Health Prototype (Read 3700 times)

• Avatar of `~congresman Ron paul~~
  • Legio Morbidius
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
does this really look interesting to people? like i'm not even being a snide dick or anything, what is the appeal of this? i really want to know. why do you want to play this?

honestly the appeal to me is :

1) gameplay style kind of like crackdown but with more structure
2) I liked GTAIV and this looks like a similar open-ended world (before headphonics or somebody starts hounding me about MEANINGLESS CHOICES?? i think it is fundamentally different when that's a key aspect of the gameplay)
3) it just looks like fun. i don't know.

seriously though i don't get why this is in any way mystifying that this looks like fun to people who like video games?? it looks like a game that will have decent fast-paced gameplay mixed in with a kind of fun GTA aspect. it also has online and single-player coop so i can play it with my roommates. i also like the idea of playing as a rampaging unstoppable horror movie monster in the same kind of way i liked playing Rampage when that first came out.

why do you want to play shining force II? i genuinely don't get that either; it's a shitty old rpg that you're micromanaging character stats with forum nerds online in. do these things really need explaining to you chef or do you just like being ironically condescending?

'boy this is incomprehensible to me why anyone would like this...WELP back to watchin' youtubes of a dog poopin or a functionally retarded kid being tricked into hating homosexuals who use axe'

-cues konix coming in to compare it to anime-
Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:52:16 pm by stern_gupples

That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.
  • Legio Morbidius
now you all think i am going into some kind of GOON RAGE or w/e but i really don't care about this game that much!! i am pissy because i made a post about an upcoming game i found mildly interesting (and other than TROPICO 3 i can't think of any other games coming up which i care at ALL about) and you dumbshits are going to try to spin it into heh..this is so bad i cant even understand it, go watch an anime basement nerd.

it's also possible i am completely off the mark and this game does actually look really bad. i genuinely don't get that UGH HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK THIS IS GOOD vibe from the game though other than the terrible site so uh?? okay. if it turns out to be awful i retroactively submit to chef's infinite wisdom
Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:56:56 pm by stern_gupples

That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This thread was the first time I'd heard about it. It's fun to run around and break stuff for a while. It is probably something I'd rent, like I did with Crackdown, instead of buy. As fun as it is to bound around a city wreaking complete havoc, it does get old after a while. The graphics look decent for the number of onscreen elements, and, especially in the 10 reasons video, it looks like there is some slick gameplay there. So yes, this looks like something I would enjoy.

I will now attempt to predict at least one possible response...

begin-

man this gameplay slick like make shield fists absorb bazooka soldier guy and all be BOOM sucker cause IM  VIOLENT and raised improper but throw tanks how can you not like THROW TANKS!???????????????????? letz talk how this gaem change the world gogogogogoooooooooo

-end

EDIT - Although the first time I saw the video of the character transforming his arm into the whip/whatever... I thought "Gee, Tetsuo is having a bad day again."
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
this game kinda looks appealing, but not something i'd buy at full price, that's for sure.

on a semi-related note, chef's feelings about this reflect my opinion of Tool, however music people hated me for it
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
whoa! chill out treg! i think the fact that i said i wasn't being condescending sort of shows that i really want to know why people want to play this. i don't know, it's pretty clear i wasn't being hostile at all. there's no need for personal attacks! but yeah, this seems very similar to a lot of things that have come out recently and i don't understand what makes this stand apart! to me this looks like an amalgam of a bunch of games that were mostly uninteresting and have already been done before. uh, assassin's creed and gta and crisis. i guess that would make an interesting game, but really this looks very similar to just about everything else that is out there.

also it's kind of interesting that you mentioned rampage because i was thinking this game would be so much better if it were like rampage a little earlier in that you are a giant monster running around destroying buildings and stuff instead of some goofy guy getting powers. i really think a modern rampage game would be pretty cool and i think the mechanics of this game (switching abilities and super powers and all of that) would be suited towards rampage.

i like playing shining force 2 for a bunch of reasons though. it's got neat gameplay. it's a lot like chess. you're required to think a lot more about what you're going to do and consider things before you do them much more than in regular rpgs. i like the graphics, music, character designs, and i like the story. your goal is to save the princess, but it's much more about the adventure and crazy places you go than actually rescuing the princess. i don't know where you got the idea that there is statistical micromanaging though. there are like 5 statistic and they go up on their own. you don't really have a say in how they go up! it's also one of the first games i remember really liking. it's sort of nostalgic for me and jamie to play (maybe the other guys too).
Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:55:29 pm by dogchode69
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • Legio Morbidius
whoa! chill out treg! i think the fact that i said i wasn't being condescending sort of shows that i really want to know why people want to play this. i don't know, it's pretty clear i wasn't being hostile at all. this seems very similar to a lot of things that have come out recently and i don't understand what makes this stand apart! to me this looks like an amalgam of a bunch of games that were mostly uninteresting and have already been done before. uh, assassin's creed and gta and crisis. i guess that would make an interesting game, but really this looks very similar to just about everything else that is out there.

