Rant anime (dubbs) (Read 1366 times)

• PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
but yeah I really do think it's a 'feel' sort of thing, where it's appealing because nothing quite feels like an anime like there is so much stuff they could improve nowadays - aren't all anime voices still super-squeaky/whiney I would think they could find less cheesy voice actors now but it's left in as an integral part of the style... or something
yeah this is true. I've actually typed up something about this before somewhere but I can't get myself interested enough to do it again

one part you're overlooking is that a lot of these series are essentially marketing in themselves and part of the reason they keep doing things over and over again is because it has worked in the past and is known to draw in viewers. but I also think that by now there are the people who are products of this aesthetic and ahve grown to love it getting involved in the creation process and recycling shit without even realizing it
  • TV people want to leave
speaking of the whole watching soap operas for kitsch value is there a sizable portion of people who watch anime for the same reason? I dunno the internet also makes it seem like everyone ever is pretty hardcore about it like we're ironic about it but I don't think most of GW watches anime anymore is there anybody who watches it ironically and... still wants to watch anime

I don't think I'd call it for kitsch value but I do watch animes almost entirely out of nostalgia.  I mean, the last two animes I watched were Sailor Moon and Rayearth.  These are shows I'm definitely not watch for art's sake, they're just goofy things from my childhood I want to revisit.  And I still really LIKE them, but I wouldn't say that they are GOOD.  Unless I'm forgetting something, Rose of Versailles is the only actual NEW anime I've watched in a long time (not counting stuff like Ponyo that's pretty mainstream).
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Worthless Protoplasm
yeah i might watch a miyazaki film sometime but they got reviewed in like TV Guide even a million years ago before F.Y.E. and crap like that amine got mainstream

'things don't get bad they just become mainstream' - my brother

Ponyo's name is an onomatopoeia, based on Miyazaki's idea of what a "soft, squishy softness" sounds like when touched.

I could see where Sailor Moon would feel AUTHENTIC or something while not actually being good. Maybe that's not the word but I got nostalgic for Linkin Park of all things the other day because at least they seemed authentic or something (again maybe that's not the word?? maybe they BELIEVED in themselves) or just enough people took them seriously at the time they actually were part of growing up more than (looks up totally awesome avant-garde musics on youtube) I wish I knew somebody like SQUAREPUSHER when they were brand-new and not just via an internet flash movie 20 years later
Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:52:56 pm by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

I think the nice thing about Sailor Moon is that it meshed so well with the rest of the stuff going on around the same time.  It was intended to be a girl-version of Power Rangers, which was also big in the US at the same time as Sailor Moon, and was also one of my favorite shows.  So it never felt like I AM WATCHING AN AMINES, it was I AM WATCHING CARTOONS AW YEAH PEW PEW PEW BEAT THAT BAD GUY.  I mean Sailor Moon wasn't really any different than regular american super heroes.  So I guess it never had that feeling of OTHER.  Even the art style, that didn't feel weird because I grew up with tons of other Korean-animated cartoons that were otherwise Canadian made (INSPECTOR GADGET ANYONE?)  So it just felt like a normal natural cartoon it never felt like some special thing that went under "anime".  It was just cartoons and it was rad.
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Worthless Protoplasm
I was actually going to say the older animes from when we were kids probably did feel a little 'off' was an interesting change of pace from the American 'western' style. I was thinking it was sort of refreshing because everything else was sort of a product of western pop culture at the time but with anime we got all this random shit from another country from different time periods too (weren't the original Dragon Ball episodes from the 70's or something??) but yeah now it's not unique at all and the separate category 'Anime' does put me off. Like I was saying places like FYE have it in this different section it kind of welcomes ridicule because it has to be this separate group of cartoons/can't call it cartoons. It's like having to call it a decaf mocha-cappucino instead of COFFEE

wasn't G.I. JOE or some other quissential american cartoon animated in Japan or Korea
Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:00:59 pm by Ragnar

• Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Hey ragnar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayon_Shin-chan

Different. I've only seen like one episode though so I don't really know if it's any good.
  • Fuckin' A.
wasn't G.I. JOE or some other quissential american cartoon animated in Japan or Korea
transformers, toei animated it
  • PEW PEW PEW
Hey ragnar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayon_Shin-chan

Different. I've only seen like one episode though so I don't really know if it's any good.
I haven't seen that, but speaking of stuff done in a more cartoony style I remember back when I saw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbors_the_Yamadas I thought it was really good.
  • kaworu*Sigh*Isnt he the cutest person ever
most of the sunbow cartoons in the 80's were animated in east asia, gi joe, transformers, visionaries and co. Like it wasn't just Toei, it was various companies from various countries (and some saddos on the transformers wiki can work out which depending on the quality/amount of errors, keeps the aspies busy I guess!)

