Tv wh tv show you watch (Read 2852 times)

• Power to the flowers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
parks and recreation is so much better than community, you should watch that instead
  • Gameboy Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
the biggest problem with community season 3 is no john oliver.  wth guys
  • I fear and I tremble
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I just saw community for the first time by accident. It was the D&D one.

man that shit was so funny. I reminded me of steel's novelty forum roleplay games
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I think some of the reasons Community has such a fervent fanbase are due to it's more unfortunate qualities, like being so obsessed with media trivia that it's got two whole characters who are 80% trivia, and doing creepy things like that episode where Allison Brie sang in a baby voice about wanting Jeff to be her daddy (who she is in love with on the show), and the intention that this was to be a sexy and cool thing (they constantly do this with the character of Annie, who is a Sexy Schoolgirl)

There are other shows which, although they've also got some problems with their comedy ethics!!!! are still so distinctive that I totally understand why people go nuts over them, like Arrested Development and stuff like that. I don't really see this in Community where the comedy seems to be a mix of, in order; average sitcom jokes, stuff that's meant to be funny because you recognize it, and meme-style non sequiturs like you used to see on Scrubs* (Pop-pop! Starburns!) (Actually, this kind of stuff doesn't usually bother me, I like nonsense, but amidst the derivative writing and gross nerd shit that dominates the rest of the show, them throwing in these kind of easy laughs doesn't work for me)

I guess another part of the appeal, which isn't necessarily a comedic aspect, but attracts nerds, is the high-concept episodes they tend to do. I don't have any problem with that at all in theory, but it feels like it's just something they do which doesn't necessarily heighten the quality of the episodes beyond on a nerd level - although on the nerd level, there is also the fact that most of these high-concepts are riiiiifffffs on common genres/tropes (they did a zombie apocalypse episode, and a paintball episode that just riiiiiiifffffed the shit outta everything. So god damned aware of other things people did, these guys are.). It's a very easy thing to do, and creates a pretty convincing illusion that the show is wacky and crazy, but it's often done for no other reason than to do it and doesn't actually provide any space for jokes or storylines they couldn't have done anyway. So maybe nobody gives a crap about that, and doesn't need to think about how their comedy shows are structured that much, but if you do, the gist is that Community does superficially exciting things that don't really go anywhere and might not surprise or excite you all that much after all.

I've seen all of it, because I'm just one of those motherfuckers who finds huge amount of TV really easy to watch and when I find a show I can stand, or find interesting in one or another way (not necessarily liking it or anything), I tend to blow through most of it in a few days. Community is a show I am always on the verge of turning off and I have in irritation then gone back to at a moment of boredom while sitting in the office at work or something. It takes a lot for me to drop a show because I'm one of those god damned people, but if you aren't then there are better comedy shows out there to watch. Not many, but Community is something I think is actively gross and I'm a little pissed off at myself for having watched so much of it. Maybe I will drop it after all. Britta is pretty funny in season 3 though.

*Community is comparable to Scrubs in a whole bunch of ways, but I'd say Community is less objectionable than Scrubs because Scrubs was flat out bogus especially on gender and using lazy comedy stereotypes. Also it stars that fucker Zach Braff, who I think in my head has murdering-parties with Jack Black, Vince Vaughn and a bunch of other fuckers. He's literally a serial killer of women, in my brain.
  • I fear and I tremble
I dunno dude I think you're hitting on the "FUCKING NERD HUMOR" aspect of things too hard. Yeah when they harp on it like a one trick pony its pretty shitty (somebody talked about that nerd show on the WB with the hot chick...yeah) but I think if its done with some class and restraint its pretty cool.

You gotta think alot of the people writing this shit are probably nerds so that comes more naturally to them, kind of making fun of themselves. In the community episode I watched some asian guy painted himself as a dark elf or some shit and then the old guy kind of mutter/called him "blackface" which is kind of funny with the character and the way he said it. It was almost so subtle I barely caught it. I guess being an internet person that would tend to make you cringe but the internet is now a prominent and overbearing part of popular culture. You gotta kind of keep that in mind and take it with a grain of salt.

