Topic: The Screenshot Topic (Read 106133 times)

• Pick up that can!
  • Group: Member
That looks pretty good Gongo. Good old refmaps days. By the way the font and numbers are pretty hard to see because of the colors you've chosen. You may one want it to be more easily readable. It's a good thing you've added an HP bar though which definitely helps.

I could make the background colour of the boxes a little darker for them to stand out more but I don’t want it to dark, I’ll give it a shot
Blue is the only color a CBS menu is allowed to be, right?   :laugh:

I use a transparent white square for my "which monster are you targeting?" cursor.
Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:13:54 am by Lackeos
New tileset. Thinking of making the characters more saturated, colorful, and defined so they don't get lost in the background.

The status quo is light panorama, light chipset, black-outlined charsets.  You can do that, or you can flip it and do dark panorama, dark chipset, white-outlined charsets.  But do neither and there will be contrast issues, imo.
  • Here are some of their hands
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
random shot in widescreen!

Just thought I'd show off my latest enemy, Snobloah.  It knows nothing more than to blow snow at anything that crosses its path.  But it's SO DAMN CUTE.  Right?

i need to know what this is.
  • Just like sex, only not really.
It's a game I'm making in Game Maker, and plan to sell.
  • Sunflower of the Jollyflower Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Weird Guy, it's a Megaman-like... keep this up and say... is that really an ice-breathing mech or a vent disguised as something erroneous?

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4167/cbsmockup.png

This is a mock up of the final CBS I’m making but some of it is coded (and by some I mean very little :sad:​) I just filled in the missing parts. also every single monster and boss will be fully animated (idle, status effects, multiple attacking animations ect) and when a monster dies it doesn’t disappear, instead it stays which will let other monsters revive them (And most undead monsters revive themselves after five turns if any other monsters are still alive).
I also got rid of Mana and replaced it with Energy, it works like this, Attacking cost 15 En, That characters En will increase by 15 points and will slowly deplete, once it reaches 0 that character can perform an action, monster also use En though you can’t see there’s.
I’m also planning for a combo system (known as stacking).

I just think you're occuping too much screen space unnecessarely for a CBS. Maybe if those red-filled bars weren't sooo big, you might place huds for HP/MAXHP(I suppose you're just placing the current HP there).

With a smaller red-filled bar, you could place things like this:
[Name]
[Current ][/Current]/[Max ][/Max]
En: [En]
[red-filled ][/red-filled]

Though I must say your bar is very beautiful.

Also I think that hud showing monsters name is really unecessary. I would place the action hud on that space, and make another hud on the top of the screen. The hud on the top of the screen would explain function of the moves/itens and show monsters' name when targeting(like FF7). With that, you woudn't need to place the action hud in the middle of the battlefield(that doesn't sounds well).
Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:42:44 pm by Malbor

Somehow my old account was unbanned, so here I am using this opportunity to show off some Solarian Story.
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
CociCookie: I like that, are you really going to have stupid stuff like that that doesn't make any sense but is sort of a STAPLE of platforming games like that. That would fill kind of a niche, there was always platformers + RPG like Rygar etc. but they really didn't feel as /fun/ as Mario Bros. -type stuff imo. It was too EPIC + those bearded guys with the eyes in their forehead scared me. And River City Ransom was essentially Double Dragon, it could've used some secret warp pipes and stupid stuff like that that appear in regular platformers. Plus what platforming there was wasn't that great

Tomato: I do like the screenshot, it's just hilarious some people have pretty decent-looking screens and then there's this tiny blue box for a screen and everyone's like brilliant this is what I've been looking for all my life. I don't know if people are just jaded about super-clusterfuck screens of cliffs somewhere that makes no fucking sense with the perspective or if it's just that it's not the usual thing you see. It does LOOK LIKE A GAME unlike a lot of stuff here that throws lots of graphics around but fails at actually looking like a game

Lackeos: That should be awful but for some reason I like it a lot. It reminds me of some random jap-only rpg that's not made by Square even though I think you were going for a Romancing SaGa look it reminds me of some random other shit too where they just make these random design choices and it comes off as more appealing than a Square game. Also your dude is standing in the freaking sky but keep that because it's awesome and totally a thing some real forgotten RPG would do

Edit: To clarify let's say maybe some game existed in Japan like FANTASY QUEST and it's obviously like Final Fantasy they don't even try to make it sound different but they randomly include elements from Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest seemingly at random and it kind of makes it strangely appealing because it's just such a hodgepodge of shit from more popular shit

TFT: I like those but for some reason I like the second screen more. I think it's during a fight scene and it totally reminds me of some 5-minute conversation about DO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE POTION and like you can see the structure of a final fantasy-type game in it but the style is so completely different. Even the enemy's pose reeks of final fantasy but I mean that in a good way, it like has more understanding of what Final Fantasy actually looked like than Johnny RPG Maker's random CBS screen even though he's using the same damn graphics from Final Fantasy itself it still doesn't look right. But yeah with the handdrawn look where a final fantasy sprite would feel all squished to stay within the invisible box and probably did all weird tricks like 'the heads use a different palette than the body so the head has to be exactly this big' your graphics are a lot looser with that and seem to spill out of the boundaries and it just looks cool

