Topic: Last movie you watched? (Read 104064 times)

• Group: Member
last movie I watched was The Green Hornet (2011) and man it was horrible!! I was expecting something along the lines of Kick-ass which was pretty great, but the green Hornet had like nothing going for it. the main character was a TOTAL DICK and not in the cool kind of way like RDJ in Iron Man but in the kind of way where you just had to wonder if seth rogen is actually retarded.
  • professional disappointment
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I haven't seen The King's Speech and I probably won't because I can't shake the feeling that it's first and foremost an OSCAR BAIT film and that bothers me.  I'm sure it's a very well made movie (sure!  Why wouldn't it be?) but it's also very obvious that it was made in the Oscar Materials Factory for the very specific purpose of winning some clown(s) an oscar.  Boo.  I can't get on board with a movie like that.  I think it's very telling that I didn't see it yet I KNEW that it would win all of the major awards (specifically Best Picture/Actor).  Maybe in five - ten years when it's further removed from the oscars I will be more capable of enjoying it, but in five or ten years I won't care about it and neither will anybody else.

Just want to remind everybody, especially those of you who aren't aware of this, that the oscars don't celebrate art.   
watched it yesterday, and you hit the nail on the head. not to say it's a bad movie, as it's rather good for what it is, but these sorts of movies definitely go this very boring IMPORTANT DOCUMENTARY route as far as the aesthetic goes, where the only goal of the filmmakers are to make the sets and actors look as important as possible. i'm not jaded enough that i can't stomach that at all, but it's definitely one of those movies that would have been virtually identical had it been presented on stage with the same cast, which is something that really bothers me when i see it, as it really suggests that there was no fundamental reason for making the film in the first place. nothing is really gained by presenting this on film rather than stage, outside of money and oscars.

still, not a bad movie. firth and rush are rather good in it, and the cast showed up to the set and made an effort to be at least mildly interesting. i think the screenplay had a phenomenal chance to fail completely, but did pretty well with what may have been pretty tricky subject matter. rush's character could very easily have been a complete disaster, and would have been in the hands of lesser or incompatible actors, but he's probably one of the best there is right now, and the performance turned out a lot more interesting than it probably should have been. actually i will go as far as saying that your enjoyment of this movie is directly proportionate to how much you enjoy seeing geoffrey rush act in some vaguely meaningful way. i think he's a pretty great actor, and there's a fair amount of stuff for him to do in this movie, so i managed to enjoy it, but that was pretty much the maximum potential of the movie for me. the strongest emotion i otherwise felt during the movie was thanks to a particularly nasty piece of pizza i shouldn't have eaten earlier in the day, which is never an encouraging thing to say about a movie.

probably the most valuable thing about the movie is that you can tell how gullible people are by how much they rave about it, or at least get a feel for how unaware they are of legitimately good film. an opportunity for good actors to do some good acting on film does not automatically equal quality film, a fact that appears beyond the comprehension of most people. it's insanely depressing that this is legitimately all you need to win academy awards and worlds of acclaim. you get the feeling that 99.9% of the world doesn't really understand film, like we're still getting over the thrill of OOOOOH MOVING PICTURES!!!! SOUND!!! THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN WORKING IN THE FILING ROOM ALL DAY!!!
  • I wander alone
  • Pip
I haven't seen The King's Speech and I probably won't because I can't shake the feeling that it's first and foremost an OSCAR BAIT film and that bothers me.  I'm sure it's a very well made movie (sure!  Why wouldn't it be?) but it's also very obvious that it was made in the Oscar Materials Factory for the very specific purpose of winning some clown(s) an oscar.  Boo.  I can't get on board with a movie like that.  I think it's very telling that I didn't see it yet I KNEW that it would win all of the major awards (specifically Best Picture/Actor).  Maybe in five - ten years when it's further removed from the oscars I will be more capable of enjoying it, but in five or ten years I won't care about it and neither will anybody else.
Just want to remind everybody, especially those of you who aren't aware of this, that the oscars don't celebrate art.   
this is exactly the reason why I haven't bothered to check it out yet. but then again i feel the same way for most oscar nominated movies.
this is exactly the reason why I haven't bothered to check it out yet. but then again i feel the same way for most oscar nominated movies.
i think it's quite a bit better than most of those awful movies that inexplicably take home lots of oscars for no fucking reason, but yeah, don't go out of your way for it. better stuff out there to watch.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Watched the available episodes of Mortal Kombat Legacy : http://www.youtube.com/show/mortalkombatlegacy
Sucks, but I loved it!!!!!!!!!!
  • VILLAIN
  • Group: Administrator
Oh man I remember when I watched Gladiator (which received about a billion oscars). What a genuinely horrible movie. That's when I realized oscars pretty much mean nothing. Not that there aren't good oscar-winning movies; it's just that there's not necessarily a correlation.
  • Ultimaweapon9
  • PipPipPip
Last movie I saw at the theaters was Scream 4, and I loved it.  Honestly it's nothing too special but the original is a favorite of mine and the nostalgia of seeing all the characters again is really nice.  Outside of that it has a nice mystery and it's a lot of fun.