I honestly prefer the kind of more realistic approach to humor like shamless, early weeds, and arrested development. Kind of shit that would make someone that saw themselves as morally inclined cringe I guess? I find it hilarious. Even race/gender/sexuality humor if its done tastefully.

I don't really like the monty pithon slap-stick style stuff. Or what I've seen of it. I really like intricatelly clever puns and crude dark humor.

Zach galifinakis does the style I'm talking about pretty well. His stand-up though not really his movie stuff though I did like the first hangover. After that he just kept recycling the same character.
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I think one of the reasons the stuff I'm saying is for nerds bothers me is how self-obsessed it is, making jokes about itself all the time. Like you said, it can be done with some restraint and insight, and not be so bad and even be funny, but I don't think you'll find that in Community. They're in their own Pillow Fort la la Land. You know how some animals sniff+eat their own dung?
  • The Badass Cometh
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with what's gone wrong with Community. I started watching Community from the beginning, and I didn't really warm to at first.  But after the first season I basically fell in love with the characters and the kind of humour they were putting in with the generic sitcom stuff. Season 1 is also much more balanced in terms of the generic sitcom and the meta/nerdy material. Season 2 basically just went all out in terms of the latter, but I think it worked fantastically well. Season 3's having trouble keeping a sensible balance.

There are three sitcoms that I hold in extremely high esteem as sitcoms - Seinfeld, That '70s Show, and Arrested Development. Seinfeld was basically a sitcom without the generic sitcom elements such as a romantic subplot and wwww moments, and from what I understand that was the intention. That '70s Show for me is the perfect generic sitcom; the jokes are amusing, the characters are fun, and the awww moments work. It's does the balancing act well, and I think the premise/setting of the show helps things a lot. Arrested Development is that once in a blue moon type of show that sets a new standard and is completely left field or subsersive (fuck I hate that word), etc., etc..

For me Community sits somewhere between Arrested Development and That '70s Show in terms of what it is. It's never quite the generic sitcom, but it never quite reaches the height of what Arrested Development is. There's also something really artificial about Community and that's where I think the Scrubs comparison is most apt. For me Scrubs was so constructed, so fake (probably less so in the beginning) that it was like looking at those creepy Japanese robots and blow-up dolls and having that godawful uncanny valley feeling. The difference between Community and Scrubs though (although who knows how long this will last), is that Community revels at being artificial and even draws attention to itself in this way, while Scrubs was just yeah... that thing I said before.
  • PEW PEW PEW
I pretty much agree with what's been said about community, but I like it because I'm a sucker for even vaguely interesting characters (abed is really boring tho and they kinda ruined annie) and it's really the only sitcom that has attempted to do anything since arrested dev. I need something to veg out to that people my age actually watch
Also it stars that fucker Zach Braff, who I think in my head has murdering-parties with Jack Black, Vince Vaughn and a bunch of other fuckers. He's literally a serial killer of women, in my brain.
did you see that punkd where he almost abducts a couple children for his murder cellar just bc they spray painted his expensive car

edit: I think seth rogen is the ringleader of the women murdering society
  • Scanner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
My brother has been watching "The League" and I have to say its been pretty hilarious the bits that I've seen.
  • I fear and I tremble
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Gold_Rush_Title.jpg

DAKOTA FRED YOU CLAIM STEALING BASTARD!!!

ps: I never figured out why that crazy old fucker is carrying a shotgun in that pic

Between this a bering sea gold. I could do that shit, its alot of stuff I'm familiar with/do already.

Like theres one part on bering sea gold where a winch's cable guide (or something like it) is breaking off and the dumbass kid that worked on the barge started spot welding it (halfassing it and not completely welding it) and I predicted that shit was gonna snap and fuck him up....it did within a few seconds.

