Fight [DEVLOG] Magus Magus : Fighting/Shmup Hybrid (Read 1858 times)

• Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member

© GPTouch

GAME INFO

Magus Magus is a multiplayer fighting video game with shooting video game
elements.
The game focuses more on long-range attack rather than a close combat like other
fighting games. The play controls are also greatly simplified in comparison to other
fighting games. The game area resembles an arena shooting game, which allow
player to roam around the area freely in all 8 directions.
The game also feature bullet hell elements from bullet hell/curtain fire shooting
games. This ranges from a barrage attack to a special move that turn a character
into a shooting game boss, with the player be able to control the attack pattern.
The game can be played with as many as 4 players at a time, make it suitable for a
light party game. However, the game mechanic is also designed to be deep
enough for hardcore gamers to enjoy.

SETTING

In the future, a super smart dust called 'Magia Dust' was invented. The devices
have an ability to control the natural world within their range, which resembles
something people in the past used to call ‘magic’.
Over the time the art of fighting with Magia, a magic created from Magia Dust,
becomes the world’s most popular sport called “Magus Battle”.
The story starts with a rumor of a secret Magus Battle Tournament with a prize
being ‘one wish will be granted’ has been spread around the world. After all the
elimination rounds, only 8 Magus were able to go on to the next round, which will
be held on an island, far far away. The real tournament has just begun.

CHARACTERS

GAMEPLAY VIDEO

GAME SYSTEM EXPLANATION
:: DOWNLOAD MANUAL HERE ::

[/center]

Finally I can post this here regardless of having less than 7 screenshots, Yayh! :D
Like our games? Want to support? You can support us by making a donation.

My Projects
Click on the userbar to enter the game thread.

• Genre
    : Shooting-RPG    Status : Completed

• Genre : Bullet Hell Shooting    Status : Completed
[/center]

My Blog http://hima.gptouch.com/
  • Here's what I think about anything you have to say!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Yeah man this is pretty damn good indie stuff right here!

I don't really understand what's going on but I wouldn't mind trying this out. Aside from the gameplay itself everything else looks really polished. That's something I've come to expect from you which is great. I think this game is pretty unique too since it's a long range fighting game (Fighter SHMUP).

I think the story is like a collage of elements from so many generic anime series. That's cool though so don't sweat it. The whole fighter genre isn't really big on story no matter how many different character endings there are. By the way is there an arcade mode where we see different character ending? Is this going to follow the general fighter setup? Arcade, VS, etc? I think this game would be cool if it had online cababilites as well.

Anyways this is pretty good, keep up the good stuff.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967946252/rainfall-the-sojourn
  • >you
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I don't like shmups and I never tried your other games because of it, but there is something in this game that makes me wants to play it.
  • It's that guy that nobody likes!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Hell I don't like shumps either! But I'm going to fucking play this until I puke AND DIE!!! this shitz looks amazing! Don't stop Hima don't stop! I look forward to playing this! And it sucks that you can't play as that boss character...looks like I'll have to be somebody else. X_x

Happy 1st Anniversary - MONOPOLO!
Released April 2nd, 2009 - Right Here, On GW!

• Blue Valkyrie needs food badly!
  • PipPip
What is Shumps?

This looks like a well-made game! The only thing that kind of bothers me is all the projectiles/particle effects all over the place. At times, I have a hard time figuring out what's going on. I also fear that so many projectiles on the screen like that might do a number on a low-end video card or processor.
What? You dare defy her whims? She is the Game Master!
You are her pawn! She controls your fate!

• Sunflower of the Jollyflower Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Would the characters have their own battle theme songs [if ][/if]?

Plus I love the particles going out, and the ghosts were a bit cute. So far I've seen Yin Yang Yao, and Mana (I dunno the other two).

I'm now imagining Utako having her cutesy battle theme or two.

EDIT:
If there'll be Magus Magus 2 (Magus Magus Mania!), I wish one or two of them can launch a giant missile that releases smaller but longer stream of projectiles sideways. Kinda like a ramming overkill if that would happen.
Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:14:57 am by Pipcaptor Hatsuya

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga
  • Oy yeah baby!
  • PipPipPipPip
What exactly is going on in that video?
$280 USD Donated GamingW

F*CKING Awsome Games that I support!