I started watching bad anime lately, the bright hair colours and constant noise are kinda nice to wake you up, kinda like childrens television. And since about 90% of them are just recycles of ROTTK stories just SET IN HIGH SCHOOL or some shit, you don't really have to put much thought into the stories/characters.

Also Haruhi is kinda nice to relax to.
Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:12:11 pm by Kaworu
  • salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
ugh haruhi is the most infuriating thing ever. I want to punch every single one of the characters in that fucking show.
i started watching haruhi once.  i started with that non-really-an-episode episode where they make their own low budget movie and it made me laugh my ass off.  then i watched the next few episodes and i realized the whole show wasn't like that episode and i quit because it was boring the fuck out of me.

haruhi would have ruled if every episode was them making a movie.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I wish 3x3 Eyes was fully animated like the OVA it was so bad ass. It was begging for an anime series in fact we would of had one if it wasn't for the fucking censorship laws changing in Japan.

From wiki:
Various games came out based on the 3x3 Eyes manga on the Japanese Super Famicom, Satellaview (BS 3ji no Wide Syou), Saturn, PC Engine (3×3 Eyes ~Sanjiyan Henjyo~), FM Towns, PC 98, PC, Sega CD, PlayStation, and the Game Boy. They featured new characters, music and artwork. Volume 40 of the manga, the last volume, has been published in two versions, one of which includes a PC game.

A TV series was being considered at around the time the manga ended in 2002. However, due to the then-recent Japanese censorship laws, it wasn't made.
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• Worthless Protoplasm
FM Towns is the most retarded name for a gaming system ever

• PEW PEW PEW
haruhi was hard to watch even back when I watched anime

I do wonder tho if haruhi really started this moe era anime seems to be in now or if it's just the magnum opus of moe.
haruhi was hard to watch even back when I watched anime

I do wonder tho if haruhi really started this moe era anime seems to be in now or if it's just the magnum opus of moe.

i think it's the latter, i don't think it started it but i think it's the best example of it (and how awful it is)
BRRING! BRRING!
  • salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
i started watching haruhi once.  i started with that non-really-an-episode episode where they make their own low budget movie and it made me laugh my ass off.  then i watched the next few episodes and i realized the whole show wasn't like that episode and i quit because it was boring the fuck out of me.

haruhi would have ruled if every episode was them making a movie.

yeah that is how i saw it too.  I think its because that is the first episode that is labeled in the most seeded torrent of it that I could find at the time, and apparently there has been lots of funny business with how the whole series was labeled in air-dates and the order that went onto the released DVD set or whatever, but basically what happened resulted in like fucked up ordering of all the torrents and this epsiode got put first in a lot of them or something.  It was also the only episode that really didn't completely suck.  I really don't know why I ended up letting myself watch the rest of the series after seeing how disastorously painful the first few episodes after that were, but I can at least say that I have endured the punishment enough to know that it was a terrible series.
surely lucky star is moe's magnum opus?
I think I watched about 7 episodes of Haruhi, but I have no clue how that whole out-of-order business was reflected in how I watched it.  It didn't really make any sense so I'm guessing I was watching it "the way it's supposed to be watched" or w/e.  That's when I realized they were no longer going to be making movies and I couldn't give a shit about the alien or whatever business was going on.

Unrelated to Haruhi, can someone recommend me some sci-fi animes that are actually like TRADITIONAL SCI-FI and not about dang robots?  Nothing obvious like Cowboy Bebop either.  Ideally stuff from like the 70s or 80s really, just sci-fi in space and whatnot.  I really liked Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair if that helps (these are both by the same guy but surely he's not the only one that made animes like this that weren't about giant fuckin mechs I couldn't give a shit about mechs).
BRRING! BRRING!
I like it, It's not all dumb magical princess shit and is just like a bunch of guys goofing around, and the magical alienness of it never becomes THE MAIN POINT apart from about two episodes. It's just nice to relax with. I mean an episode about picking up a heater from a store is quite a nice break from typical anime.
meh the second series had 8 episodes in a row with virtually the exact same thing happening just with like different clothes or slightly different dialogue until the eigth one as Haruhi had created a time loop, which could only be broken by Kyon wanting to do homework. quite boring, but pretty relaxing.
It's one of the few series that I can stomach.
  • Ò_Ó
You people, you cunts, clearly didn't GET haruhi