RPG What order do you make your games in? [Help!!!] (Read 2768 times)

• Zeldagon
  • Group: Member
Hey, I have a quick question. I have an idea for a game, but I have no clue where to start. Can someone please tell me what order to make my game in and how to make a better plot.
Ex: Maps, Characters, Story, Etc...
Ex2: Intro cutscene, Journey, Training, Twist, Death of close one, Etc...

Although I want it to be a lot more detailed, like telling me how you made your game.
 :blarg:

-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Well, it depends on what your best talent is on your preferred game-making program. As for me, I am making my own game called Runic Cipher on RM2k3, but I am more a mapper than an event programmer or a storywriter. Whenever I actually procrastinate from programming events or changing resources, I just modify or add a shitload of maps just to make up the time spent on the game.

As for having a better plot, you don't have to be 100% original. Sometimes a simple & cliched plot can save your game instead of putting down a really complex storyline that can easily confuse your gamers. Just absorb ideas from other games and mix 'em up in a blender. See what you can get.

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Хорошая работа для для того чтобы потерять ваше время путем перенести этот никудышный блок текста в английском.
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I try to make something cool and only then add things to it
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well...

Story Outline and Summary
What kind of gameplay do I want to do?
Stages what do I need? Do I need a forest? Etc.
Hero Graphics
Placeholder enemy
Skills what I Want the hero to have
a few animations and sound effects
then from there on it's chaotic =w=
  • MURRY CRITSMATS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Well back when I DID make games

First thing is gather resources. Find something that looks nice, and most importantly make sure all the resources you gather blend smoothly together. I'd say spend a good day or two on this alone.

Usually next I would make some kind of an introduction with a main idea in mind for the story - Doesn't matter what it is really, just make it set up the game. You can always go back and touch it up to your liking. It'll just set you up for creating the rest of the game.

Then, honestly, do whatever you want. Make maps, making events, do the database. Do everything a little bit at a time, or one after the other. It really doesn't matter.

R.I.P Steel
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
There are a lot of people around here who can tell you better then I, but here are the conclusions that I've come to lately and how.

I think you need to have things planned out fairly well before you actually get to work on the game, because if you don't, you're likely to get lost. This step has killed several of my projects. I always tried to make it up as I went along, and this caused a lot of backtracking to get my new functions working on old maps. It killed any sense of progress, because every time I got a new idea or improved how something worked in-game, I knew I had to go back to screen one and bring it all the way through. This is more for gameplay elements.

Gameplay > Story. If all the ideas you have are for how the plot will play out, and how the characters develop, maybe you're writing a short story instead of a game. I'm not saying that a story isn't important, but the actual mechanics of the game need to take the lead. If the game is fun, if it has interesting features and works well, then people are a lot more likely to play it.

So my current take on the game making rules would be -
1. Have an idea what you're doing.
2. Plan how you're going to do it.
3. Make your characters interesting instead of just making them a collection of tropes (I'm channeling Shadowtext slightly...)
4. Make the game fun to play so that even if the story falls flat, there's still something worth while.
5. Be able to take criticism from your beta testers and learn from it.
Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:39:32 am by Killer Wolf
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • Always needing help....
  • Pip
I would give a strong vote to Story outline before Maps.....You need to have a idea of what you will "need" maps for depending on what your story requires...I just started making maps and then later I found out my story required a diffrent set of maps....im still fixing them up....It set me back far!

1. Story
2. Maps

You take so much longer if you make a game backwards. :crazy:

Also make a "short and small fun game first" Dont aim for something huge untill you gain the skills to make something huge...I started off way to big for my first project...use to game to play around with the maker, see what you can pull off....then your BIG game that you want to make will be so much better.
Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:42:16 am by Dart00
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
Write your story first, otherwise it'll be really chaotic. It also gives you something to build on, rather than making a forest and having to force it into your story, etc.
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • Comrade!
You need a basic storyline/game design idea first.
Even if it's just a puzzle game, you need an idea of what to do first.
I think it's a bad idea to start with a story because you'll end up writing something big and complicated and you'll have no idea how to implement it or you'll give up

• honk
  • Pip
-1 A rough draft of the story
-2 Enough graphics to test my engine
-3 The engine (board engine, menu, then bs and whatever else I need)
-4 Refine the story
-5 Some graphics
-6 Sounds
-7 Events and boards
-8 repeat 4, 5, 6 and 7 untill the game is done
-9 Music
-10 Bug testing

I think I missed some steps but that about sums it up :|
If an image says a thousand words, and a video shows 24 images each second, then why couldn't they condense everything I needed to learn at school into one hour long video :V
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
I think it's a bad idea to start with a story because you'll end up writing something big and complicated and you'll have no idea how to implement it or you'll give up
This is just a perfect example of how everyone starts/creates games differently, Mince Wobley. That is true, however. It depends if you're really determined or not, I guess.  :shrug:
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
I start off with a generic story idea first. (What is the final goal for the player?)

Then I create the world the story is set in. (What kind of world does all this happen in?)

Be sure to ask yourself questions about the culture in the world; for the most part, easy-moding this is not adding in unique cultural tidbits and just treating it as modern-day society with some backloggery on hygiene advancements. (some (professional) games incorporate baths, showering and toilets just fine in medieval games though)

Now you have a basic story and a basic world. The next thing I like to do is make the world map. Even if you won't use one in-game, it's useful for your own reference what the world looks like.

Next, I flesh out the story. What kind of hero is the main protagonist? What kind of allies should (s)he get? What kind of antagonists should there be, and are there notable events that I thnik should happen during the story?

