Topic: Controversial Gaming News RE: King Kong High Score World Records, Billy Mitchell (Read 874 times)

• ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Billy Mitchell has reclaimed the world record high score for Donkey Kong, and also Donkey Kong Jr.

Ottumwa, Iowa – August 7, 2010 – It’s the achievement that has the International Videogame Hall of Fame buzzing. At 2pm today, Billy Mitchell revealed back-to-back verified world records, reclaiming his coveted Donkey Kong (DK) champion status and setting a new Donkey Kong Jr. (DK Jr.) record to boot.

“I can’t think of a better time and place than at the eve of the IVGHOF to have this happen,” says Mitchell, explaining: “I really have to give a nod to my son who prodded me to do something special for this historic event and Boomers-Grand Prix for graciously giving me the place to set my records.”

The scores - 1,062,800 on DK and 1,270,900 on DK Jr. – were verified live at Boomers-Grand Prix Arcade in Florida by veteran Twin Galaxies referees Todd Rogers and MorningDove Mahoney. Though his goal was to simply tackle DK alone over one weekend, Mitchell notes that he simply couldn’t turn down the opportunity to carry on his winning streak to DK Jr. when he found himself with free time to spare. “I remember a lot of celebration; hugs, kisses and a lot of hooting and hollering. Once that died down, stood there looking at Donkey Kong Jr. and thought ‘there’s one more thing I have to take care of’.”

“This has been a landmark event for Twin Galaxies International,” says David Nelson, Director of Adjudication for TGI. “We’re proud and excited to be here in Ottumwa, Iowa, birthplace of Twin Galaxies, celebrating the very first International Video Game Hall and now playing a key role in this significant gaming achievement.”

The final times for Mitchell’s DK and DK Jr. games were 2hrs 42 and 3hrs 58 minutes, respectively. Asked why he stopped as soon as he had slipped past Hank Chien’s previous world record of 1,061,700, Mitchell adds: “Some say I’m being cocky. Some say I’m being lazy. I say, I’m being Billy Mitchell."

Matthew Bradford (TGI), Director of Editorial Services, Twin Galaxies International

This will be exciting news for alot of gamers, but one thing on the minds of alot of gamers will be '...or is it?'
  • Dwarf Giant
  • PipPipPipPip
Video gaming high scores are about as exciting as watching a leaf grow on a tree.
  • Ò_Ó
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
What do you mean how? Because I'm Billy Mitchell.
  • TV people want to leave
fuck billy mitchell he can suck a dong >​
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
The guys that designed Donkey Kong should have seen this coming.

If I was the one who made Donkey Kong, I would have programmed the game so that it gives more points than anyone could possibly score right at the beginning, but only when I'm playing it. (Having an indisputable record is so much more convenient than having to "re-claim" it over and over again.)
  • I R WIZARD >:O
  • PipPip
  • Group: Member
Billy Mitchell is so much cooler than Steve Wiebe who makes Christian rock albums.
  • GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I have no idea who this Billy Mitchell is or why getting a high score in Donkey Kong is so controversial. Perhaps I better not ask.
  • Hardcore.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
There was a documentary about the Donkey Kong world record called The King of Kong.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.
  • I r TEH DrAgOn RaR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
fuck billy mitchell he can suck a kong >​
  • Gameboy Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
man I heard about this earlier and now I've just been wanting to watch the king of kong all day
  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
better than Simon Plouffe
  • more cowbell!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
still haven't seen king of kong, though i really want to. looks pretty good.
http://www.fallingbot.com/
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
and here I was wanting my walterdays back and bam High score topic had to pop up.
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• 100% not arab
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
The King of Kong was a great movie, but it was a movie. Billy Mitchell was made out to be a bigger dick, the Twin Galaxies guys made out to be more scheming, and Steve Wiebe more heroic than any of them really are I think. I remember reading an interview in EGM where Mitchell accused the doc makers of embellishment and they more or less admitted to it in the interests of making a more entertaining picture. For example, the big confrontation at the restaurant actually ended with Mitchell inviting Wiebe for dinner

Long story short, Mitchell isn't an evil videogame antichrist.

Also I thought he had already reclaimed his highscore.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
i'm pretty sure i read an article somewhere that came to the conclusion that billy mitchell was still a dick, just not as bad of one as they made out in the movie.

to be fair you can tell this purely from his ties.
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
*watches ensuing controversy*

*eyes pop out*
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
*watches ensuing controversy*

*eyes pop out*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
i saw king of kong and hated this billy mitchell guy but i thought it over afterwards and decided who cares

nobody cares at all about donkey kong if any of those old games' high scores, they are just trying to put a "WWF" spin on it
nobody cares at all about donkey kong if any of those old games' high scores, they are just trying to put a "WWF" spin on it

then why is king of kong so dang popular?
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Gameboy Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yeah King of Kong is inaccurate in a lot of ways but it's better because of it.  it's not like a michael moore documentary where manipulative inaccuracies demean the message or whatever of the movie.  it's just about a bunch of nerds.