Poll: Which game for the NOV-DEC contest was the best?

The Super Astronomical [And Robotic] Space Fish
7 15.6%
Terraformer
2 4.4%
Gravity
14 31.1%
Dot Plus
14 31.1%
Terra Nova: Eyes Of The Machine
8 17.8%

43 Total Votes

Poll Nov-Dec contest Poll. (Read 7199 times)

• Pip
  • Group: Member
I'd tend to disagree with the two weeks isn't enough to make a game... For instance, Hello Panda was made in two weeks like the rest of them, and it's very polished, even without considering the timeframe. If you look at Terra Nova, it was 1.5 weeks making the systems and then the rest making the levels which were never played. A shorter period means more emphasis on gameplay than bulking up on stuff most people never see.
WombatRPGs
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Well... Nackster's contest was by his own initiative, and I actually like it just the way it is. I'm just not a big fan of the voting system. But I like the theme thing, the two months-thing, and I definitely like the money prize thing... which is why I'm really excited about the next contest (which means I'll have to abandon may main project for two months).

I think they money thing might have scared away some people, because they thought the entries would be too good to compete.

People are lazy by nature. A contest that does not involve a serious prize wouldn't be taken as seriously... especially if it is periodical. And two weeks isn't enough to make a decent game... and I don't see the point of making contests to stimulate non-decent games.

I agree with this...
There's this G&D competition we had before though with Esh that one was fun but seeing how dead silent the forums can be now I wonder if it's going to be successful like it was before  :welp:
  • Avatar of something bizarre and impractical
  • It's The Only Thing.
I agree with this...
There's this G&D competition we had before though with Esh that one was fun but seeing how dead silent the forums can be now I wonder if it's going to be successful like it was before  :welp:
Well maybe it's something to think more about when we have newer members coming in.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
@Calunio & Anaryu
  Well I guess it's just me. I won't take the vote from those who submit the entries into account. (Maybe I watched too much TV Champion lol) but if you insisted then I'm fine with that too  :fogetsmile:

As for the 2-week contest...it's possible to create a good game. But considering most people here use rpgmaker and tend to make story heavy game, it might take longer than 2 weeks to get a decent game. What if it isn't a game but just a prototype to show or present the idea? Then the game wouldn't have to be that polished/completed but just completed enough to show the idea. Developers can then decide later whether they want to continue their ideas further and finish a full game or not.

The prize can be the right to decide what's the next theme will be. This way no money involve and we might get a very interesting theme too.  :fogetbackflip:
Like our games? Want to support? You can support us by making a donation.

My Projects
Click on the userbar to enter the game thread.

• Genre
    : Shooting-RPG    Status : Completed

• Genre : Bullet Hell Shooting    Status : Completed
[/center]

My Blog http://hima.gptouch.com/
  • SPECIAL EFFECTS
  • PipPipPipPip
People are lazy by nature. A contest that does not involve a serious prize wouldn't be taken as seriously... especially if it is periodical. And two weeks isn't enough to make a decent game... and I don't see the point of making contests to stimulate non-decent games.

I do not think people are lazy by nature and I do not think 2 weeks is too short of time. In fact, 2 weeks is more than plenty.

Considering how things started off I wonder where everyone would have ended up if Muse had remained in the polls.

Well, I know that we had at least 17 votes which none of the other games reached. :(
Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:39:09 am by Chipotle
  • 1 of 9 - Adjunct SSJAJTJB6J9
If you can think of a prize that doesn't involve money, I am up for creating a competition.

6 years ago we had a contest that didn't involve money.  The contest was site-wide and it involved all aspects of game making: contests for custom graphics, chipsets, music, backgrounds, easy programming and intermediate programming were given out.  It was for bragging rights I believe.  Even then there was controversy because the intermediate programming winner submitted the game late, but was allowed to submit even way after the deadline.  The game submitted was composed of minigames that were already made for a huge game before the contest was announced.

Anyway, we had some sort of badges in our profile that moderators would give out to users for any contribution the user did for GW that deserved those badges.  I got 2 pictures: Link and some other character for it.   I'm not even sure of the mods gave them out or if we got them for reviewing a game or something.
  • Avatar of something bizarre and impractical
  • It's The Only Thing.
6 years ago we had a contest that didn't involve money.  The contest was site-wide and it involved all aspects of game making: contests for custom graphics, chipsets, music, backgrounds, easy programming and intermediate programming were given out.  It was for bragging rights I believe.  Even then there was controversy because the intermediate programming winner submitted the game late, but was allowed to submit even way after the deadline.  The game submitted was composed of minigames that were already made for a huge game before the contest was announced.

Anyway, we had some sort of badges in our profile that moderators would give out to users for any contribution the user did for GW that deserved those badges.  I got 2 pictures: Link and some other character for it.   I'm not even sure of the mods gave them out or if we got them for reviewing a game or something.

I don't think we should throw something like e-trophies out the window, either! Little pictures that could be thrown in sigs or whatever would definitely be interesting.
  • 1 of 9 - Adjunct SSJAJTJB6J9
I don't think we should throw something like e-trophies out the window, either! Little pictures that could be thrown in sigs or whatever would definitely be interesting.