I didn't know this though:
The Christine Rose used a crew of 4 for season 1 (Steve Pomrenke crew). As the largest vessel, the crew needs to earn $1.5 million to make a profit.

thats alot of money

then its no wonder the rest of those boats are raggedy as fuck and can barely stay afloat. Some parts get you pissed though. Like, FUCKING FRED and there was this shitty rich old lady whom I guess owned or hired out one of the proffessional businesses that dredge for gold (she's not on the show and they're all entreprenuers) buying pretty much every single claim spot being sold in northern alaska after 12 years of the gov't not giving the property out. She bought 85% of them in total ignorance apperantly not knowing exactly what was good and what wasn't. Just whatever because she's a piece of shit and she can.

thats america pretty much
  • Scanner
I watched the finale of House.

Fantastic. I'm sad, but understanding that the show has to end. I'd say I'm interested in what the actors/writers/directors do next. Only problem with the actors though is that I wont be capable of not thinking of them as characters from house when I see them in movies. Hell, not that long ago I was watching "The Next 3 Days" and saw the actor for 13 in it and I kept feeling sad because of her characters illness, even though her character doesn't have that illness in said movie. I couldn't detach her from her 'House M.D.' character.

Like, I know that if I ever decide to go back and watch that live-action 101 dalmatians movie I wont be able to look at the 'bumbling criminal' character in it (Jasper) and not expect some sort of witty comment because Hugh Laurie played him.
  • FISSION MAILED
  • PipPip
watching barn notiss right now on the interneflix don't believe ondores lies I"M the real michael westin pew pew

frasier is better than all the sitcoms named above btw
it has some rough spots but it ran for like 10yrs ok

also, fuck "new girl" now my bangs are in style and it makes me v upset if someones uses the ""q-word"" again i'll
I used to be a computer god 15years ago. Since then i'm just a working dad.

~my gameslog~
  • KABOOM!!
  • PipPipPipPip
Game of thrones, still need to watch the last episode of season 2! making my way through the last season of stargate SG1 and season 3 of stargate atlantis, Just started watching the walking dead which is honestly pretty awesome.

Also been watching a few episodes of the IT crowd which is rather entertaining.
?_? •????
  • Fuckin' A.
also, fuck "new girl" now my bangs are in style and it makes me v upset if someones uses the ""q-word"" again i'll
the only q-word for you is qt
  • FISSION MAILED
  • PipPip
Game of thrones, still need to watch the last episode of season 2!

im in the same position and im really not sure why im still watching. possibly because of some dark cocktail of masochism and intense self-hatred

the only q-word for you is qt

*blush* wait is that even a word
I used to be a computer god 15years ago. Since then i'm just a working dad.

~my gameslog~
  • Scanner
Game of thrones, still need to watch the last episode of season 2! making my way through the last season of stargate SG1 and season 3 of stargate atlantis, Just started watching the walking dead which is honestly pretty awesome.
last ep of season 2 is good but not as good as the 2nd to last
  • KABOOM!!
  • PipPipPipPip
im in the same position and im really not sure why im still watching. possibly because of some dark cocktail of masochism and intense self-hatred

Because it is awesome, that is why!

last ep of season 2 is good but not as good as the 2nd to last

Really? I heard that the last episode was great, my boyfriend didn't even realise it was the final episode and was all 'shit yeah can't wait for next week!' only to be shattered by the news that he would have to wait a year to see it.. booo.
?_? •????
  • Lichens!
just starting watching falling skies. I'm on the third episode currently (pilot was 2 episodes) and i'm not sure what I think of it yet, will watch a few more and post
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Spent this week watching Lost. I know it got some bad reviews for the later seasons as well as the ending but I enjoyed it all. Watching it all in one go helped me notice a number of things I missed when I use to watch it week by week.
http://steamsignature.com][/url]
  • Scanner
Really? I heard that the last episode was great, my boyfriend didn't even realise it was the final episode and was all 'shit yeah can't wait for next week!' only to be shattered by the news that he would have to wait a year to see it.. booo.
No, its still really good. I just thought the one before it was better is all.