this is true i guess but as long as it's done well i do not particularly care whether it is similar. it is funny you brought up gta/assassin's creed/crysis and i think those 3 are the only games released in the past year/two years or so i have actually been able to finish without losing interest (i couldn't even finish dead space and that is one of the games in this year i thought was really good!). i guess i am hoping that this game will kind of mix the parts from those games i liked but be a little more interesting because you are a rampaging monster dude. i get how you could think this is really similar to those ones but honestly i feel like there is slightly more putting it apart than you are giving it credit for. i feel like this game looks a little bit like GTA mixed with God of War which is an interesting concept to me!

besides i don't get why it being a little generic is that much of an issue because it is seriously not like i play 20 different games in exactly this style (and there have been! who really gave a fuck about mirror's edge or saint's row?). i buy a third person xbox action game once every two or three months! so if it is good i really don't care if it is slightly generic because i am not OVERDOING it.

also it's kind of interesting that you mentioned rampage because i was thinking this game would be so much better if it were like rampage a little earlier in that you are a giant monster running around destroying buildings and stuff instead of some goofy guy getting powers. i really think a modern rampage game would be pretty cool and i think the mechanics of this game (switching abilities and super powers and all of that) would be suited towards rampage.

you're 100% right here actually. GOOFY DUDE IN HOODIE is not very compelling and i hate his voiceovers in the gameplay vid, so i kind of wish you were a horrific monster instead who could take the form of humans as a way of disguise to get around. that is actually a much more interesting idea and i think it would be more fun to play instead of GENERIC PROTAGONIST etc.

now that you mention it i really hope that this guy isn't a horribly written emo badass like in that horrible The Darkness game. jesus christ i had to sell that after an hour and a half of playing.

i like playing shining force 2 for a bunch of reasons though. it's got neat gameplay. it's a lot like chess. you're required to think a lot more about what you're going to do and consider things before you do them much more than in regular rpgs. i like the graphics, music, character designs, and i like the story. your goal is to save the princess, but it's much more about the adventure and crazy places you go than actually rescuing the princess. i don't know where you got the idea that there is statistical micromanaging though. there are like 5 statistic and they go up on their own. you don't really have a say in how they go up! it's also one of the first games i remember really liking. it's sort of nostalgic for me and jamie to play (maybe the other guys too).

okay, fair enough. i was skimming that thread earlier and i kept on seeing posts like 'trying to get all my characters to level up now' etc. and i just dislike most rpgs at this point so much that i couldn't even begin to care about that. I think I just saw jrpg+trying to reach levels and assumed you guys were microing etc/whatever it is. the point is though that your original post seemed like you were saying 'weeeelll i am not trying to be a dick but this just seems so terrible i can't even comprehend why you could be interested int his at all!!! please explain why your taste sucks!!' and i could have just as easily made a knee-jerk statement like that in your thread.

• Legio Morbidius
begin-

man this gameplay slick like make shield fists absorb bazooka soldier guy and all be BOOM sucker cause IM  VIOLENT and raised improper but throw tanks how can you not like THROW TANKS!???????????????????? letz talk how this gaem change the world gogogogogoooooooooo

-end

EDIT - Although the first time I saw the video of the character transforming his arm into the whip/whatever... I thought "Gee, Tetsuo is having a bad day again."

this is the worst post i have ever seen!

• "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
this is the worst post i have ever seen!

I will now attempt to predict at least one possible response...

It was intentional, I was channeling.
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • Insane teacher
i wanted to like it but then everyone said it looked awful so uh i just kind of said THATS A PITY and why ya flipped out i dont know.

also i think all games are terrible so my post is probably not the one you are referring to.

ir eally did want to like itt hough i wasn't kidding when i said crackdown was the most fun i've had on a game in a while (if i did not say it here it is, i really am a big babby who loves that shit)

now to read chef's post!

uh, assassin's creed and gta and crisis.

i actually obviously thought of crackdown but all those games had REALLY GOOD PARTS so uh that is probably why if it reminded you of that people are like hey maybe...
brian chemicals
  • Lichens!
aaaugh maybe i'm just obnoxious but i saw the loading screen to the website and I already started to cringe.  but the game itself seems like it might actually be okay just a terrible website to promote it
  • FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i was really looking forward to this when i heard about it. it seems like just something that would be really FUN to play, you know?? just going around and smashing things and causing mayhem. kinda like in the same vein as Rampage for the Genesis, but obviously uh.. well, not similar at all, just the same basic feeling.

i still kind of am looking forward to it, but no games are good nowadays, so not so much. i also won't have access to a good gaming pc when its finally released so :<<
  • Artist, novelist, gamer, and friend.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I remember seeing this last year. Looks intense! Basically they developed this with the engine they used to make the Incredible Hulk video game, and turned he Hulk into a skinny-cool-baddass Venom clone. Looks really fun, gotta say.
  • Contender
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
InFamous looks a shit load more polished and just overall.. Better(Too bad I only have a 360). But this game seems to be more like, what's the word I'm looking for.. Dumb fun. Case & point Crackdown as you guys have mentioned.

