Topic: Google Launches Internet Browser (OUT NOW!) (Read 2189 times)

• Will you walk the realms of Chaos with me?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
idk.

I know people giving this up completely already cause no click wheel scroll. Like what the hell! Fastest & most secure (because of the sandboxing and how its built), plus has the non-linearity through tabs being their own proceeses, browser and I know people giving it up because heaven forbid I can't click wheel scroll I might have to scroll my wheel / page up/down / etc. o_O

Like I don't get it!

-marginally faster than Opera... if at all
-speed dial ripoff isn't customizable in the slightest (from what I can see)
-closing the last tab closes the browser. I REALLY HATE THIS, I just want to see the speed dial while -bat the same time - removing the tab I'm viewing, like in Opera on Windows.
-no middle click scroll. ugh.
-can't middle click to create tabs. ugh.
-no "duplicate tab" feature.
-no "paste and go".

-is nearly twice as fast on my PC as Opera. Is more than twice as fast with more tabs open. (quad core)
-Isn't a speed dial in the first place. It's a place to quickly access common viewed places, search on commonly searched sites, and see your recent bookmarks. That's it.
-That's because each tab is a process, and if there's no tabs running, there's no process.
-see above stuff above quote.
-Yes you can.
-Yes you can.
-i don't even know what this is. what is it?

EDIT:
Also incognito has a guy in the upper left, but I think the skin is darker on non-Vista.
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:04:16 am by HL
  • Avatar of something bizarre and impractical
  • It's The Only Thing.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Pretty much sucks so far:

-marginally faster than Opera... if at all
-speed dial ripoff isn't customizable in the slightest (from what I can see)
-closing the last tab closes the browser. I REALLY HATE THIS, I just want to see the speed dial while - at the same time - removing the tab I'm viewing, like in Opera on Windows.
-no middle click scroll. ugh.
-can't middle click to create tabs. ugh.
-no "duplicate tab" feature.
-no "paste and go".
-I must be the biggest motherfucking Opera fanboy on the planet.

I don't understand the difference between the interface in incognito mode and normal mode. They look identical to me on Vista.

I find it faster than Firefox at least, I haven't used Opera that much so I can't say. Why would you want to keep the browser open with no tabs? Just change the one you have open? The no middle scroll is really a piss-off, they'll probably fix this due to popular demand no doubt. You can't middle click the create tabs? I can! Also if you just right click the tab there is a duplicate tab option.
  • Wind of Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I can't middle click to create tabs :<

In Opera, when you close every last tab you are always left with your speed dial. Sometimes I just want to close everything and go to my speed dial page. I keep middle clicking the far tab on the left and all my tabs will close, and I'll be left with my speed dial.

Also I now see the duplicate tab feature but it isn't the same as Opera as it opens a new window. I can't really knock Chrome for this because the feature IS THERE it's just inferior in my eyes. You can't even duplicate a tab when you only have one open. Wha... what gives?

Paste and go rocks. It's a pain when I use other browsers and it isn't there.

ALSO WHAT it doesn't remember what sites you were on when you closed the browser? That's a pretty big deal-breaker for me.

That said, I was specifically looking for things that I didn't like about this browser. I love the approach and I can't wait to see where this goes. Seriously, this browser is going to kick ass once some plugins and updates come out. I love the simplistic smooth interface... I love how your tabs are all separate independent tasks... searching your history is cool and Opera also doesn't have built in spell check which is a feature I envy in Firefox.

EDIT: I've edited this post a fuck-ton of times
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:19:25 am by Mama Luigi
  • Avatar of something bizarre and impractical
  • It's The Only Thing.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

In Opera, when you close every last tab you are always left with your speed dial. Sometimes I just want to close everything and go to my speed dial page. I keep middle clicking the far tab on the left and all my tabs will close, and I'll be left with my speed dial.

Also I now see the duplicate tab feature but it isn't the same as Opera as it opens a new window. I can't really knock Chrome for this because the feature IS THERE it's just inferior in my eyes.

You can drag the duplicate window back to the other tabs. Tedious, I know, it should be the other way around and there doesn't appear to be a shortcut.

Also I now see the duplicate tab feature but it isn't the same as Opera as it opens a new window. I can't really knock Chrome for this because the feature IS THERE it's just inferior in my eyes.

a) If you haven't already, restart your computer after installation. If you haven't restarted since you installed, you should. It makes it run infinitely better and seems to make some stuff that is glitchy unglitch. I have no idea why you can't middle click to create tabs otherwise.

b) Yes but this is a pretty minor nitpick considering this form of tabs is (afaik) completely new and technically no process exists the instant you remove the last tab, so it doesn't have time to make a new one (I guess), and it's just a minor thing. If you don't want it to close, take the time to Ctrl+T.

c) Drag the tab in the new window to your other window.

d) I had to search to find out what this was. It takes like a whole extra second to paste something (and highlight it) and hit enter or right click and hit Search.

