Topic: Bonkers and the quest to avenge Frederick the cyborg moose (Read 1254 times)

• [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
This project is the result of combining Bonkers Sewer Adventure and Banana Nababa 2.

Here is a few vids to showcase what it's like:

Controls are Z X C + space + arrows

You can press B to go directly to the boss in each stage. To get back to the stage selection, simply commit suicide and choose Exit.

Theres 3 stages, none of them are quite complete and have a few dummy rooms each but Toy Factory is the closest to being done, Greenhouse is second and Sewers is last.

The plan is to only have 4 levels from which these 3 must be completed to advance.

Download from:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_26_06_2010.rar

PS. I hope the music works, I don't think you need the actual Bassmod dll for it to work since afaik they are included in the exe or something like that.
Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:27:15 am by Supra Mairo
  • god damn it man-o-war god damn it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
the music is okay mostly except at the beginning (I played sewer zone first) it is very very buggy in my experience. it didnt start until like 15 seconds of playing, and the boss music never changed even when I died (I am p sure it did for the other bosses) and it eventually cut out entirely(also didn't happen for others, although I might not have fought them for as long).
Also, is it supposed to just stop letting you do anything when you beat a boss? it should go back to the level menu imho
don't mind me, just postin' after a few brewskies
somebody’s Barkley --- could be another’s Monopolo.
  • Sadistic Magician
This game is so awesome!
Should have gotten way more replies.
The music worked fine in the toy factory, except it did not loop

I would really love to make a game like this one day, maybe I will if I ever graduate from rpg maker
  • PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
none of the music looped for me, but that was the only problem I had. didn't play the sewers because I assumed they were the same as last time

the change weapon button needs to be something other than space, makes me hit the wrong key too often. left shift or something

I like the GFX and bonkers the character
  • :O~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Laz, I bloody love you.
youtube.com/teamhibbert
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
You're doing the fake-retro thing really well. Put it on gamejolt
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • Fuckin' A.
so that's what this is!
 Thanks for the information of Bonkers Sewer Adventure and Banana Nababa 2.
cheap textbooks
  • Worthless Protoplasm
Thanks for the information of Bonkers Sewer Adventure and Banana Nababa 2.

thanks for the information of you're a robot from China and can go eat my butt

Edit: 3 laws of robotics dammit
Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:44:56 am by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Here is a new version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_31_05_2010.rar
  • [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Update:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_04_June_2010.rar
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
this is very upsetting to me. i love your games but i cannot play this because game maker doesn't work under Wine and i have moved permanently to linux. :[
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Since retro platformers are my favourite kind of game, I must play this and then write about it since your games are always awesome.

Also Laz, quick question. How long does it take to go from being able to do NOTHING in Gamemaker (not knowing how to use it) to being able to make a functional platformer? I have a great idea for one that I don't think has ever been done, and I'd really like to attempt. I'm just wondering what the learning curve is like.

(No, I clearly do not check Game Design very often anymore.)
Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:39:34 pm by UPRC
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
opening an example game that comes with game maker. depending on your computer, it could take anywhere from 1ms to never(if you never install game maker, or attempt to open the file)

using that example game as a base, and learning what you can from that or whatever you should be up to PLATFORM MASTER in like a week, idk game maker is easy if you're not really dumb

but I'm not laz so ignore this post why did I answer oh no!!!
  • <Custom Title here>
  • Pip
That would depend on how much you know about coding/scripting in general. The editor itself is fairly easy to grasp but you wont get much done without GML (that would be the game maker scripting language).
I'm no Game Maker expert but I actually learned the basics from one of Laz's earlyer games, Banana Nabab. He was nice enough to provide the source file complete with easy to understand comments.
You can also giving Construct a try.

But yeah, Im not Laz either so lets pretend its bonus advice shall we? :)
Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:30:14 pm by Maxximum
  • [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well this project has existed for 6+ months now BUT a lot of that has been idling and zero motivation slumps, and to be fair this is the sort of game that could be made in less than a month.

But how long it takes to learn well it kinda depends on a lot of stuff, like previous experience etc. but I never really had any problems when I got started, it was and still is a lot of rince and repeat with a few innovations every now and then. With innovations I do mean discovering new, smarter ways to produce the desired results.

But while on this thread, the game is pretty much done right now content wise (note the demo here is really old and a lot has changed since then). I just need to make an ending, improve the opening, code a few things and then get a whole bunch of audio/music into it and it's as good as done. I will probably give out the editable again since I really don't see the point of keeping them to myself.
  • [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_26_06_2010.rar

Here is the latest version which is only one of the last. This is pretty much the full game, it still needs the original soundtrack and a lot of sounds but this is it.
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Very cool game, Laz. I think that this is easily your best yet! So is the game just called Negaman?
  • [Utada Hikaru <3]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm thinking Warlock Bentspine because he throws fireballs and has a bent spine.

Also for anyone who might be struggling with the game, use the password 614 to get yourself into the last level.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
The games difficulty was dampened by having infinite lives, imo. Whenever I got to a new room I would just kill myself and get full life again, no penalty.
Also, I'm not sure if it was a bug or not, but the last level looked like it displayed the wrong picture. It showed level 3's boss picture flipped.
Also I found it hard to use most of the non-basic weapons, there were really no applicable situations except the bubbler against the dude that stays on the ceiling in the last level and sometimes in the greenhouse level. I guess I used the boomerangs to kill the robot and final bosses. I never used the shield though.

fakeedit: I think I probably could've used shield on the greenhouse level for the purple things sthat jump between pods or w/e so nvm the weapons were all usable if you think about the situations (I don't, heh)