Topic: $17,500 for an NES game.. This guy is insane. (Read 3236 times)

• junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
people collect rocks

what if they hear of somebody selling a volcanic rock from like greece for like 15,000$ because it's ultra rare, and looking at it, it just BARELY looks different

it's just as ridiculous as video games, and people have been doing this forever

collecting jewelry and art however has the added extra that it is very pretty

i guess you can play your collection of videogames???
  • Abominationist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
What!?! That cartridge cleaner thingy was actually valuable!!! I had one a long time ago but I broke it a long time ago and trashed it. My god, i'm filled with so much regret right now. Velfarre you better not be shitting me about that.

This isn't that absurd, I find anything involving a celebrity being suddenly valuable absurd and also very creepy in a way.

EDIT: About art collecting, most of it is done by scouting amateurs' works and paying a miniscule amount for a decent painting.
Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:51:48 pm by Boulvae
A tool is a tool regardless. I mean if you suck, you suck, and not even the most perfect tool could save you. And if your damn good then even with the worst tool ever conceived you could chug out some high quality shit.
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
this is bullshit. this motherfucker's going down.
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • Anti-Social Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
murder him and his game.s he does nto deserve to live.....
  • TV people want to leave
What!?! That cartridge cleaner thingy was actually valuable!!! I had one a long time ago but I broke it a long time ago and trashed it. My god, i'm filled with so much regret right now. Velfarre you better not be shitting me about that.

I don't think it was the regular cartridge cleaner, but it was something similar.  Don't worry bro!
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Worthless Protoplasm
I get the whole thing with that this guy is a collector and yes that games could and are something that people collect and would be desirable to do so.  I am not trying to see either that things have to have a practical purpose to be collected either.   I do think though for something to become a collectors item in the first place it has to be something that was originally desirable, and I don't see how this was originally desirable in the first place considering that well who wants a dumb ol' demo?

that's what I meant about something owned by a celebrity, if it was something like ELVIS'S Q-TIP not that it's any less stupid but I think a lot more people would want it just because a lot more people know who Elvis is. Who's even heard of this contest/cartridge?

Like wouldn't the value of the Elvis thing come from there being a lot of people who want to buy it, and it's one of a kind? How many people are vying for this cartridge, not that it couldn't become worth a lot too but I would think it'd be a lot less
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• professional disappointment
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i remember back in 1997 a prototype english cartridge of mother for nes surfaced and sold, but that didn't go for near as much as this did. the guy who bought the cart paid about $125 and rom hackers paid $400 for the opportunity to backup the data. i have difficulty imagining how any nes game could possibly go for more than what mother is worth, although i could realistically see someone paying in the 10k range for the prototype mother cart.
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
even moreso with the dedication the starmen.net people have

if it was worth 10k, no doubt they'd have raised funds and actually reached their goal
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yeah i wonder if mother 3(n64) is ever going to leak in some form or another.
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i don't think there is a prototype disc of it, i don't think anything was ever really completed in it, for it to be shown

either way, only the minimal people who own n64dd's could try it

the thing with the english mother prototype is that it was verily the complete english game, although never released whatsoever
  • 100% not arab
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i remember back in 1997 a prototype english cartridge of mother for nes surfaced and sold, but that didn't go for near as much as this did. the guy who bought the cart paid about $125 and rom hackers paid $400 for the opportunity to backup the data. i have difficulty imagining how any nes game could possibly go for more than what mother is worth, although i could realistically see someone paying in the 10k range for the prototype mother cart.

That's actually an interesting website, I always liked reading the stories behind unreleased things and these are pretty detailed.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
  • aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache
a cartridge specially produced for use in a Nintendo-sponsored gaming contest

there you go it was pretty important???

also if this bugs you wait until you hear about STAMP COLLECTING and million dollar misprints
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
  • PipPip
Some things have a lot of value just for being rare and I understand, but 17k+ is quite a lot for a crappy NES cart.
Hi. I'm Kayos.
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
 Chrono Trigger in the original package goes for over 1k, so does Earthbound. I can't really understand Chrono Trigger, as it's not exactly rare, but Earthbound I can; it was discontinued I think very early after being released because it wasnt LOL JRPG and that was all that was popular at its time of release (same time as Chrono Trigger, FF4, etc.) <- Needless to say it failed. People still pay around 400$ for romhacked carts of EB0 because they don't do research ahead of time. Basically, people do some fancy soldering work and put an EB0 rom onto a random cart. Most of the time it just displays the piracy notice. The piracy notice in EB doesn't exist, it just increases the monster spawn rate to 100% and deletes your save file right before Giygas; sneaky! [/verbose post]
 EDIT: The article you posted was the article I was going to post hurray! :fogetmmh:

yeah i wonder if mother 3(n64) is ever going to leak in some form or another.

