Dev - RM2k3 I really want to get back into this... (Read 1389 times)

• Group: Member
Hey everyone, new guy here... Just a little about me (this isn't really an introduction topic, but whatver). I used to be really active in the RM2K community back when it was the hot stuff. The place where I hung around the most, RPGLand.net, dried up as a community a few years ago and with the releases of RMXP and RMVX, for some reason, I just stopped making games. I have, however, wanted to get back into the fray, so here is my question to you, the only game making community that I know of!!

The Question
To what extent does the RPGMaker community still exist? Are people still making games with RM2K and RM2K3? And to what extent? RMXP and RMVX are simply too hard to work with if you can't script, and getting resources that aren't in a cliche fantasy setting are nigh impossible.
  • Pip
It exists.

There are still a lot of RM2K3 games being developed out there... And a fair share of RM2K ones as well. If you want a sampling, check this: http://rpgmaker.net/games/. It's the most recently updated games on RM, a good portion of them from the older versions. There should be plenty of an audience/community for this sort of game.

Though if you want to start fresh, VX/XP might be the way to go because of scripting, if you care to pick it up. Or maybe you're better off learning a real language to design games with.
WombatRPGs
  • now das fresh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Nope, stop making games with any RPGMaker program. If you are a die-hard game creator then learn game maker or some other reputable program.
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • Pip
If you're a die-hard game creator, you're not using an engine in the first place...
WombatRPGs
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
If you're a die-hard game creator, you're not using an engine in the first place...

I think you need to reword that, game creators use engines all the time, you're thinking of game creating software.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Pip
Eh, pretty much. Thanks for pointing that out.

Elaborating, I mean that none of us are really considering profitable releases and the like, so as long as it's easier and enjoyable to use creator software, (and an audience still exists for a game), there's no reason not to. I'll admit GM and others have a larger audience, but there are still people willing to play games made in RM2K/3.
WombatRPGs
  • Star ninja and Québec random guy of GW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
but there are still people willing to play games made in RM2K/3.

Beyond people making games with RM themselves, I doubt so.
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Nah they'll still play it depending on how it looks like 'w'
  • Pip

That counts in my book... A style of create/play that could be described as "incestuous," but fun anyway.
WombatRPGs
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

When you have idiots who sell and buy garbage like this http://www.johnwizard.com/

I somehow can't agree with you.
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yes, people still use it!  Check out the demo for "Alter Aila Genesis!"
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • Pip
When you have idiots who sell and buy garbage like this http://www.johnwizard.com/

I somehow can't agree with you.

That... is very very scary.
WombatRPGs
  • Here are some of their hands
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

i kid, of course.

but seriously, this aveyond trend is fucking terrifying. i read somewhere (oh, sweet conjecture) that that series has probably made over a million dollars. it is pretty much THE indie success story. unfortunately, the games are terrible, which makes it bittersweet.

also to be somewhat on-topic, drule showed me construct, if you'd like to start fucking around with that. this video is amazing in particular
Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:57:00 am by Pasty
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
The place where I hung around the most, RPGLand.net, 

I hung around that site sometimes too...

TimeBreaker looked awesome. Shame it disapeared.

As for RM2K3/2 games, yes people will play them, I know I do.
  • Star ninja and Québec random guy of GW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
That counts in my book... A style of create/play that could be described as "incestuous," but fun anyway.

Yeah, that's exactly how I described it on IRC some times ago, incestuous.
I think it is very toxic. You just feed of each others idea and incorporate them to your games and then claim innovation. Maybe it's because I'm "out of the loop" but when I check the game dev forum, I just see the same thing over and over again.
  • Pip
I think it is very toxic. You just feed of each others idea and incorporate them to your games and then claim innovation. Maybe it's because I'm "out of the loop" but when I check the game dev forum, I just see the same thing over and over again.

No, it's not just you. There are a lot of games that seem to be the same sort of epic using the DBS, but there are also quite a few more original ones out there. The problem of having something like RM is that a lot of the products will be exactly what the maker was intended to make: fantasy JRPGs. Big surprise. However, I wouldn't say most people claim these are "innovative."
WombatRPGs
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1492/

While not innovative, I highly recommend this game. I wish more people put in the extra effort this guy put in. The game itself even a dated effort; so Im sure the guy could even make much better stuff now.
  • Epic Hero
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Well this isn't true at all.  Even in professional studios you really only have a handful of programmers writing things with raw code.  And they are developing tools that the designers use that are a lot like Game Maker, Torque, RPGMaker etc.  A lot of these tools are tidied up and published for modders, like the mod tools that came with Fallout and Oblivion.

And if you're talking about independent development, you're still usually using editors.  Torque, for example, is used for all sorts of high-profile XBox 360 arcade games:

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/xbox360

EDIT: But yeah people should stop using RM2k3!  There are much better tools out there that have much better publishing avenues.
  • *peck*
  • PipPipPip
wasn't there that one german game made in rm2k that actually looked and played damn well respectable. like it wasn't shitty at all.

i'm trying to remember the name. what ever happened to that game i thought it was going to be translated but it didn't.
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
mince wobley made that one game using the rm2k engine but i have a feeling he coded his own editor for it.
www.jmickle.com