When I have that general outline of a story, I start creating the maps. I create a map first, then add all dialogues/NPCs, and then add miscellaneous objects that can be examined just for that little extra touch.

I continue doing this for all maps until I reach the final map. At that point, I have a game that is "complete", as far as the story-aspect goes; parts of the story are made up as I go, following the basic story I had written down earlier. Some alterations will be made along the road, since I know myself; others might want to finish the story completely first.

All that's left to do is graphics, musical score, battle system and database modification. Since I hate all four of those equally, I like to try and delegate those to others. :) If anything, though, I'd do battle system first, then modify the database to fit that battlesystem, then adjust graphics to fit both battlesystem and the world it plays in, and finally do a musical score.

Last touches go to adding items to be found in the maps, and then bugtesting it/checking the code meticulously for any errors.

Does this work? I have no idea, since I've been stuck at the maps for a while now, due to cardinal laziness and "Oh, hey, this RTP is seriously starting to annoy me". :P
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • Comrade!
  • PipPip
don't start with a story.

start with a gameplay mechanic or design that makes your game fun or unique. make it so when someone plays it for more then ten minutes, they don't regret it.

then worry about your story.
  • my freinds call me theo but u can call me god
  • PipPipPipPip
okay then here comes a short list of how i do it

1. decide your genre. it may look obvious because of RPG MAKER but this is actually important
2. concept design (this includes a short story summary, but also stuff like how do your battles go, how do you enter battle, how do you play the game, controls, special features, etc)
3. resources (decide what kind of resources you want. graphics, music, homemade or downloaded/ripped? and gather some resources you think are an example of what you want)
4. character outlining, detailed (decide who your characters are, what they do, how they look, what they believe in, what their motives are, and how are they connected to your story. i actually have a small list of circa 30 questions to outline my characters, it makes things way easier)
5. script writing (dialogue, events, code, what happens when. this also includes detailed descriptions of your menus, battles, and other custom features you may have. write everything out first before actually making it)
6. making the game (mapping, coding, graphics making, you know the deal. remember it's important that you never make stuff up as you go along. make sure you always have a script to refer to.)

this is usually how i do it. i may have left a thing or two out, but you get the deal.
  • MURRY CRITSMATS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Judging from the mixed responses here, this just proves that they're no definitive answer. Just go at your own pace, the number 1 most important thing to finish a game is motivation.

R.I.P Steel
  • Zeldagon
Hey, thanks billions for the help, today I sat down for two hours making a [very] rough draft, well actually more like an event log and the draft will be written tomorrow, Here it goes:

<>Agari is lost in the woods
<>Maura finds him and shows him the way to Luna Village
<>Agari recieves wooden sword and shield from Taliban
<>The next day Agari wakes up to find out that the town is gone
<>Agari sets out on his journey to find the people
<>Agari must wander through another forest
<>When he gets to Lankai village a man teaches him how to use his Aura
<>Agari must travel up a short path to Hironama
<>Prof.Caldell tells him that Rosumar probably kidnaped the villagers and took them to his home
<>Agari must go to and through the Giro Mountains to find them
<>Rosumar strangely gives them up without a fight
<>They all go home, while Agari crosses the bridge to Aranai to find out what is happening
<>All of the towns that he goes to are abandoned, except for the hidden city of Kasrai
<>There, a loon tells him to go to Yikarugi
<>Agari makes it there in time to discover that Mordak has taken over Kasrai also
<>Agari has to fight him, but Mordak still imprisons Agari and takes him to the Salem Mountains
<>Rosumar was the one who kidnaped everyone to keep them confused while Mordak searches for the sword of theives
<>Agari fights Rosumar, but when defeated he flees from the mountain
<>Agari must find his way out
<>At Yikarugi, Maura turns out to be one of Rosumar's recruits to set him up
<>After supposedly defeating Maura, Agari must go to the Obsidian Forest, Aura River, and the Lousen Sea to find the seven keys to the Song           of Thieves, an entirely new element that stands between fire, ice, and darkness
<>After doing that, the Sword of Thieves appears mysteriously
<>Agari ventures out to defeat Rosumar
<>Rosumar dropped one of the three bones after killing him, and one of them was given to Agari by his mom when she died
<>These bones are for The Cave of Passage that leads to a new country
<>All of the people returned home
<>Agari enters the trinity reserve to fight Maura agian
<>Maura steals the bones from Agari after he is almost defeated
<>He attempts to escape, but surprisingly the whole village is just outside of the reserve and so she drops the bones and runs away

That about wraps it up, tell me what you think

Name:The Song of Thieves
Genre:Rpg
Theme:Fantasy
Engine:Rm2k3
Features:
+Lots of side missions
+Over 100 beasts to fight
+This is the first of the trilogy
+Huge world to explore
+There is a whole other story through the Cave of Passage
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!
Now this is what happens

• my freinds call me theo but u can call me god
  • PipPipPipPip
That's also limiting yourself to whatever engine you're using or to your own skills. You can always ask for help too. According to that logic everyone should use default battles and menus because they don't know how to do stuff. Well, guess what, everything you want do can be learned.

That's just how I think about it. I never did any scripting for RMXP in the past, but once I got down to try out some Ruby, it turned out it's really not that hard.

I think I can even go one step further with this and say that if all you ever do is stuff you already know, you're not gonna learn anything.

ofcourse all this bs doesn't apply who just make games for the lulz or to kill time / hobby whatever, but i think people who intend to make a serious game that people will enjoy, should pay attention to this
It's not limiting anything it's just that if you don't know how to turn an idea into a game and you can't find out either you're not going to make it.