Fight They Might Be Giants (Read 949 times)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I really love They Might Be Giants but I own none of their music and I don't want to buy stuff off iTunes because I have this thing about needing hard copies of all my music.

Anyway, I have a couple songs I really love, Particle Man, Istanbul, Dr. Worm, and some others that I think must be hits or something, but I cannot for the life of me find a greatest hits album or a collection or something.

I have considered starting to build a collection of their music but they have so many releases it is really mind boggling! There are maybe 2-3 songs tops I have heard on any given one of their releases, and usually I can't justify buying a cd over that much unless it is some popstar of the week thing that I probably won't ever think of again.

So I'm wondering if anyone else here likes them, and which cds/vinyls are good buys.
I absolutely hate live records though so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
  • Insane teacher
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
ghost of idiot kid but honestly? youve got the three songs anyone will ever bring up.

they're just kind of a solid band that have a weird rabid fanbase really.

buuuut you're also lazy as fuck jesus christ and this topic is like wandering into videogames and saying DOSE ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT KILLZONE??? WHAT PLATFORM IS IT ON.

by which i mean if you had used wikipedia even once you would notice TMBG has released eight compilation albums:

Don't Let's Start  · Miscellaneous T  · Then: The Earlier Years  · Best of the Early Years  · They Got Lost  · Dial-A-Song: 20 Years of They Might Be Giants  · A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants  · Venue Songs DVD/CD

JUST A THOUGHT man and if this was anyone else I'd think you were asking WHICH compilation best defined them but you are Eric and admitted to listening to basically three songs so just get one of those and next time don't lie about having looked for a greatest hits collection from a band that actually released THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_User's_Guide_to_They_Might_Be_Giants

WITH A NOTE: "It is a very interesting introduction to the band. If you were looking for a single disc to lay on the uninitiated, this might be the one."

jesus man.
brian chemicals
  • Insane teacher
i'm a huge music sperger but really man you just straight up lied in the OP for a band that actually has a release called A USER'S GUIDE TO THE BAND YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, fucking hell is that.

the killzone example isn't even that bad it is like you said I GOOGLED KILLZONE AND ALL I GOT WAS ITS FOR PS3? WHAT CONSOLE IS IT FOR?
brian chemicals
  • I r TEH DrAgOn RaR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
the killzone example isn't even that bad it is like you said I GOOGLED KILLZONE AND ALL I GOT WAS ITS FOR PS3? WHAT CONSOLE IS IT FOR?

killzone is for ps2 steel, >: (
  • Insane teacher
i dont even know what a ps2 or killzone is i was just putting words together.
brian chemicals
  • even more eviler than Skeletor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I enjoyed Subliminal and See the Constellation.  Also, there's the Malcolm in the Middle theme song.

I own one of their albums (I picked it up in Calgary for $8 from a record store specializing in 2nd hand stuff).  Looked it up in Wikipedia and I have their first album (self-titled): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Might_Be_Giants_(album)

..:: Full game is released.  Download it now! ::..
  • Chapter Four: The Imagination And Where It Leads
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
if u like TMBG check this out i think youd like it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwChXz9KoU
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
what im trying to say is You're a Child.
  • DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
np paramore
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
also
which cds/vinyls are good buys
Thanks!
why would you ever by a they might be giants release on vinyl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Ah shit you're right steel, for some reason wiki never even crossed my mind.

I went through the artist pages on google and didn't open the "guide to TMBG" because a lot of their cd's are called like "learn ABCs" and shit and I figured it was a gimmick title. I looked through their "best of the early years" and it wasn't what I wanted.
Yea I didn't look very hard, but also I wanted opinion. Sorry to make you so angry!

ps. dom, nobody cares what you think, ever.
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I don't get what your guys problem is with Paramore. They are a great band. I guess you guys just aren't into post-rock like me and dom are...

edit: also dom, don't listen to mongoloid. I care about you a whole damn lot.
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
a lot of their cd's are called like "learn ABCs" and shit and I figured it was a gimmick title.
thats because they might be giants are a gimmick band.
  • Insane teacher
yeah uh while dom is making some annoying one liners did you not run into the fact TMBG has a lot of releases for kids?

they definitely had a shtick for it for a long time aaaand are kind of regarded as a gimmick band by a lot of people.

idiot kid used to just love them more than anything and panda and i had to whisper to each other "whats up with this man i dont even know???" because we never got his love.
brian chemicals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
everything i say is true u just dont like how i say it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yeah uh while dom is making some annoying one liners did you not run into the fact TMBG has a lot of releases for kids?

they definitely had a shtick for it for a long time aaaand are kind of regarded as a gimmick band by a lot of people.

idiot kid used to just love them more than anything and panda and i had to whisper to each other "whats up with this man i dont even know???" because we never got his love.
its funny because they never really intended to be that kind of band, just writing goofy songs, but now they've completely resigned themselves to their fate evidenced by teh abcs album

• Lichens!
I had a copy of Flood growing up as a kid and that was like one the coolest albums ever and its pretty fantastic still although mostly just for nostalgia reasons than for any actual sort of musicianship (I mean, they still are for the most part a novelty band, although they did seem to have a few good ideas back in the day at least)
  • Insane teacher
yeah i'm still a baby and partial to BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL but i'm not going to deny it triggers the same urge that resides with CHILDREN SHIT because it is a completely lighthearted song of no offense and thus kind of long lasting interest to anyone.

one song of theirs I wish they had more like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJCQ_BUksM

i know AUTOTUNE or whatever (this might be voice box actually it's kind of older I think) but I loved the music vid and the lyrics are just nonsensical enough to be cute so when i heard it i immediately IMed idiot kid in the hopes they had done more shit like it and nope not even one.

but i still could listen to this.

no shit though IDIOT KID man i hope panda wanders into this topic because he will confirm. at one point i was so crazy about marillion's marbles i considered a tattoo.

it would not surprise me if idiot kid just straight up had three tattoos done before he was even 18. the dude LOVED this band and I just could never get why because we clicked on so many other levels that panda didn't get including marillion so you'd think this one as well but no one i knew who knew him came close to his level of devotion for any band I've ever seen. he had EVERYTHING they did and their side projects and knew everything about them.
Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:08:17 pm by Artis Leon Ivey Jr
brian chemicals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Haha that song is awesome.

I really love their lyrics, they're genius. I think "I'll leave the front un-locked 'cause I can't Hear the doorbell," from Dr. Worm, is one of my favorite lines ever.

Thanks for the suggestions btw Kentona, I got their hits album and their self titled album today and the self titled one is much better.
  • Insane teacher
oh i forgot to mention one thing while being a dick; their albums vary. a lot. fuck idiot kid some of that shit is TERRIBLE straight up boring shit that wouldn't fly on the children's albums where as most of it is just lighthearted but yeah some of it is just garbage and i usually dont say LOOK FOR REVIEWS but man youtube some of the songs beforehand because ugh.
brian chemicals