• sea of vodka
  • Group: Member
Never step between a TREG and His Games.
  • sea of vodka
  • Group: Member
also

before headphonics or somebody starts hounding me about MEANINGLESS CHOICES?? i think it is fundamentally different when that's a key aspect of the gameplay)
i dont know why youd think this.  this superficial shitty mechanic??  yep it gets better somehow when it's all the game has to offer.  actually i dont even give a shit but

i too struggle to understand people like you.  BLOWING UP STUFF IN GAMES man.  there's really no way to avoid sounding like a dick when you bring it up because it's like YES, I TOO AM A 12-YEAR-OLD STUCK I AN ADULT'S BODY.  i just grew out of things like this because it's all essentially the same bland experience and if you like it fine but it's difficult to GET IT for me and probably others
  • Insane teacher
PEOPLE LIKE YOU now you're being mean haha.

but I actually had my fingers crossed you were okay with games like this because I will admit I still get some visceral pleasure out of seeing shit blow up...by my hand...

I recognize of course it comes from a PROFOUNDLY immature place but come on ole jeff/brian/whatever...dont you wanna see 9/11 again...

like you really did grow out of it? how about uh FPS games in general because I still get a substantial amount of my enjoyment from getting HEH that sweet shot and seeing someone fall the fuck over. if enemies heads didn't blow up in gears of war I will admit I don't think I'd like it as much!

edit: or are we talking abotu the illusion of false choices because what does that have to with GROWING out of it so much as thinking about it and realizing it?
brian chemicals
  • Legio Morbidius
i dont know why youd think this.  this superficial shitty mechanic??  yep it gets better somehow when it's all the game has to offer.  actually i dont even give a shit but

??? how is this not understandable to you? i don't understand why you are so convinced that the idea of moving around in a city in a game is somehow inherently a dumb superficial thing. would GTA have worked if it was a linear game set in linear levels? not really. i don't think this game would either. it's a gameplay model that works on a more fun and deeper level for this type of game when it is done well. i probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all in connection with you okay fine but you were just going to bring it up anyhow.

for the record i think you are trying to link this again to some kind of dumb I CAN AFFECT THE PLOT... thing which is once again not what i am talking about much at all but whatever, i don't really want to talk about this with you.

i too struggle to understand people like you.  BLOWING UP STUFF IN GAMES man.  there's really no way to avoid sounding like a dick when you bring it up because it's like YES, I TOO AM A 12-YEAR-OLD STUCK I AN ADULT'S BODY.  i just grew out of things like this because it's all essentially the same bland experience and if you like it fine but it's difficult to GET IT for me and probably others

also god forbid someone occasionally enjoys killing things in a video game for a couple hours. i don't get this because it's not like probably AT LEAST HALF of the people i know own an xbox and enjoy OCCASIONALLY PLAYING A GAME ON IT. even steel enjoyed crackdown which if anything was a far DUMBER game than this because you literally went around capping russian gang members in tanks in fucking new york. do you genuinely not get this?? it is not an anomaly or some sign that i am an IMMATURE MANCHILD to be occasionally interested in a video game! it is not like i sit around all day thinking 'boy i really can't wait for prototype! but while i wait i can play 10 hours of another game!'

man i do not understand why this thread made me such a bitch.

• Legio Morbidius
i too struggle to understand people like you.  BLOWING UP STUFF IN GAMES man.  there's really no way to avoid sounding like a dick when you bring it up because it's like YES, I TOO AM A 12-YEAR-OLD STUCK I AN ADULT'S BODY.  i just grew out of things like this because it's all essentially the same bland experience and if you like it fine but it's difficult to GET IT for me and probably others

p.s. you sound almost pretty precisely like konix ranting about anime in this post.

• Legio Morbidius
treg self-reality-check time though : i watched an interview with the developers on youtube because it was the first result on youtube for 'prototype game' and it is clear they are really dumb and the short trailers are probably not going to be indicative of the final product. these guys were rone rivendale-level stupid. they were trying to apply 'these enemies wear gas masks' as some kind of major thematic thing about the INTRINSIC INHUMANITY OF MAN. i don't think they are very intelligent.

so yes you do have a point. you're still a dick though.

• Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
it's not the moving around the city that's superficial, it's the special abilities thing. do it with claws... or a giant arm... or whips... it's all a little trite. i mean that's kind of why i don't understand this game. it's apparently crackdown (i have never played crackdown so i compared it to a bunch of games that i know a little about) except you are fighting monsters and you can change your arms. i've never really liked games like this though, so i guess it was inappropriate of me to ask what the appeal is, since i obviously wouldn't get it anyway.

but i don't think you need to be a huge dick about it. it's a game.
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden