Topic: The Screenshot Topic (Read 106133 times)

• Official zombie killer
  • Group: Member
http://eldblol.blogspot.com
  • I don't have to pay for this?
lol this guy is a furry probably
I find this post highly ignorant and inflammatory, not to mention unwarranted. What's wrong with using non-human characters in a fantasy setting, especially one paying tribute to a series full of various races?

I know that in a topic like this, screenshots should be as lush and colorful as possible to draw any attention. But even with the style I've chosen, I've ripped and created a lot of graphics for enemies and the battle system.
At least tell me wether this mostly-Final Fantasy chipset is horribly overused like the Dragon Quest one was a while ago.
  • ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Sano I think if you are planning to keep going with that style then you need to move the hell off RM2K3. Getting everything to blend well enough on that engine is going to be nothing but a pain.
  • DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I find this post highly ignorant and inflammatory, not to mention unwarranted. What's wrong with using non-human characters in a fantasy setting, especially one paying tribute to a series full of various races?

I know that in a topic like this, screenshots should be as lush and colorful as possible to draw any attention. But even with the style I've chosen, I've ripped and created a lot of graphics for enemies and the battle system.
At least tell me wether this mostly-Final Fantasy chipset is horribly overused like the Dragon Quest one was a while ago.
you probably shouldn't even pay attention to ragnar's posts. he's one of the few furries here (or only one? and everyone hates him) and he's always trying to find someone he can talk about furries to because admins started deleting all his furry related posts because they were pissing off a lot of people. the sad thing is that he's trying to be roundabout about it and pretending he's not like that anymore. drule and ase are too lenient with some members here just because they have been registered for a long time. :/
Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:50:46 pm by Ghost_Dad
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • Rurouni
  • PipPipPipPip
Sano I think if you are planning to keep going with that style then you need to move the hell off RM2K3. Getting everything to blend well enough on that engine is going to be nothing but a pain.

True, there is some color loss. But really it works quite well. I think the biggest draw back is the resolution. But I tried gamemaker and honestly I dont have the time to learn a language. Got so much to do  :hmm:

~Click~
  • DragonSlayer o_O
I'd assume the biggest drawback is the movement of your character... at the very least you can do so much better with other engines.
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • Master of Puppets
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Don't let Ragnar get you down, it looks pretty cool.
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • Khezus are monstrous Hikkikomoris X_X
It just reminds me of the early DOS clicky adventure games, special mention like Beneath the Sky, and I Have No Mouth and I must Scream.

Love Is Blind
Khezu x Gigginox
  • Is this the face of a guy you can trust !?
  • PipPipPipPip
@Ness
The color (and the overall feel) of the map really reminds me of DE. Looks really great imo.
Sprites and Stuff
  • Pip
Nessiah:

Wow. That's pretty much all there is to say. How long did that take you? Oh, if that character in front of the door is a stationary NPC, his hair color seems to blend into the door.
WombatRPGs
  • So-Called Manga Artist
I think it took about 3 days (K-hos did all the hardest work for me) and the character in front is the same person as the one jumping down the stairs, lying down, the one with bandaid and peeking through the door, I'll make sure I'll put an outline around the character XD

@Blue did it have that adventure game vibe? Because that was my aim o_o

• Khezus are monstrous Hikkikomoris X_X
Looks like it. I wonder how would the user interface look like then...

Love Is Blind
Khezu x Gigginox
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Lo-Debar: to be honest it looks ok I just didn't see the resemblance to Breath of Fire other than ANIMAL PEOPLE (and heros name is ryu) and thought I'd be inflammatory. I think you should just make an original game unless it's a tribute to pirate remakes of RPGs for the NES (like FINAL FANTASY X on the nes) then please do that idea because I've really been wanting to see that. I will contribute harsh out of tune NES versions of Breath of Fire tracks if you do this

Edit: got me interested in hearing Breath of Fire music again the original game's soundtrack is really fucking weird. I mean I can hear what they were going for but the way it comes together is just wrong. Like the world map theme is some weird warped version of an epic theme it's like if there is a movie out there that is Don Quixote except Don Quixote is this weird hobo that's imagining the whole adventure and it cuts back and forth between fantasy and reality and he's this weird-looking dude and peed himself and his sword is actually a mop etc. doesn't this movie exist well Breath of Fire world map would be the perfect theme for the movie

Edit: It's like the missing link between Street Fighter/Mega Man/Resident Evil music
Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:10:56 pm by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• We want...More money!

