Scary Why do people keep using rtp , rips , or someone else's material? (Read 4481 times)

• Descendant of Pirates!
  • Group: Member
I mean...  unless you are making a fan game or something like that , which is what I am doing.
But even if you are making a fan game , the rips should be customly edited to improve onto the design .

And why do people use  overused music or midis?

I heard a zelda song on a dragonballz game  ​
I am sick with a bad cold.
Benylin is the grossest medicine on Earth.
  • Comrade!
IDK dude, its just easier to take someone else's stuff I guess.  With RPG maker, there are tons of resources out there for sprites and things, chipsets, charsets and the like.

Current Projects:
The Alliance---30%
If I commented on your project, please take some time to check out mine.
  • Descendant of Pirates!
It's kind of a game killer though.

What if mario was made , using bits and pieces of other games.

It's like a Nintendo employee goes up to Shigeru and says , "Sir , we couldn't find a good enough koopa sprite , so we just stuck in a person with a green backpack"
  • I did ok on this one but his feet are kinda wierd!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Because they're novices and they're lazy, and they're new. You're over complicating things. I promise there's no conspiracy and you'll definitely gain nothing by complaining about it because in general, the community doesn't care. People do what people do.
 :welp:
If we were professionals, I can tell you that people would be pissed off and what not. But uh, we're not. So nobody cares.
  • Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
it's not a game killer to me at all. as long as the game is fun i don't care too much about what the graphics look like.
  • Sunflower of the Jollyflower Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Seeing that question coming, Yeaster's games were a montage of almost everything, proving that some games can stand with less Annie May-ish faces, that taken over by real persons' faces.

Oh, in my case... since I don't have the right tools to come up with music, so I use someone elses, but not the dominant ones like from Final Fantasy, Persona and other overused OSTs.

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga
  • Descendant of Pirates!
I got to admit that using other resources is fine , as long as pikachu isn't in a chrono trigger rm2k(3) remake.
  • I`m serious!
  • PipPipPipPip
Persona? Overused? What may you be talking about good sir?

Also, I don't care either. I mean, haven't we all seen the same blue lunar animation like a hundred times already?
I like pie :-)
  • Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip
I felt like using RTP because, at the time, RTP graphics were poorly-used last resorts, and I felt like proving that they could be used to make good games... That, and I have always used RTP, so I've got the most experience with that. Instead of using Rm2k3's RTP for music, I've decided to use XP and VX music for overall better music.
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
rips aren't just bad for those playing the game, they're also bad for those making their game. with rips you will never be able to properly design the exact game you imagine in your head. your level design and storytelling and everything else will be dictated by whatever your rips allow you to have in your game.
this

and the reason i forced myself to learn game maker is that i HAVE to make all the resources for my game, and it really improves my drawing and spriting, and i've become a much better artist overall because of it.
www.jmickle.com
(The point I'm going to be arguing here is that using rip edits and someone elses' sprites are okay.  I still don't like RTP, and don't especially like straight charset rips.)

a)  Most RPG Makers are RPG Makers, not artists.  Even though spriting is related to RPG Making, drawing in 16-bit is really not the reason that we do what we do.
b)  If you draw worse than the web resources you can download, then using custom creations just makes the game look worse than using somebody elses' creations.
c)  Anything that isn't ugly or RTP should be perfectly satisfactory.  I agree that it would look bad in professional games (despite the fact that there are a plethora of professional games that use characters from other games, like Super Smash Bros etc.), the fact is that with professional games, people with artistic talent are paid to draw original graphics.  I might learn to draw in 16-bit if I could pay rent doing it.

