Music Songsmith (Read 2800 times)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
So I've heard of this new Microsoft Program, Songsmith.

I have mixed feeling about it, as I have not tried it, and I have decided that it is to music what wii is to videogames, and will either destroy music as we know it, or help it is some incomprehensibly innovative way.

Here's a video of the bitch in action

Pretty much the deal is, you sign to a drumbeat, and the program reads the notes and sets chord progressions to them, a la casiotone. You can change the tone with minors and blah blah blah. Basically, it's a songwriter's dream, because anytime you have a melody in your head, this thing will do the work for you. I'm not sure if it only operates in bars or something, or if maybe you can add in key changes and stuff.

What I am afraid of though, is that this is going to bridge the gap between the people too lazy to learn, and the talented musicians that actually deserve recognition. I do believe that today's mainstream musicians are not as talented as they were in the past, and I think this will take that to a new level. Imagine Britney Spears 2012 that doesn't even know a scale!

On the other hand, this is a fun program for people with time to waste, and probably a pretty big opportunity for comedians, and a gateway for people who are having trouble writing music.

There is a 6 hour free demo out there, but you'll have to find it yourself!
  • Insane teacher
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Haha of course you'd think it was anything other than a piece of shit.
brian chemicals
  • Captalist pig :|
  • PipPipPipPipPip
complete garbage. Not only does it sound like shit, but everyone who uses this will have music that sounds exactly the same as all the other users
  • TV people want to leave
What I am afraid of though, is that this is going to bridge the gap between the people too lazy to learn, and the talented musicians who already have other people writing their songs but still get credit.

The gap is already bridged, man.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Insane teacher
i saw u post....phiz...
brian chemicals
  • Fuckin' A.
bridge dat gap

seriously this is dreadful I am gonna stick to actually writing songs.
  • Power to the flowers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
aahahahahahahahaha

i saw the actual commercial on youtube a couple of days ago and went through real songs put through songsmith nonstop. comedy gold.

here is the commercial:

• I did ok on this one but his feet are kinda wierd!
  • PipPipPipPip
That's like one of those fun toys I played with when I was a kid.
Oh, and I had that expensive electric keyboard that never got me anywhere.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to branch out when their current money maker is making people pissy.
  • DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
holy shhhhhhhit now i wanna see a songsmith commercial with psyburn
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • Power to the flowers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
the oasis one is the best. metallica was pretty good too
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Nah the thing itself is pretty low quality, but the technology will almost surely be used again, upgraded. I can see full guitars and instruments in maybe a year or two.

Like I said though I haven't tried it either so I'm not about to say it's shit without at least playing with it.

complete garbage. Not only does it sound like shit, but everyone who uses this will have music that sounds exactly the same as all the other users
Have you ever listened to the radio?
  • Hardcore.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Heh, you're right.  Generic hate towards popular music DOES justify this monstrosity.
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Souljaboy and Songsmith ~ a match made in heaven.

also

I can see this marvellous software working well with autotune to create a bright new future for musical expression.
  • Fuck off!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
What I am afraid of though, is that this is going to bridge the gap between the people too lazy to learn, and the talented musicians that actually deserve recognition. I do believe that today's mainstream musicians are not as talented as they were in the past, and I think this will take that to a new level. Imagine Britney Spears 2012 that doesn't even know a scale!
all irony aside, pop music isn't even close to this shitty. the net actually already has a lot of midi-sounding music with voices over it, and those are generally much better than this "music".

have you ever listened to the radio?

Hahahaha, it can't even get the IDEA of this song.  Gr8 job songsmith.

there already is a calm quiet version of eye of the tiger anyway

edit: Somehow I Heard It Through the Grapevine came out sounding more like Eye of the Tiger
Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:39:08 pm by Velfarre
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
ffffffff it is worth a double post to say that the songsmith version of the ymca is officially the most beautiful song of our generation
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Damn Right I'm a peasant.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I really like that version of eye of the tiger (except the end of the chorus, which is bloody awful).

I'd love a go with this some day. Buggered if i'm paying for it though.
  • Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
there's a six hour free trial and it's not really fun to play with. i tried to take one of those songs fatty sang a while back and put them through it but it didn't turn out.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Forgive me for apparently not explaining myself well enough. I don't think Songsmith is something to be taken seriously, but rather the idea itself. When they upgrade it from the shitty casiotone sound and add in filters and beats specifications, and people can make ACTUAL MUSIC, then yea.

Otherwise this is just a fun little wiiware or something, I don't know why there is such hate.

PS. Biggles that is pretty awesome because I was thinking of Soulja boy when I made this topic.
  • MURRY CRITSMATS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Wow this is... really gay..

R.I.P Steel