Okay so this is the game I've been working on for RM2k3 for about 3 months. It is very much still in the making, and not everything you see is final. I'm uploading a Youtube video as we speak but the quality is poor so I added these too.

My reason for this is that I would love some constructive criticism. I want to know what you think and what could be improved. I think I will make it so that the players name is red when dead but other than that I would like to hear what the people who will be playing it think.

If all goes well then im hoping to release this this year. But who knows?
I will add the YT vid later.

=Edit=

The timer does work and the : symbol flashes. Also there is a flash cursor on the Items/Key Items pic.  Its just that the screen caps didn't get them while they where flashing
Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:48:09 pm by Paul3K
  • "I am the reinforcements."
Wow, that looks really slick! Seems like a cool mix of FFVII (the look of the menus) and FFIX with the abilities tied to equipment. Post the YouTube link once it's up! I'm glad you got your images up, because they look great :D

Before criticism, I have a question: Does Rage act like Limit in FFVII or is it more like ATB? I notice there is no ATB bar, so I wasn't sure what dictated turn order.

As far as criticism goes, you could probably drop the word "Name:" before each of their names. Also, I'd take the "." out from "L.v:". Other than that, it looks great!
Working... slowly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZJZeN8xls4
  • Pip
Non-RTP might get it looking a little better but a cohesive graphical style is more important than having original work. Also, I like the name "danger forest" for some reason.
WombatRPGs
  • We want...More money!
Links up!  No CBS action I'm afraid as I was using fraps.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDc7NMqUVo

Thanks guys. And taking the "name" out of each box is defiantly what I'll do. Same with the L.v. I thought about that myself today to be honest.
Oh and when you've seen the video, you'll realize that I need to do more work on the footsteps sound effects.

Also, you hit the nail on the head with what you said about the mix between FFVII and FFIX. I like those systems. You can also learn skills through levelling up.
I am also planning on adding a bit of FFX to it. This will be in the battle system. Instead of an ATB I'm using the Turn Based System. It will display around 4 positions instead of the way FFX does it (because scrolling windows take too long). You will also be able to switch battlers in battle.
The answer to your rage bar question is that yes they are like limit breaks. I haven't made any yet, but it works for when you take damage.

As for the RTP style, I decided to go with this seeing as though they are the most fitting characters to the RPG Maker. I have never ever like the default menu and battle system on RM2k and 3. So I feel this is like a tribute to RPG Maker, as if to say....."look at how I've complimented you " xD

• Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Paul3k: Yeah this actually looks pretty good, like the other guy said it looks pretty cohesive and treats the menu as a tool to navigate through the game instead of like hey look I have a menu. It's also anime but not AGGRESSIVELY anime. Like in the old days I didn't even notice there were anime elements in the style of a bunch of rpgs and only really thought about it when playing them over again in emulation. I hope that GO cursor is only a placeholder though, it doesn't fit at all and if that was the final design it'd be a shame because that would be a good place to personalize the graphics. Like that and some custom spell effects I think would make the RTP not even very noticeable. I assume that 60 in the corner is a debugging thing too

Edit: Why do all rpg maker games start in forests
Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:58:58 pm by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• We want...More money!
Thanks Ragnar. The Go picture was supposed to be part of the "Turn" window that will be placed in the top right. But I took it all out as it needed editing and forgot to remove the picture. But to be honest I think I might just take it out indefinably. The yellow cursor will stay though.

Oh yea and the 60 is because I still had Fraps open and it does that for some reason when you print screen.