Topic: Porcupine Tree - The Incident (Read 4571 times)

• DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
heh didnt make topic for fear of a blank planet but... i think gw might be ready for another pt topic. :fogetnaughty:

PORCUPINE TREE - THE INCIDENT

DISC 1:
1. Occam's Razor 1:55
2. The Blind House 5:47
3. Great Expectations 1:26
4. Kneel and Disconnect 2:03
5. Drawing the Line 4:43
6. The Incident 5:20
7. Your Unpleasant Family 1:48
8. The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00
9. Time Flies 11:40
10. Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45
11. Octane Twisted 5:03
12. The Séance 2:39
13. Circle of Manias 2:18
14. I Drive the Hearse 6:41

DISC 2: (not sure about order, no info on track lengths)
1. Flicker
2. Bonnie The Cat
3. Black Dahlia
4. Remember Me Lover

The Incident
06-12-2009

Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as “a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again’.”

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.

Video footage of the band in the studio working on The Incident, as well as audio previews, will be available online soon. The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards.

First studio footage: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/video/view.aspx?songID=2503

Anyway, I'm really excited for this but if that surprises anyone, you haven't been on GW for long enough. And another surprise, seems like it's gonna be another pretty dark concept and sounds like it might their darkest album yet, and definitely the most experimental. The whole structure of the album is new to PT as well so that's cool, and of course I'm really glad that it's going to be a double album as it was rumoured. That noisy bit with Richard sounds so fucking cool and the piano is pretty reminiscent of Insurgentes which is fine by me as I loved it. Seems like it's gonna be a mixed bag of lots of different things and it definitely doesn't sound like it's going to be very similar to FOABP which is a good thing, even though it's my favorite PT album. I especially like the sound of The Incident (the track) as Sleep Together is one of my favorite songs and I was hoping PT would do more shit like that, and heavy electronica funk sounds good to me.

but yeah............. hopefully they'll post audio clips on myspace soon.
Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:59:09 am by DragonSlayer
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • I fear and I tremble
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
imo insurgentes sucked and fear of a blank planet was ok

Pt is getting progressively pretentious as shit and shitting on the main audience they've got. Internet nerds that steal their music. I hope this album is worth a shit but I've got the feeling that its not going to be and they've run their course.

I know I sound like a dick but really they've tapered off imo and are doing nothing new and exciting

[a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again’.”

yeah, I might be a lil' drunk but what does this sound like other than pretentious and vague as fuck?
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • DragonSlayer o_O
i might understand your argument if there was a time pt wasn't pretentious and vague as fuck but dude, it has never been the case. pt's music has always been like that, and AT LEAST borderline pretentious. foabp is the only album which actually makes a somewhat clear statement.

also you have a wrong idea. it doesn't matter if they shit on their audience or not. they don't create their music for you, they create it for themselves. if you like it then that's cool but don't get the wrong idea. they shouldn't be thinking about what listeners want when they are making music.
  • I need to watch things die
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I thought insurgentes was awesome. I hope that this new album is in similar style to their latest 2 as it would be lame if they regressed back to the cheesy prog they once were.

FOABP flowed together really well. It was really well made and I listened to it 100s of times. I hope the new one is as good.

• Lichens!
porcupine tree once again sets the bar high for great album art work
  • Damn Right I'm a peasant.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Is three forward slashes Porcupine Trees new thing or something?

My interest in them, like many, has kind of petered off. They're a great band but, and maybe this is over lisening or just maturing, they don't seem as brilliant as they once did. Not in a 'their new releases arent up to scratch' way, but simply in the sense of their music not leaping out at me any more.

Also Steven Wilson is really pretentious, with his whole stupid Ipod vendetta, and perhaps a dick?

Still, we shall see what they can manage.
  • I fear and I tremble
HEY KIDS GO OUTSIDE GRAMP WANTS YOU TO GO OUTSIDE AND STOP LISTENING TO MY MUSIC YOU FUCKIN LOSERS
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • Master of Puppets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
That album cover looks like something they made in 2 minutes on msPaint. The picture doesn't even look centered (may just be because the 3 red bars ruin it's symmetry.)
  • Pip
"The Incident"

How do they not realize how fucking stupid that sounds?