4 different players are shooting at each other, and sometimes one zooms to the center to use a special attack (not sure on mechanics for that yet.)

Also, it is looking even more awesome than I imagined. Are you using 3D for some of those attack effects now? The BG really gives it a 3D feel!
Completed Projects:

In Progress:
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
Thank you everyone. Sorry that  the video quality makes it kinda hard to figure out what's going on @_@

@The Ghost
Yup, the general fighting game modes will be there. I don't know about the online one yet though....I still don't have time to learn network programming :/  There's this 39.dll for game maker which make it much easier to do the online part or so they claim. I'll look into that and see if I can do something about it. No online mode for now though :(

@Xathia Vastar
Shmup stand for shoot'em up or basically shooting games :)​  I agree that it's hard to see what's going on but when you play it you won't realize that though. At least that's what happen to Piti when he playtest the game haha.  The number of bullets are still another thing that we need to balance. I think right now the bullets are too many for level 1 special move.

@Hatsuya
I WISH! But having an original track for each character would cost me a lot, I think :/ 

@konix
Yeah I agree. I'll lower the volume down and find more s.e. These are all just for placeholders anyway so they're subject to change.

@the_nackster
Anaryu pretty much summed everything up for you already XD  It's like Super Smash Bro., except that the game relies on shooting in a bullet hell manner.

@Anaryu
I'm glad you said that! Actually, I didn't use 3D effects at all. I edited the BG beforehand to make it looks like that. As for the particle, it's just an illusion from rescaling the image that makes it looks 3D :)​ 

My Projects

• Genre

[/center]

• Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It would help the soothe the chaos if each player had a colored label over them. (Ex, blue 1p logo over one guy, red 2p logo over the other, etc)
  • tom cruise
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
This looks awesome, but it also looks like it would lag my pc to hell. I hope you find a way to optimise it.

• Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
@NightBlade
You're right. We've tried doing something new and put a magic circle with each player color, but it seems like it doesn't work well.  Guess I have to stick with the text and arrow like super smash bros. X(

@hobomasterxxx
What is your spec? I'm pretty sure if you can run Hello Panda, you'll have no problem playing this game.  After all, I think the number of bullets never goes up to 1,000. ( It doesn't even reach 500- 600 , I think)

My Projects

• Genre

[/center]

• tom cruise
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Well my specs are pretty crappy, i might try hello panda and see how it works. heres my specs-
1.4 Ghz Pentium M
512 mb ram
32mb mobility Radeon 9000

• Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
Thanks! I'll see if I can find a computer with similar spec as yours around here :)

My Projects

• Genre

[/center]

• Beginner
What you should do, is have your Normal mode where there are fewer and the normal set projectiles, but include a Nightmare mode that works like the one in your game and the number of projectiles is vastly increased...just to add the fun.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
@Ratt
I don't think that would be a good idea though. Some attack relies on the number of bullets and having difficulty tie into the number of bullets mean having a two standard set of difficulty ( bullets and AI ) It'd also require the player to memorize each character different at each bullet number difficulty, which to me, I think it's too much work.

It looks like there are no way you can dodge them at first, but the game provide you many defensive action that make it's possible to survive all the curtain fire :)
Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:55:53 pm by hima

My Projects

• Genre

[/center]

• I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
This looks brilliant, but will there be a single player mode? Similar to Super Smash Bros single player perhaps? None of my friends are really into computer games really, xD so I could only really play this on my own
www.jmickle.com
  • (a.k.a. Orophin)
  • PipPipPip
Looks cool. I'm make an attempt to try it out when I get some free time.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip

I've decided to remake the game completely and turn it into somewhat 2.5d  ( 3d bg with 2d sprite )

The character sprites will be pre-rendered 3d , so that it's easier to animate XD

My Projects

• Genre

[/center]

• So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Whoa,  is it made in your original engine hima?