Like idk, it just seems like a majority of your complaints are that it isn't Opera 100% and they all seem like minor functionality quirks that are really nothing but habits you've gotten used to and are for some reason expecting to just be there on a day 1 beta release.  I'm sure the plugin community will add a lot of this stuff, and so will Google. Did you complain when you got Opera on how it wasn't Internet Explorer or whatever previous browser you used for X years (just wondering!)? I mean, all of this stuff is really MINOR (in fact, half of it is just a couple seconds or less of browsing time that will get covered by plugins easily once everyone realizes that this isn't even a full 24 hours yet, so of course none of this shit is out.) when you realize all the benefits the actual browser HAS over the other ones. It isn't a clone of Opera's features or FireFox's features, and I doubt they personally want a complex Options menu since once of the key points is simplicity and minimalism. Give the plugin community time to work, they haven't even had a whole day yet!

I mean obviously that's up to you, but realistically it's impossible for this thing to mimic 100% Opera's and FireFox's features on Day 1 just to appease everyone's minor quirks, still remain fairly bug free, still do good on the Acid3, still be simple, still be minimalistic, and still come out yesterday. Sometimes you get a bicycle that goes faster but the peddles are placed in a completely different position from what you're used to. You just have to take the time to get used to where the peddles are now.
  • Wind of Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
a) If you haven't already, restart your computer after installation. If you haven't restarted since you installed, you should. It makes it run infinitely better and seems to make some stuff that is glitchy unglitch. I have no idea why you can't middle click to create tabs otherwise.

b) Yes but this is a pretty minor nitpick considering this form of tabs is (afaik) completely new and technically no process exists the instant you remove the last tab, so it doesn't have time to make a new one (I guess), and it's just a minor thing. If you don't want it to close, take the time to Ctrl+T.

c) Drag the tab in the new window to your other window.

d) I had to search to find out what this was. It takes like a whole extra second to paste something (and highlight it) and hit enter or right click and hit Search.
a) yeah this fixed the middle click issue.

b) waste of time, I'll stick with what works. I've already closed the browser over 4 times on accident this way. It's a huge habit of mine to close a tab when I'm done viewing the content. If I have nothing else open, the browser closes on me. I don't like that, and until I can change that I really can't use this browser.

c) waste of time.

d) waste of time.

Combined with the other things I pointed out, as of right now: Chrome is a waste of time to me. Until it can adapt to a way which will make me more efficient, I'll stick with what works.

Also in case you were wondering I used Firefox before Opera.
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:31:47 am by Mama Luigi
  • I'm a hairy, slutty and drunk Mexican!
  • PipPipPipPip
So I was watching YouTube, and it crashed.

I think we should all just face the truth. It sucks. Sucks hard. :(
"I think EVERYONE here on GW has to have cranked one out over Pulits or Trujin before. How's it feel, guys?" - Christophomicus <--Feels great, btw.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
well I like it: quick, free, and easy on the eyes.
  • Ò_Ó
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
ALSO WHAT it doesn't remember what sites you were on when you closed the browser? That's a pretty big deal-breaker for me.
you can make it do this in the basics tab of options

I'm using this as my main browser for a few days just to see if it grows on me and one feature I REALLY dig is how when you type in the start of a url it only gives you the relevant part.

like typing gami brings up gamingw.net/forums not http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?action=post;msg=1381657;topic=74691.120;sesc=88297806b0df36cd78cc4ec340772e00

everything after the .net is greyed out to
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:49:44 am by Mark
  • Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member

youtube only crashes for me when i exit full screen mode. then i just right click somewhere in the task bar (the windows one) and it fixes.
  • rap singing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I like to keep my browsing somewhat simple except when it comes to plugins which I tend to go pretty nuts with. A barebones interface is fine with me though.

It looks pretty good and seems speedy. That's about all I can say right now. I'll have a play with it but I won't switch until the plugins get started and some good ones are made and even then I might need some convincing (simply because I find Firefox and Opera pretty awesome already so I'm not sure if I'd ever need to switch).

Also Google making this is basically the most expected thing ever.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It isn't bad overall, I'll probably use chrome for forum purposes because it runs and scrolls a lot faster, I had no problem importing my bookmarks either (they even appeared in the same order across my tool bar), and yeah...
I like it but I won't use it permanently yet.

K nitpicking a bit more...

With the bookmarks toolbar, I have folders with links in them however I have to manually click each folder to bring the list up as opposed to just rolling over them in firefox (gets annoying because I'm not used to it), also it doesn't have bookmark separators so my lists look all weird because they aren't grouped and divided.
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:18:28 pm by Carius
  • GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
With the bookmarks toolbar, I have folders with links in them however I have to manually click each folder to bring the list up as opposed to just rolling over them in firefox (gets annoying because I'm not used to it), also it doesn't have bookmark separators so my lists look all weird because they aren't grouped and divided.
I don't have to click each folder to bring up the bookmarks within it. It takes maybe a second longer to bring them up than FF, but rolling over works.