Exactly.  I mean, look at Xbox Live Achievements and PS3 Trophies.  I'm not to familiar with Achievements and their value, but just knowing you accomplished something in any game and showing it to your peers is serious business.  Even an NFL player's account was deleted (I think) for fixing Halo 3 games to climb the rankings.
  • Pip
I don't think that the "just bragging rights" contest would go very far now unless it was *big.* However, with GW6 alive it might be possible to do something like a feature on the winner or something of that nature. I like the idea of trying to have another humongous competition, but the problem lies in securing entries. Maybe a combination between the scale of monetary prize offered here, feature, other e-rewards, and it could work. Another issue might be hype, as far as that goes. I know Sarevok's was posted all over the place, and so it naturally received more entries. Maybe we reach out to other game-making communities, not just the general RM stuff but also GameMaker or Java/C++ places as well. Obviously, the cash would attract a bunch of people, but then again, GW gets more members in the process.
WombatRPGs
  • Super Saiyan Sam
  • PipPipPip
Has something gone wrong with the world? Are people actually complaining about money prizes? E-badges may be cool and all, but I prefer money. I could do a lot with a $100 credit on my paypal.
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Has something gone wrong with the world? Are people actually complaining about money prizes? E-badges may be cool and all, but I prefer money. I could do a lot with a $100 credit on my paypal.
We are just saying maybe there is another alternative other than money, sure you could use the money who couldn't, but when money comes into things poeple can get greedy.
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• Super Saiyan Sam
  • PipPipPip
We are just saying maybe there is another alternative other than money, sure you could use the money who couldn't, but when money comes into things poeple can get greedy.

I guess we would only need alternatives if Nackster doesn't want to pay winners anymore.
And maybe greedy = better games? Just maybe.
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I guess we would only need alternatives if Nackster doesn't want to pay winners anymore.
And maybe greedy = better games? Just maybe.
Obviously it does, but would you rather have people arguing and complaining about this? game example: Muse.

Since it's a draw between Gravity and DotPlus what now?
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
What my point was that I don't have enough money to give out in competitions, but I would love to create one. Having a competition without money would mean there are more, better competitions around. If someone wants to donate money for the prize to increase attention, even better!
www.jmickle.com
  • Pip
Your audience is limited without cash, obviously, but things in addition are always helpful.

Anyway, I don't think the tie is an issue. The first and second place prizes can just be averaged, and both Hima and Anaryu get that amount.
WombatRPGs
  • Pip
I don't think people are complaining about muse because of the money.
  • Oy yeah baby!
  • PipPipPipPip
Ugh....

A: Because there is a tie for first, First and second prize will be pooled and divided equally between dot plus and gravity.

1st Place: Dot Plus
1st Place(2): Gravity
3rd Place: Terra Nova
Underdog: Muse

ALL CONTESTANTS NEED TO PM ME WITH THEIR PREFERENCE FOR EITHER PAYPAL OR AMAZON E-GIFT CERTIFICATE! (if you live in Russia or southwest Asia you will not be able to accept my money transfer as I use a United States paypal acct [meaning ][/meaning])

Now the bitchfest begins...

I first started these contests with the hopes that I could spur a little creativity and competition in an otherwise stagnant forum. Face it, every day you see the same shit posted by the same godamn people. I did this for FUN! And for fucks sake im giving you FREE money if you win! Yet somehow there are STILL those who can complain about FREE money. Do you have ANY idea how retarded it makes you look when you do that? Hell knows im not perfect and maybe ive made a few errors in my process with these contests (voting, Muse, etc) but that's because this was never supposed to be anything serious. I LOVE these forums, and this site! They have been with me since I was about 13-14 (im now 20, soon turning 21!) I will always support it no matter how much the userbase dwindles. But IF you continue to make these FUN activities into a bitch fest and or a flame war I will no longer host them. I know there are a few of you out there who understand and appreciate what I am doing. And particularly all contest entrie personell, I thank you for helping keep this thing going!

Now in PARTICULAR refference to MUSE: I may have made a harsh judgement call on your game disqualifying it. HOWEVER at the time of submission the game was turned into me with no info, no screens, and a sketchy download page. Starting next contest this will be a rule that disqualifies members, lack of sufficient info turned in BY THE END OF THE CONTEST, will result in no inclusion in the prize winnings. I am sorry that you were removed from the voting. I DID however award you my underdog prize as I feel you have earned it. Please if you enter next time, be more prepared with your information.

Thats all Folks
-Nackster
Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:49:03 am by the_nackster
$280 USD Donated GamingW

F*CKING Awsome Games that I support!

• So-Called Manga Artist
But you still accept updates after the deadline...?
Like psywombat's game
  • Super Saiyan Sam
  • PipPipPip
Well, I am one of the people who appreciate what you do, and I think that, despite all the bitching (which wasn't THAT excessive), the contest was a success... basically because it inspired great games, like Gravity and DotPLUS, which were indeed my favorite. Congratulations to all contestants.

I hope you're not demotivated yet, because I'm excited about the next one and curious about the theme.
  • So-Called Manga Artist
I appreciate it too but
how come he can't accept muse's info after psywombat update his game demo?
Technically they are like ...the same right?

also reliable source about them cheating...??????????????????????????