.

So I went to the place today to check up on my computer. They tell me the motherboard's dead.

The guy opens it up; and shows me a burnt out pin on the board. He then tells me whoever installed it put it in the wrong way. He also said he tested everything else out; and they worked fine. He seemed like a nice guy; didnt pressure me to buy anything, he even gave me a garbage bag to shield my case from the rain. But I'm a jaded, paranoid shell of a man who isn't satisfied by word alone.

I'm scared now, for one thing: will newegg RMA this thing? Secondly, if the processor pin ON THE MOTHERBOARD is damaged, does that really mean the processor itself is fine (The processor I have doesnt have pins, the mobo does now)? I did turn the computer on for a quick moment and saw the fan not spinning (thus I immediatly turned it off); so that is probably the moment the thing got burned out. BUT even so, this error happened AFTER the initial failure to post.

Meaning - We put everything in : We turn it on. No post several times. We open up the computer; and inspect the pins to see no issue. we put it back together, turn it on; and find the fan isnt spinning - so turn it off after.

If everything is as this guy says, the board has to have been DoA from the start. BUT - Now I'm scared that the processor too got burnt out from that one moment; despite the guys reassurance that he "tested everything else".

At any rate, now begins the RMA battle, the sinking, depressing feeling of not having my computer working for the second week in a row is beginning to get to me; and yes - that is probably the most pathetic thing you've ever read.

I sure hope Newegg does cross shipping RMA. I sure hope I can get my damn computer back this week.

• Heavenly King
In all honesty, as Jeff has kindly said, it'd be nice if you could let us know exactly what you got/are getting for your system. Brand name, name of item, specs, everything. Some pieces of hardware just don't like working together, and some tend to have bad reviews from other users.

Putting together a complete list of parts for your system, especially before you buy them, and discussing it with someone (or a forum like here) knowledgable with computer hardware would save a lot on potential headaches.
  • Avatar of something bizarre and impractical
  • It's The Only Thing.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Wouldn't most newer mobos/cpus/whatever turn the computer off if it reached a critical temperature?
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Ive discussed, in great detail, the parts with my brother.

It couldnt hurt to post here as well.

Msi p35 platinum motherboard

4g patriot ddr2 ram.

Intel core 2 duo cpu (3g)

8800 gt gfx card

Philips acoustic edge sound card.

ultra d0906 500w psu.

Zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler.

Some dvd burner. cant recall the brand name...

Does that clear anything up?
Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:41:21 pm by NightBlade
I know it's pointless me badmouthing a brand, but in my time I have seen 2 MSI motherboards spontaneously combust. Me and jay were sitting at his PC once and all of the sudden random brown smoke came out the side exhaust fan and we were like SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT *ripping cords out of the wall* so that was his first write off. It happaned again to another PC of his with completely different parts.

I have also had an ASUS M2V that I sent back because it beeped at me non stop when I put my graphics card in. I sent it back and it was assessed as DOA so I think you might get away with RMA'ing it as DOA. If not what have you got to lose, the board is burnt so you know it's faulty and you're gonna have to buy a new one sometime.

There is another time when my PC didn't post and that's because the GFX card was loosely seated in the PCI-E slot.

I just bought a different make of board and it has secure connectors on everything, I think you might have to bite the bullet and do the same. Try and get your money back for the dead one, if you can't then you can't shit man.
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I know it's pointless me badmouthing a brand, but in my time I have seen 2 MSI motherboards spontaneously combust. Me and jay were sitting at his PC once and all of the sudden random brown smoke came out the side exhaust fan and we were like SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT *ripping cords out of the wall* so that was his first write off. It happaned again to another PC of his with completely different parts.

I have also had an ASUS M2V that I sent back because it beeped at me non stop when I put my graphics card in. I sent it back and it was assessed as DOA so I think you might get away with RMA'ing it as DOA. If not what have you got to lose, the board is burnt so you know it's faulty and you're gonna have to buy a new one sometime.

There is another time when my PC didn't post and that's because the GFX card was loosely seated in the PCI-E slot.

I just bought a different make of board and it has secure connectors on everything, I think you might have to bite the bullet and do the same. Try and get your money back for the dead one, if you can't then you can't shit man.

Well, thats what im doing.

The replacement comes tommorow.

I only hope my processor is still intact.
  • BAA2U
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
If your processor was dead, he would have told you so. They've got an incredible amount of diagnostic tools and spare parts to test systems with. I don't know why you don't trust them so much but if they say it's the motherboard it's probably the motherboard. RMA it immediately while you still can. If you REALLY think your proc is bad, RMA it too, but I'd trust their word that it's ok and just wait for the mobo to come back. If the damage really was from improper installation, I don't think that's a suitable reason to switch to a different model/brand. After all, it wasn't their fault.

BTW, where was this pin? The processor has the pins, the motherboard has the socket for those pins. I'm confused as to what a "processor pin on the motherboard" is?
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
If your processor was dead, he would have told you so. They've got an incredible amount of diagnostic tools and spare parts to test systems with. I don't know why you don't trust them so much but if they say it's the motherboard it's probably the motherboard. RMA it immediately while you still can. If you REALLY think your proc is bad, RMA it too, but I'd trust their word that it's ok and just wait for the mobo to come back. If the damage really was from improper installation, I don't think that's a suitable reason to switch to a different model/brand. After all, it wasn't their fault.

BTW, where was this pin? The processor has the pins, the motherboard has the socket for those pins. I'm confused as to what a "processor pin on the motherboard" is?

Im on the wii atm, so i cant link.

The core2duo series has pinless cpus. instead, there is a series of gold flat connectors on the bottom of the cpu.

The mobo itself has the pins.

My distrust stems from general horror stories i hear of this sort of thing.

As for msi, my last 4 mobos from them have died far too early: I dont even overclock. Now I get one doa?

Ill say this. If my computer gets up and running by thursday, I will shave my head bald.
Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:59:43 pm by NightBlade
  • BAA2U
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Im on the wii atm, so i cant link.

The core2duo series has pinless cpus. instead, there is a series of gold flat connectors on the bottom of the cpu.

The mobo itself has the pins.

My distrust stems from general horror stories i hear of this sort of thing.

As for msi, my last 4 mobos from them have died far too early: I dont even overclock. Now I get one doa?

Ill say this. If my computer gets up and running by thursday, I will shave my head bald.

If you don't get it running by thursday, you won't have to shave your head because you'll tear it all out yourself.

Also, it's not DOA if it was destroyed by improper installation.
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
If you don't get it running by thursday, you won't have to shave your head because you'll tear it all out yourself.

Also, it's not DOA if it was destroyed by improper installation.

Yeah, thats the thing: it didnt work even when everything was installed right.
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
To those bored, or curious, or both; apparently the motherboard I was shipped at first was infact, DOA. The new one works just fine, my brother tells me. Post beeps, goes into Bios and all. (He tested it several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke)

All that's left is to install windows and hope the tower doesn't explode on the car ride home, or something...
Fantastic, glad it worked out for you man.
  • BAA2U
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
To those bored, or curious, or both; apparently the motherboard I was shipped at first was infact, DOA. The new one works just fine, my brother tells me. Post beeps, goes into Bios and all. (He tested it several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke)

All that's left is to install windows and hope the tower doesn't explode on the car ride home, or something...

How did you find out it was DOA? Didn't the computer repair shop say it was a burnt out pin from improper installation?
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Fantastic, glad it worked out for you man.

Thanks, right now Im cautiously optimistic until tommorow when Im playing TF2 with my new(ish) machine. Hopefully it won't have any problems where it really matters.

How did you find out it was DOA? Didn't the computer repair shop say it was a burnt out pin from improper installation?

Upon closer inspection, nothing was actually burnt out. One of the pins was dislocated after it returned from the shop. Something the shop guys may or may not have been responsible for. My brother was fairly certain in his assumption that it's not his fault; as he's confident that he can do something as simple as put in a cpu properly.

The first motherboard provided no post beeps, and my backlit keyboard didn't even light up like it normally does (even if I should plug it into something it doesnt really work with, like the Nintendo Wii). What cements it is the fact that the computer is now.