As for this, I have a bit of a tale. IIRC, the fansite starmen.net was going fucking mad over what they thought was a leak of the n64 M3, but I think it turned out to be some shitty tennis game once or something once the original leaker got around to hacking them so he could open em'. They came in these cute little blue blocks and had masking tape on them.
Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:40:50 pm by Immakinganaccountk
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • 100% not arab
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Chrono Trigger in the original package goes for over 1k, so does Earthbound. I can't really understand Chrono Trigger, as it's not exactly rare, but Earthbound I can; it was discontinued I think very early after being released because it wasnt LOL JRPG and that was all that was popular at its time of release (same time as Chrono Trigger, FF4, etc.) <- Needless to say it failed. People still pay around 400$ for romhacked carts of EB0 because they don't do research ahead of time. Basically, people do some fancy soldering work and put an EB0 rom onto a random cart. Most of the time it just displays the piracy notice. The piracy notice in EB doesn't exist, it just increases the monster spawn rate to 100% and deletes your save file right before Giygas; sneaky! [/verbose post]
 EDIT: The article you posted was the article I was going to post hurray! :fogetmmh:

As for this, I have a bit of a tale. IIRC, the fansite starmen.net was going fucking mad over what they thought was a leak of the n64 M3, but I think it turned out to be some shitty tennis game once or something once the original leaker got around to hacking them so he could open em'. They came in these cute little blue blocks and had masking tape on them.

No they don't. Where are you getting this?

edit: I mean, maybe they HAVE, but those people ridiculously overpaid. I just did a quick eBay search and there's multiple auctions for both games complete in box, in the 150-300 dollar range, some of them even Buy It Now.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
Words quoted within words.

I really should elaborate in my posts more. They can go for that range with the instruction booklet, unopened, poster, etc. Also, 1000$ isn't some sort of standard. So yeah, you're right. I have seen 3-4 auctions go for that range, though (one of the websites I frequent has a rare game cart tracker sort of jangle).

I did a quick ebay search for an example and I found these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140338267104. If anyone wants a cheap Earthbound chart and is feeling lucky (5 days left), check this out. Earthbound has been selling like hotcakes ever since it was concluded that it wouldn't be coming out on the Wii.

How bout I just post the examples now:
A "rommed" cart (most likely): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260456807564
This: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270412641645
and EB selling for 1k (link broken to ebay auction is broken, but I saw it a few days ago. (see: month?) ):http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/05/earthbound-auction-tops-1000/

EDIT:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrono-Trigger-Super-Nintendo-SNES-game-RARE_W0QQitemZ140337036336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vintage_Video_Games?hash=item20acbd3c30&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Just for fun. Want Chrono Trigger? 5 hours left no bids and a buy it now. 44 dollars.

======
I went overboard, didn't I?
Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:06:19 am by Immakinganaccountk
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
Speaking of Snes carts, I was surprised at how available they are in Japan, especially in Akihabara. When I went there were atleast 3-4 shops dedicated to Snes/Nes and I was able to buy FFV and FFVI for 1000 yen each (in jap ofcourse).
"the way you speak about rm2k3, like "modules, arrays, pointers" sounds like
you're some badass c++ programmer stuck in the past and only has rm2k3 to
work with"
-Gutts
  • god damn it man-o-war god damn it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
(in jap ofcourse).
I prefer games in their intended language. if I'm playing a jrpg (jap role playing game) and it's not in jap, is it really worth my time? I'm all about the authenticity.
don't mind me, just postin' after a few brewskies
somebody’s Barkley --- could be another’s Monopolo.
  • Hardcore.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Speaking of Snes carts, I was surprised at how available they are in Japan, especially in Akihabara. When I went there were atleast 3-4 shops dedicated to Snes/Nes and I was able to buy FFV and FFVI for 1000 yen each (in jap ofcourse).

Even my local flea market has 3-4 shops dedicated to selling old games, especially NES and SNES games.
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.
Here's the game in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbXqes9pC8&feature=related