Dev - RM2k3 Need some advice....[RESOLVED] (Read 582 times)

• Always needing help....
  • Pip
  • Group: Member
My perfectionisticness is driving me crazy and I cant decide!!!!  :crazy:

Im making a system where if you get a item like from a chest...the chest pops open and a graphic of the item fades up from the chest...then when you press Space or whatever it disapears....Now thats all great and working well and all, but I also made a "counter" that shows up on the corner of the screen that incraments when you get that item showing you your total quantity of that item...It works pretty slick!

But my problem is the displaying of the quantity....

A. Should it show the item pop out of the chest and the quantity box pop up with another picture of the item...a "x" and the amount like this:

B. Or should the only graphic of the item be out of the chest and the quantity box just say like "x 1" with no picture in the box?

I need some 3rd party advice on this one!
Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:41:20 am by Dart00
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
The graphic is pretty pointless if you already have the text. It's just extra crap that you don't really need.

you should also release your dang game by now. or a demo. or ask people to test it for you. :P
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • Pip
The graphic is pretty pointless if you already have the text. It's just extra crap that you don't really need.

Thats what I was thinking...how necessary is it...I think ill eliminate the box graphic...I want to do the graphics cause im looking into a graphical CMS.

you should also release your dang game by now. or a demo. or ask people to test it for you. :P

Ya...I got some local friends working on the bugs maybe its almost ready for a demo....I just get self-conscious about my work a lot....bad habit.

Take it easy, haha. It's just amateur game-making. No one's going to jump down on you and throttle you for not making the most refined, well-polished, smoothest game ever. (to be fair, though, I would if you were a professional company. Massive rage at Wild ARMs' "The planet it's environment". FFFFFFFFF)

I think it'd work nice already if you just included the total item quantity (after adding the quantity found in the chest) within the message box itself. Something simple like (\c[3]\v[99]\c[0]) would already work; after a while, players'll get what that number represents.
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
honestly, the only way you can really get good advice though is by showing what you have been working on. If you really are concerned about the quality of your work, it would be a good idea to get help from people who are experienced in making games (i.e. people around here).

From looking at your screenshots, you may not please people who only care about graphics. But, if you have some good game play or storyline, then it should be okay.

you certainly have improved though on your maps compared to when I first tried it a couple years ago. I am curious to know how much you improved on the actual flow of the game play.
Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:19:06 am by Tomato
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • Pip
Hehe....a lots happened and a lot has been improved. I keep on thinking im done with a aspect and BOOM comes another idea....I like working with RTP...still. haha. The maps are doing much better, but im still improving. Im in no rush to get done...thats how my maps got like that in the first place..rushing. The story is still in the works. Its not really near completion yet.

I was thinking about something like (\c[3]\v[99]\c[0]) but insted the number incraments like Zelda OOT...on the money it looks kinda neat! Took 4 days to get it all to work right...talk about headaches.
  • MURRY CRITSMATS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
It was all the worrying about stupid little details like that that don't even end up mattering in the end that made me lose interest in game making. Just wasn't very fun after a while.

R.I.P Steel
  • Pip
It was all the worrying about stupid little details like that that don't even end up mattering in the end that made me lose interest in game making. Just wasn't very fun after a while.

Ya...I guess that is really small...*shrugs*.

But I got it solved and am continuing.
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
The way you're using the icon is pointless. The whole thing just takes up too much of the screen.

Why not have a single window on the or towards the top. Have a slender window that's laid out like this.

[Icon] You found two poison cures!

You can change the icon depending on the nature of what you found. A little shield icon for shields, a little potion icon for potions, and so on.
  • Pip
The way you're using the icon is pointless. The whole thing just takes up too much of the screen.

Why not have a single window on the or towards the top. Have a slender window that's laid out like this.

[Icon] You found two poison cures!

You can change the icon depending on the nature of what you found. A little shield icon for shields, a little potion icon for potions, and so on.

Hmm...maybe if I wrote on the 4th line of the message box I could make the text box a lot smaller...sounds good. I think im finishing for the night but ill play with it tommrow and post a updated Screen shot.
  • Pip
Ok...iv spent most of the morning editing and tweaking and I got the GUI formatting redone for the finding items:

And if you have already 99 or the amount you find will exceed your inventory from 99:

I think it looks a lil better.  :)
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
Take it easy, haha. It's just amateur game-making. No one's going to jump down on you and throttle you for not making the most refined, well-polished, smoothest game ever. (to be fair, though, I would if you were a professional company. Massive rage at Wild ARMs' "The planet it's environment". FFFFFFFFF)
Massive rage at Wild Arms 3: 'WHY DO YOU SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK'. :cry:

How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • Pip
Massive rage at Wild Arms 3: 'WHY DO YOU SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK'. :cry:

I never played any of the Wild Arms games...why do I keep on negative feedback on Wild Arms 3? Was it really that bad?
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
I never played any of the Wild Arms games...why do I keep on negative feedback on Wild Arms 3? Was it really that bad?

Yes. Good lord yes.
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.