SupremeWarrior: The main problem I have with Resident Evil-type games on RPG Maker is that RE had all these weird camera angles and other things to make each new area interesting, but that's not possible in RPG Maker and a lot of people forget to just make it an interesting map imo. You seem like you did the maps with the mindset like if there wasn't a zombie invasion, minus the blood and darkness it could be a functional area in a modern RPG. Like I'm guessing this game has a lot of pickups, more like Resident Evil 4 than 1-3, because the map design does make me think like 'maybe there's stuff in here, or here' or maybe some useless RE-style message will come up like "THIS IS A FIRE EXTINGUISHER" thanks Capcom. That would be amazing if there was a lot of interactive stuff but the messages didn't add anything that couldn't be gathered visually and it was completely deadpan like 'we are helping the player by being so informative'

Montai: Those screens are great and the style is great but I seem to remember last time it was just WOODS like it is now, a style like needs a lot more diverse areas to show it off. At least if you had a town or water or something. I think it's just been cliffs so far even, not even much to look at as far as different landscapes. I want to see a bridge or a farm or something cool like that. Even some sort of mine even though mines are so fucking overused in RPGs like hmm what would be interesting I know a mine. Plus we can put another cave dungeon into the game but it won't be a cave it's a fucking mine bitch. Plus it never really FELT much like a mine it was just a cave with wooden support thingies and a cart and maybe tracks and some lights if you're really lucky. Maybe Final Fantasy III did a semi-decent job of looking like a mine but that was way too early and at an important part of the game to appreciate it

those clown sisters are really weird though, it looks like they have triple chinballs or something. But it looks so legitimate like something that would be in a real RPG without ripping anything off. Like I can't think of an example... maybe CHUPON was really weird when you think about it but we were just kids and everything was new so it wouldn't faze us then like it might now. I saw some of the other screens clicking on your sig and it looks really good

Edit: That's part of the problem, I haven't seen an area with SCOPE so far. That style needs at least one or two areas where you're overlooking some village or you're at a beach, while the style's good it feels constrained like some Tactical RPG, one of the ones that wasn't isometric like Shining Force. As far as I remember that game needed a good scenic area too

Schalt: Agh that screen reminds me of the dream I had once about an E.V.O. 2 where it was completely different but still seemed like a good logical progression of the series in a weird way. Maybe I'm thinking about Robotrek though both those games struck me as kind of leftfield for an SNES rpg even though Robotrek sucked
Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:44:46 am by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
@Ragnar: Yeah I'm trying to make every map resemble their real life counterpart, I want my maps to be recognizable as soon as you see them. I'm also trying to make the type of zombie game where it's more free roam and open ended than just following a scary zombie story, thats been tried many times and I know I can't do a very well storyline. I can't promise interactivity but I will try to implement some of it in the game.
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

I've been working on this:
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
looks like there should be some sort of RAFT puzzle or something

wait is it all flooded? I noticed all the grass and the tree sticking out and stuff

Supremewarrior: I'm not saying the game needs to be so interactive, it's just more attention to detail even if it's not LIGHTING EFFECTS AHOY like some other survival horror games, and when I see so much distinct stuff in a game I assume you can do something with it. Or if one object appears brighter than the others, but I don't think you should do stuff like that (making it brighter) because it's not 3D and people will notice everything in the room, you should keep it more like an rpg and force them to look around
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

Actually it's because 2k3 chipsets woudn't permit space for me to place underwater vegetation together with all other things the chip needs. Charsets also won't serve because the water is already a charset.

Of course I might take somethings out of the chipset.

Do you think a different vegetation underwater is really necessary? :l
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Actually it looks interesting like that, it looks like there was a flood
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Tomato: I do like the screenshot, it's just hilarious some people have pretty decent-looking screens and then there's this tiny blue box for a screen and everyone's like brilliant this is what I've been looking for all my life. I don't know if people are just jaded about super-clusterfuck screens of cliffs somewhere that makes no fucking sense with the perspective or if it's just that it's not the usual thing you see. It does LOOK LIKE A GAME unlike a lot of stuff here that throws lots of graphics around but fails at actually looking like a game.

Haha, thanks dude. yeah, i've definitely got it looking like a game, but it's not quite there on playing like a game yet. it's more of a tech demo currently.
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
CAUTION: This picture is 474 KB
A mountain map for my RPG Maker 2003 project, Runic Cipher:
http://pub.gamingw.net/64730/Mountainmap.PNG

I'm using Breath of Fire II tilesets. Tell me what you think!

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Хорошая работа для для того чтобы потерять ваше время путем перенести этот никудышный блок текста в английском.
  • Dog: "Just tell me what the hell you want me to do!"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Is there a reason for that size?
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Is there a reason for that size?
Because I didn't want to take the screenshot at 1/4th or 1/8th views because it wouldn't look as great as half view. Plus, I like to design epic maps.

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Хорошая работа для для того чтобы потерять ваше время путем перенести этот никудышный блок текста в английском.
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
Because I didn't want to take the screenshot at 1/4th or 1/8th views because it wouldn't look as great as half view. Plus, I like to design epic maps.
It's incredibly brown, as in the whole thing kinda blends together. Maybe add a river to add some diversity to it?
  • DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Charsets also won't serve because the water is already a charset.
You could put the charsets somewhere where they fit and you can use the move charset event to move them to where you want to on map load.

I don't think it's really necessary though. It looks good.

Allen Hunter: That looks good. I'm assuming that it's still WIP though and you'll spice it up so it won't look so brown as bick said. Although when playing it I doubt it's even going to be an issue.
Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:22:06 am by DragonSlayer
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death