Also I guess it shouldn't be surprising but the track list sounds like the track list for a Dream Theater album.
  • thx ds k?
This doesn't look very good! I haven't listened to it but I don't really like LONG EPIC PROG MASTERPIECES!!! too much and i've never really been a huge fan of PT to begin with.
I have not heard any of these songs so I am gonna make an opinion and be non-conformist to all you non conformist fucks!
  • The devil himself
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I really loved Deadwing but found Fear of a Blank Planet meh. Wilson's solo album was good but not that good. I'm curious to see how it sounds. The artwork is simple but sometimes that's the type to represent the album. To be completely honest, the album pretty much makes me think of a lot of black metal albums which just have a small picture in the middle. Not sure if that's good or bad though heh. The three red slashes is retarded though
If that really is the album artwork i will lol so much.

If it isn't then I will laugh at all those who have assumed they would release something that bad.

Win/Win
  • Lichens!
I'm not going to make any judgements yet, considering that

1) porcupine tree has never had good album art.  I mean look at deadwing's album cover and tell me you couldn't have done that in 10 minutes with photoshop either. 
2) fear of a blank planet had a terrible concept too and it turned out to be my second favorite release of the band's
3)coxswain is stupid so take that as you will
  • DragonSlayer o_O
I don't think FOABP's concept was terrible, it was actually pretty interesting but what irritated me about FOABP was that the delivery of lyrics didn't live up to the concept, too much pills and shit. I really like some of the lyrics on FOABP but yeeeeeah, there was too much repetition and some pretty bad parts. Then again, lyrics have never been PT's strongest point.

I loved Insurgentes, but I seriously do not expect most people to like it a lot because it's just pretty different and not that accessible. It does have lots of accessible parts and whole songs too but a lot of it is pretty experimental and much more out there than PT so it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Also, here's the official album art I think (minus the placeholder text):

Also, I really doubt the song cycle is going to be some prog epic like ONE LONG TRACK. If you read the stuff I posted, it sounds like it's going to be something like, say, The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails. There's continuity and songs flow into each other but each song is still clearly different. But it still works like one long track.

Also, apparently the album has more acoustic/poppy parts than previous effort(s) and there are less heavy parts as well, but the few heavy parts are apparently really heavy. I'm a bit disappointed that apparently there are no strings at all since I love whenever PT uses strings in their music, as sparse as they are. O well......
Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:23:57 pm by DragonSlayer
  • Lichens!
eh I'm okay with this album not having strings, I mean strings ruined "My Ashes" on foabp, so I'll take them off to avoid mistakes like that (although if there were to be any strings like on Sleep Together, well thats a different story)

and come on you have to admit theg concept to foabp was at least a little bit terrible ds
  • DragonSlayer o_O
No they didn't. My Ashes is one of the best PT ballads. :( But yeah, you are absolutely right that the strings on Sleep Together are so much better and original as well, I really would want more stuff like that. Thing about PT's strings are that they never really go overboard with them and often they are rather subtle and I like that. But anyway, that's a completely subjective thing, I just dig strings when they are well used.

Also, I really don't think FOABP's concept was terrible at all. It genuinely intrigued me. I don't agree with nearly everything SW tried to say with the album but it was still interesting. And I'm not saying I disagree with everything, I really think the album made some good points I can relate to. Maybe it wasn't the most original concept ever but it had personality and it's always easier to enjoy and get into an album when you can relate to it.
Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 04:08:27 pm by DragonSlayer
  • Lichens!
old folks have a valid point when they say "OH KIDS THESE DAYS!" but you still go "LOL OLD PEOPLE" when they say it anyways 

also I don't like how on the tracklsiting a lot of the songs are under 2 minutes, I get the feeling that this album is going to have a lot of interludes and while interludes are nice, I prefer something with a little more substance
I guess you don't really know until you try it, but yeah. Speculate some more its amusing :D
  • DragonSlayer o_O
“The Incident isn’t intended as one long song – it’s more a series of songs connected together in a continuous flow, with each song about a specific event. Originally the idea was to take the sense of musical continuity that is the basis of all PT albums to the next level by writing a 55-minute song cycle, starting with the simplest musical device - a single repeated guitar chord. I had no lyrical theme when I started, but I began at the beginning and each part of the song cycle grew naturally out of the previous one. This is very different to previous PT albums where the sequencing and flow of the albums was established at the end of the recording process by figuring out the best order for the songs. Here each song was specifically written to seamlessly flow out of the previous one and link to the next.”

This pretty much confirms it's not some long prog masterpiece but something more in vein of The Fragile as I suspected.