One nitpick I'll add is that I don't like how there's no stop button. I've found certain pages seem to keep loading even though they look fully loaded to me. There's no way to stop them at the moment as far as I can tell (unless there's so shortcut?)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Probably something that fixes on restart then?
I'll do that in a sec...

Also I like how chrome has been designed to use the address bar as a google search bar also, results load just about instantly unlike other browsers that have to go through the whole realise it isn't a URL, redirect to selected search engine, display results process.
  • lauren's givin head
  • PipPipPip
its not letting me use it since i dont have windows service pack 2. rip chrome.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Tab widths are too small, every single topic in this forum says "Gaming World Forums - Go..." or "Gaming World Forums - Po.."

Don't make me go into feedback and request that we rename the title to GW Forums or GWF >=(

EDIT: Mateui, restarting didn't fix my bookmark problem :( I still can't rollover them, I must CLICK agh!
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:14:01 pm by Carius
  • Do you know Shinigami like apples? ^______^
  • PipPip
STILL STUCK ON INITIALISING what is going on
  • Socom 2 master...
:( EULA - you full entitle Google to give any info you put into this web browser to companies and etc..

not sure im gonna use it anymore after this

It hasn't crashed on me in YouTube once. o_O Sides, if it crashes it only crashes your tab, not the rest of them. = win.

One nitpick I'll add is that I don't like how there's no stop button. I've found certain pages seem to keep loading even though they look fully loaded to me. There's no way to stop them at the moment as far as I can tell (unless there's so shortcut?)

The usual escape shortcut (what it is in FireFox & Opera), does in fact work.

Also I like how chrome has been designed to use the address bar as a google search bar also, results load just about instantly unlike other browsers that have to go through the whole realise it isn't a URL, redirect to selected search engine, display results process.

It can be setup as other popular search engines too!

its not letting me use it since i dont have windows service pack 2. rip chrome.

i have absolutely no clue why you don't have SP3. 2&3 are way way way better than 1.

Tab widths are too small, every single topic in this forum says "Gaming World Forums - Go..." or "Gaming World Forums - Po.."

Don't make me go into feedback and request that we rename the title to GW Forums or GWF >=(

EDIT: Mateui, restarting didn't fix my bookmark problem :( I still can't rollover them, I must CLICK agh!

You can hover over the tabs or something.

Also, Mateui is confused. Folders in the bookmarks bar do require you to click. However, I use the bookmarks drop down, in which folders work like normal. (on roll over)

STILL STUCK ON INITIALISING what is going on

Try restarting your PC?

[quote​ EULA - you full entitle Google to give any info you put into this web browser to companies and etc..

not sure im gonna use it anymore after this
[/quote]

It specifically says its only used to keep certain services going (they collect info for usage stats of their services etc). There's an option to disable Google from collecting your info. In the options menu.

If you took a minute or so to read their privacy policy, it says:
You do not need to provide any personally identifying information in order to download and use Google Chrome. When you download Google Chrome or use it to contact Google’s servers, Google receives only standard log information including your machine’s IP address and one or more cookies. You can configure Google Chrome to not send cookies to Google or other sites as explained here.

In addition, some Google Chrome features send limited additional information to Google:

* When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for. If you choose to share usage statistics with Google and you accept a suggested query or URL, Google Chrome will send that information to Google as well. You can disable this feature as explained here. 
    * If you navigate to a URL that does not exist, Google Chrome may send the URL to Google so we can help you find the URL you were looking for. You can disable this feature as explained here.
    * Google Chrome's SafeBrowsing feature periodically contacts Google's servers to download the most recent list of known phishing and malware sites. In addition, when you visit a site that we think could be a phishing or malware site, your browser will send Google a hashed, partial copy of the site's URL so that we can send more information about the risky URL. Google cannot determine the real URL you are visiting from this information. More information about how this works is here.
    * Your copy of Google Chrome includes one or more unique application numbers. These numbers and information about your installation of the browser (e.g., version number, language) will be sent to Google when you first install and use it and when Google Chrome automatically checks for updates.  If you choose to send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, the browser will send us this information along with a unique application number as well.  Crash reports can contain information from files, applications and services that were running at the time of a malfunction.   We use crash reports to diagnose and try to fix any problems with the browser.
    * You may choose Google as your search engine using Google Chrome, and you may also use Google Chrome to access other Google services such as Gmail.  The Privacy Policies of Gmail or other services apply when you access them, no matter which browser you use.  Using Google Chrome to connect to Google services will not cause Google to receive any special or additional personally identifying information about you.

In fact, there is nothing in the TOS of the program about sending PRIVATE INFORMATION to companies. I just checked.
Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:12:36 pm by HL
  • Do you know Shinigami like apples? ^______^
  • PipPip
Try restarting your PC?
Actually it leads to a problem concerning my internet connection settings/firewall. I have no either how to fix it even though I've set the firewall to allow Googleupdate.exe and I'm pretty sure I'm not using a proxy server.