Topic: The Screenshot Topic (Read 106133 times)

• "Nuke It!"
  • PipPip
  • Group: Member
Yeah well, since this is a desert/wasteland I'll put in some dunes or something. But I try to keep the design simple, with solid block coloring and stuff.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
@Twin Matrix: Those are really nice shots. I especially like the tree in the second screenshot. That roof looks a little odd though (the thatched one). The shape doesn't make too much sense: it should be a two-sided slanting roof or flat, or something, not a little... step or whatever. It's weird.

@Foliage: How can you have a small iota of something? A bit redundant, no?
The Misadventures of Crimebot
@Foliage: How can you have a small iota of something? A bit redundant, no?

It is. Thankfully spoken speech discards all rules of grammar and just goes with what sounds cool.
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • Wanted: Dead or Alive
  • Pip
@Foliage: White text on a white background is never a good idea.  Maybe if the text had a full outline rather than just a drop shadow, but as of right now I would never pick up your game out of respect to my eyes.
Tip your servers 15%, please.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It is. Thankfully spoken speech discards all rules of grammar and just goes with what sounds cool.

I see what you did there.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
I need opinions about doors.

Which looks better?

I'm leaning towards the 2-tile one because that's what I've been using so far (and it's the quickest one to do ^.^;) but I think the others look better. Maybe.

This is what it looks like on the outside.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
@Lib: Wouldn't it make the most sense to make the inside-view match up with the outside view? It seems like the last one is the best match, in that case. I might add those borders around some of the outside doors, just to spruce it up: maybe the nicer houses or something? I would probably put a deeper border around the regular-stone frames (without the wood, if you went that direction), like a dark, one pixel line to show depth. I'd only put it on the right side, probably, because you don't want a dark line next to the darker line in the wood floor.

The two-tile doors look nice, but they'd be like... 12 foot doors. So yeah, my preference is the bottom right!
  • Sadistic Magician
thanks for the comments everyone, Ive touched up the map since then and I think it came out pretty good.

Now Ive been working on some of my pixel art for the intro ( i editied the background from something a long time ago i don't even remember the original resource)

forgot a comma  , , , , , oh well

and yes the cape blows awesomely in the wind
Wow Dookie, that looks too damn amazing. With all the custom stuff floating around I also decided to try out some stuff. It may not be that great, but it's my first work and in the end I was quite satisfied with it.

Edit @Liberty, yeah the bottom left door looks the best.
Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:03:21 pm by Simtor
  • Fuckin' A.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Liberty, either of the bottom two would look great, though I personally prefer the bottom left. (don't want that doorway collapsing)
  • "...an egotistic tosser!"
  • Pip
Which looks better?

Bottom-left; hands-down! The size is consistent with the out"doors"', and the frame goes nicely with the beams on either side of the corridor.

I'm pretty psyched for RealmS, Liberty! Here's hoping you'll have it out by the end of the month.

Now Ive been working on some of my pixel art for the intro ( i editied the background from something a long time ago i don't even remember the original resource)

and yes the cape blows awesomely in the wind

Not too stark, not too bland: I like it :)​.

And I loves me gimmicks!

I'm rather intrigued. The style strikes me as a cross between Daniel's (Crossbone) and Staind's (Bug Battle, Super Power Turbo Man).
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
@ Dookie - I really like how that screen looks! One minor thing would be that the perspective on the sword and the hands looks a little iffy. Then again, I've been crunching numbers all morning so it could just be my eyes.

I was going to try to make my own chips for this game, but they came out too bright (and hideous), so I went with some Theo stuff. Do the sprites clash with it? (Also, the electric blond hair has been changed).

Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • AlchemyX
Hey, Killer Wolf, I like the way this looks, its oddly reminiscent of "Streets of Rage". What style of game is this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from my DEVLOG (CLICK  AND REPLY >HERE< PLEASE) thread:

Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:58:37 pm by Aeltrius
In a world gone mad...
  • "Nuke It!"
  • PipPip
Aeltrius, that window shouldn't keep jiggling like that, it should stop after a few seconds so it's not hard to read the longer stuff you put there.
  • Super Saiyan Sam
  • PipPipPip
Killer Wolf: Looks really good. Try less saturated sprites.
  • Uggablaggableaggh!
  • PipPipPipPip
Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:29:48 pm by MISTER BIG T

And that's when I decided to become a barber.

@drbigt

"*sniff* your work, just inspires me to become a better lover." - Brent Murray.
  • AlchemyX
Looks cute, T. I think you should move the bottom part of the angel's body closer into the main character set, cause at a glance it looks like the angel is kinda following the guy, not on his back.

--------------------------------------------------

Mini Update (CLICK >HERE< FOR THE DEVLOG)
Had a couple really good comments about my last post's video. I decided to try my hand at writing a sine-wave drawing function to replace the "stretchy" effect that I previously had over the text. I also changed the menu-in/out animation to a fade in/out using alpha's. Tell me what you think:
Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:43:53 pm by Aeltrius
In a world gone mad...
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
Thanks guys. Bottom-left seems to be the favourite so bottom left it is.  ^.^ RealmS will have a demo release on the 20th of March in time for Release Something Day VI. I'll post a topic here too, so keep an eye out for it. ^.^

@Killer Wolf: Maybe try a bit more 'washed out' colours for the skin tones. They're what really stands out. Still, looks pretty good.

• Is this the face of a guy you can trust !?
  • PipPipPipPip
He's quoting some of my old screens from earlier in the topic.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.
Sprites and Stuff
  • Uggablaggableaggh!
  • PipPipPipPip
Looks cute, T. I think you should move the bottom part of the angel's body closer into the main character set, cause at a glance it looks like the angel is kinda following the guy, not on his back.

Looks better in game actually, when it's in full screen size.  :)

And that's when I decided to become a barber.

@drbigt

"*sniff* your work, just inspires me to become a better lover." - Brent Murray.