The last movie I've seen was the 80s remake of The Fly.  I liked it a lot, haven't seen much by Cronenburg except Videodrome, eXistenZ, and now this.  It's easily the best of the three, and it builds tension very well.  Pretty much a downer, though.
watched david lynch's twin peaks movie Fire Walk with Me even though i have only seen the pilot episode of the show and only have a peripheral understanding of how the show worked(see: i skimmed some article some dude wrote comparing the similarities between deadly premonition and twin peaks)

kinda dumb movie, even by david lynch standards, but i guess it's kinda vaguely worth seeing since david lynch is obviously not a citizen of this planet and/or has some sort of serious undiagnosed brain tumor. i guess i enjoyed it despite how broken of a movie it was, but it wasn't a particularly rewarding experience. it was overwhelmingly clear that they were anticipating the movie to be SMASH HIT and allow them to make sequels to it, which probably would have worked since some of the minor storylines going through the movie were a lot more interesting.

in summation, gordon cole is the best character in film history and i could easily spend five hours watching him scream at people
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I just finished Twin Peaks like a week ago, I might check that out just because.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Gameboy Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
don't expect the movie to really be anything like the show, though.  that's part of the reason why it did so poorly when it came out, I think; while most people who followed the show certainly knew who David Lynch was, they probably weren't entirely aware of how insane his movies are and were not expecting Fire Walk With Me to be anything like it was.  so you shouldn't really go into the movie expecting a relatively straightforward but off-kilter movie like the show is because it's waaaaaay out there.  possibly one of the more "out there" Lynch films but that's a difficult argument to make.

having said that no matter how you go into the movie it's still kind of a failure, and your enjoyment of it will depend on whether you define yourself as a fan of Twin Peaks or a fan of David Lynch.  The former will likely hate it, the latter will probably at least find some merit in it and enjoy it to a certain extent.  Also the soundtrack is probably my favorite of all of Lynch's films.  Also I think the creamed corn is supposed to be people's souls?  Or something.
I'm not too familiar with David Lynch in general but I guess just going from what I've heard of his stuff it sounds like stuff I'd like so I feel like I could probably get something out of it at least.  I'm not expecting too much from it but it'd be nice to have somethin halfway decent to watch.
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Ultimaweapon9
  • PipPipPip
watched david lynch's twin peaks movie Fire Walk with Me even though i have only seen the pilot episode of the show and only have a peripheral understanding of how the show worked(see: i skimmed some article some dude wrote comparing the similarities between deadly premonition and twin peaks)

kinda dumb movie, even by david lynch standards, but i guess it's kinda vaguely worth seeing since david lynch is obviously not a citizen of this planet and/or has some sort of serious undiagnosed brain tumor. i guess i enjoyed it despite how broken of a movie it was, but it wasn't a particularly rewarding experience. it was overwhelmingly clear that they were anticipating the movie to be SMASH HIT and allow them to make sequels to it, which probably would have worked since some of the minor storylines going through the movie were a lot more interesting.

in summation, gordon cole is the best character in film history and i could easily spend five hours watching him scream at people

Thanks for this, now I can mentally prepare myself.  I just watched the pilot and liked it so I was gonna go ahead and watch the series and then the movie.  Maybe I can see it with an open mind knowing that it's going to be super-Lynchian.
  • GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
The series is alright but the second season is just out there and the most frustrating thing is that it just ends without any closure. Kind of frustrating actually because it just seems to hit its "peak" (pardon the pun) in terms of Lynchonian wackiness.
  • Gameboy Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Which is funny because that was when Lynch was least involved with the show.
Adeline more or less told me to not watch the show after they solved the Laura Palmer case, so that's when i stopped.  I feel like I made the right choice.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yeah i decided to stop at the episode when it's obvious the story is over, too. when people say season 2 sucks, they mean everything after that. up until then it's pretty much as good as the first series, and at a few point it is better.
yeah i decided to stop at the episode when it's obvious the story is over, too. when people say season 2 sucks, they mean everything after that. up until then it's pretty much as good as the first series, and at a few point it is better.

Yeah what I saw of it was definitely consistently good.  I was going to watch the other eps out of curiosity but Adeline said "no don't do it i wish i hadn't it ruined things for me"
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Scanner
Cars and the 2010 Alice and Wonderland.

AiW was bleh.

Cars was good, but it kind of weirded me out on various parts. Many of them part of humanizing the cars.
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

i saw it when it first came out and it was this cool movie or w/e but i downloaded netflix'd it again more recently when i decided (after watching Adaptation and Synechdoche, NY) that charlie kaufman is an amazing screenwriter who i really relate to and i want to see everything he's done.
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Tokyo Story.

Fuck these judgmental old assholes! I don't like the kids either. This whole crew is bogus if you ask me.

edit:

Turned out good. I liked it. I liked the movie.