Topic: phone harrasment (Read 488 times)

• salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
hey guys, i thought this might end up becoming a rather interesting point of conversation, but sort of let me sum up the situation that apparently I have been placed in.

A few days ago (I believe it was perhaps saturday night the 31st to be exact), I got a text message from a phone number that I have never seen before, and then a call from that number about 5 minutes later (I did not respond to the text message.)  Confused, I answered the phone and inquired to the other party as to their identity.  They claimed to have gotten a text messsage from my phone number, and were calling to see who this was.  I am confused at this point because the area code is from new york, and it doesn't match anyone's that i know up there, nor do I recognize the voice (nor the strange accent that he had going on), nor have I ever texted this number before.  I told him i have no idae how they got this number, nor anything about a text message from my phone as well.  At this point, the person starting asking questions such as, how old I was, where I was at and shit like that. I  refused to answer these questions and ended the conversation.   

The following night I continued to get a few text messages from this number, of which I ignored.  It was shit such as "did you get my message" and stuff like that.  I got a text the next morning from the number that said "good morning."  Didn't hear from them for the rest of the day, and just about an hour ago, I got a text asking "did you get my message?"  Anyways, I really am kind of pissed off and have no idea what exactly I should do at this point.

As far as I know, it is not harrasment in that nothing other than getting unsolicited/unwanted texts messages from this number.   I haven't responded to any of the messages either, and have not returned contact since the first phone call.   I'm curious as to what you guys would suggest.  There is no function on my phone to block the number, but perhaps through the carrier?

Anyways, have any of you guys had anything interesting or such happen with your mobiles?  Maybe talk about the times that you called some random girl and breathed into the receiver for a few minutes?
  • Here are some of their hands
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
i once got a text from a random number asking if i was in my house (what the fuck) and i didn't respond. iirc if you call your carrier's customer service department and ask them to block an incoming phone call from that number they'll do it. i'm not sure about blocking text messages, though.
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
the only thing that happened to me is that i got a call from some unknown number so i answered it.  the person on the other end was saying something that was plainly not in english.  i don't think they actually heard me say hi (they were talking pretty loud like right after i answered) but then i just said "...what???" and they hung up a second or so later.  i looked at the number and realized it had several extra digits so i looked it up and it had the country code of somewhere in africa.  so yeah, some african person was trying to call someone and somehow got me instead.  sorry, african person, didn't mean to waste your time :(
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
delete them and don't respond/answer. :welp: seems like a v. easy problem to solve
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
You can talk to your service provider and they can block the number
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• Worthless Protoplasm
one time I got some call on my phone at like 5 o clock and it wasn't like silence and it did sound like "is someone there' but it ended up sounding like IS MZWA THERE and I'm still not sure to this day whether it was a real call that was just distorted or a dream

it was just really strange and unreal though writing about it doesn't capture how it felt like it seemed like it was heard through a BANDPASS FILTER or something
Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:35:49 am by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
My suggestion is that if they call again next time politely let them know they have a wrong number. You might even be able to help them figure out where the mistake is- maybe they hit a 7 instead of a 4 or something. Try to be patient. 

When i lived with my parents I had some actual phone harassment after  high school graduation form some people I'd mistakenly told some personal things- people who Id never really gotten along with but who at the tome seemed to be warming to me- this was during high school. Anyway, they ended up making inappropriate phone calls AFTER graduation so we got caller ID and blocked the number.  I occasionally run into one of the guys sometimes but I shrug off what he says even if he calls me a fag. :fogetshrug:
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • Dog: "Just tell me what the hell you want me to do!"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
troll him, send him unwarranted texts, and unsolicited sexts.
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Not sure, but yeah see if you can block them through the carrier.

Got MagicJack, worst phone service ever. They assigned me a number which was last used by some guy in thousands of dollars in debt, and every day some mofo calls demanding to talk to him. "Sorry sir, -explain explain explain explain-"  "UH HUH LIKELY STORY, PUNK." Sometimes they're courteous enough to remove me from their calling lists but some people SOME PEOPLE argh. I have heard that more than 2 calls a week constitutes harassment, even for debt collection calls soo I think I'll research that and threaten legal action or something.
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
oh god i almost forgot, i really DID have legitimate phone harassment.  for two weeks a girl at my high school called me every day to quote the bible to me because she found out from someone that i didn't go to church.  she would just start reading the bible to me.  finally my mom answered the phone and went "okay molly.  stop calling here.  if you don't stop we're going to have to put a stop to this ourselves."  at some point she also drove to my house, but just sat in her car in my driveway for about 5 minutes (never got out) then left.
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • more cowbell!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
maybe you should have just accepted god, sounds like an easy problem to fix. :\
http://www.fallingbot.com/
fuck i never thought of that...
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
gwspam him
  • god damn it man-o-war god damn it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
post his number on 4chan and send him a text 'gl hf kekeke u just got zerg rushed by anon ^_^'
don't mind me, just postin' after a few brewskies
somebody’s Barkley --- could be another’s Monopolo.
  • salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
hahaha yeah i got it blocked

terroantula i think i put this in the op but yeah i talked to them initially and explained i don't know who you are this is not someone you know and then after that he started texting me shit.   so he knows full well that it isn't someone he knows or anything like that
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
Not sure, but yeah see if you can block them through the carrier.

Got MagicJack, worst phone service ever. They assigned me a number which was last used by some guy in thousands of dollars in debt, and every day some mofo calls demanding to talk to him. "Sorry sir, -explain explain explain explain-"  "UH HUH LIKELY STORY, PUNK." Sometimes they're courteous enough to remove me from their calling lists but some people SOME PEOPLE argh. I have heard that more than 2 calls a week constitutes harassment, even for debt collection calls soo I think I'll research that and threaten legal action or something.

If it's not your debt ANY amount of calls is harasment. Next when they call get their postal address and send them a letter stating your not the person who owes the money and any further corrispondence should be in writing to the last address they have for the true debter. Don't include your address on the letter though, just in case their like a loan shark or something.

EDIT

Asking MagicJack for a new phone number migh be easier though.
Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:34:42 am by c0nfu53d
  • salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
man having to get a new phone number sucks.  i've had to do it enough in my life and its a real pain for everyone involved
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
If it's not your debt ANY amount of calls is harasment. Next when they call get their postal address and send them a letter stating your not the person who owes the money and any further corrispondence should be in writing to the last address they have for the true debter. Don't include your address on the letter though, just in case their like a loan shark or something.

EDIT

Asking MagicJack for a new phone number migh be easier though.
Huh, you know it never really occurred to me to use snail mail. Wow. That's a great idea, I'll do that.

man having to get a new phone number sucks.  i've had to do it enough in my life and its a real pain for everyone involved
Haah yeah, that's pretty much with anything contact-wise.

At any rate, I think I'll eventually just scrap MagicJack. I do not recommend it at all. It's finicky, requires your computer to be on all the time, has a terrible interface that pops up all the time and minimizes everything on your screen, has really crappy customer support, and always finds a way to mess up your call somehow. Ugh. And what if an emergency hits? I'm SOL if my computer's not on.
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
One time I got a call from a number that was, like, one number different than mine

I called it back and a very embarrassed sounding girl on the other end explained she had dialed the wrong number (I am guessing she was dialing her own number to access her voicemail and dialed mine by mistake!), but it was still confusing getting a call from ALMOST my exact number. I did a double take!

When I got my cell a few years ago people kept calling asking for Amy. Like, at least five different voices. I didn't have anyone's number in my phone back then so I kept answering to see if it was someone I knew, but it was always someone asking for Amy. I'd get one or two calls a day sometimes! It was sort of annoying, but eventually I explained to each person who called that this wasn't Amy's number any more, and they all understood and stopped calling.

Also I have received texts from people who were like "come outside" using numbers I had never seen before. It was always just a friend who's number I didn't have/had a different number for in my phone. I am pretty sure nobody is going to text me to say "ARE YOU AT HOME?" if they didn't know me. CALL THE PHONE POLICE
The Misadventures of Crimebot