But really, I don't think it has a bearing on how good a game is.  Especially if we're talking charsets and music, because you can have a good looking game using just web resources for those.  As far as chipsets go, I generally do have to edit web resources, mix-and-match, or draw my own; because chipsets are often lacking a lot of the details that you want to be in your map.
Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:09:58 pm by Lackeos
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
despite the fact that there are a plethora of professional games that use characters from other games, like Super Smash Bros etc.

this isn't the same thing as using rips at all
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
this isn't the same thing as using rips at all

Velfarre you are obviously not a pro gamer like myself since clearly the character NESS is from the smash hit game "Earthbound" (I only use that name so as to not confuse the plebes on this forum since it's true name is Mother 2) also makes an appearance in "Super Smash Brothers Brawl". This proves that "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" uses ripped characters from other series. And like Alex Ross #7 has pointed out, it is an absolute game killer. The other ripped characters such as Mario and Dr. Doom only serve to prove why "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" is an awful game. Plus, it has awful gameplay since the single player is only about an hour long. What a waste of money.
The Misadventures of Crimebot
putting licensed characters in an equally licensed game is one thing, using chrono trigger characters and just giving them new names to put them as your rpg characters is another

if you are actually making a fangame (hint: 99% of the time don't, they're mostly awful), it's fine using rips because it makes sense, but a lot of people just use rips for their own shit and it's awful, especially if you recognize the graphics from another game
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Not everyone who's a good storyteller is a good artist, so people often use edits or rips, resources made by other people, or the Charas project. Another option, of course, is to team up on a game, but few amateur maker seem to do this. I wish people occasionally did this more often, but pulling a team of artists, coders, and composers together is , I am sure, not easy, and not everyone's up for it.
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I always considered it similar to my (non film school, mind you) impression of a director's run-up to a project: script review, cast selection, location scouting, and ,if need be, set design.

Using stock content does limit what you can do, but I don't turn off a game the second I see something that I've seen before. Professional games do the same thing, to a degree. In their case, though, they usually take gameplay elements from other works and put a new top-coat on it. I'd rather see someone make a game that was fun and original to play, than to see a very generic game with 100% eye popping original artwork.

I do think that people who use pre-existing stuff, especially the sprites for their main cast, should edit them to some degree so that they are not carbon copies.

What has killed a lot of my projects, especially when I was younger, was that I simply couldn't reconcile the stuff I could find or create with the material I could see in my head.
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
I always considered it similar to my (non film school, mind you) impression of a director's run-up to a project: script review, cast selection, location scouting, and ,if need be, set design.

I don't get how this is the same thing at all.  This topic is full of horrible analogies so far!
BRRING! BRRING!
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Why do people keep using rtp , rips , or someone else's material?

For the same reason people don't make their own furniture
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • Is this the face of a guy you can trust !?
  • PipPipPipPip
I think Lackeos has most of the points:

1. Not everyone is an artist.
2. Those resources might look better than what most of us can do.
3. Making RM doesn't pay (if it does we might put more EFFORT into it).

Add:

4. I can't make music/midis.
5. Making full custom takes enormous amount of time (chipseettt), which most of us don't have (honestly, working on same game for 3 years can get boring - exaggerated example).

However I also agree that full generic (RTP) is boring. Try to give a small edit to make it look different I guess (be it color, new items, placement, designs etc). Use your ImaginationTm. You know,try to mix and match the stuff around. It ain't that hard to copy paste pictures. (I am talking mostly about chipset ok).

Also, game music doesn't really bug me. I encourage to use music from less known game though or use less known music from a game.
Sprites and Stuff
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I don't get how this is the same thing at all.  This topic is full of horrible analogies so far!

Script Review: Figure out the components required for the type of story that you are trying to tell. Get a feel for the characters, their personalities, and by extension - hopefully, their appearances. Get a rough sketch in your mind of the areas that the story takes place.

Cast Selection: Use charas to start putting sprites together who look like they can fill the roles in your script. Alternatively, create your own from scratch, or grab some rips/rtp.

Location Scouting: Find tile/chipsets that will serve well for the locations planned out in the script.

Set Design: When the above fails and you have to create your own backgrounds to portray the scene as outlined in the script

It seemed fairly self explanatory to me.
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He