Topic: Raiding Bins/Dumpster Diving (Read 2440 times)

• Pip
  • Group: Member
Don't go to restaurants, it's disgusting.  There's no packaging or bagging really so even if they throw out good food it gets covered in gross food.

I don't really know what grocery stores there are in the UK, but in the US (California), Trader Joes (sort of a health-food/yuppie grocery place) throws out stuff 3 days before the expiration date, and also anything that is dented or has a slight visual imperfection.  It's pretty ridiculous the amount of non-gross food they throw out; on any given night we usually fill a van with no back seats.  There's usually a shit load of eggs and bread, and also a large amount of assorted packaged or clean vegetables and fruits.  One time we even found several cases of beer.

Most grocery stores donate this stuff so you're going to have to find the ones around you that don't.  Even though the ones that do donate though, don't usually do so on every day of the week so if you find out which day they don't then you're set.
  • Abominationist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Avoid any restuarant that is known to have rodent problems, because one of the methods of dealing with it is lacing everything they throw out with poison. Also when it is not cold out the place will swarm with flies and maggots, and cross contamination is inevitable so don't expect to not get sick. But if you want to find the good stuff, like the good scraper that you are, then I suggest just walking around everywhere and checking out all the garbage areas as casually as possible for anything and everything. Targeting specific places will make you suspicious and expected.

Biggest thing though is you need to have a good eye for quality, and be aware there are people who make a living picking apart anything thats worth money. Especially here in Canada where people sift through everyones garbage for metal, which is called scrapping for some reason, and go to certain government facilities that give you money for bringing the stuff over.

But really don't raid bins for food, it is the least rewarding and most likely to get you sick. The smell also tends to cling to you for days if not weeks and you'll find yourself doing alot more bathing then you do now.

EDIT: Also, clean up after yourself. People will not turn a blind eye if you get caught, but if you clean up after yourself then the punishment for getting caught would be alot because they wouldn't have to clean up after you, which is what gets to the employess/people the most.
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:31:31 pm by Boulvae
A tool is a tool regardless. I mean if you suck, you suck, and not even the most perfect tool could save you. And if your damn good then even with the worst tool ever conceived you could chug out some high quality shit.
  • aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
i picked up 4.5kgs of smoked chicken from a dumpster fairly recently (i made a topic). since you're planning this, hit shops that sell mostly packaged refridgerated items. they usually get thrown out on or just before the 'best before date' and they're still good for a bit. don't go digging for scraps of half eaten food, dumpsters get reused. the bin that's full of scraps from your local restaurant one week could have been medical waste the week before, if it's in contact with the bin or garbage juice don't eat it (it would be hard to anyway probably). also unless it's a big place the garbage is likely to be mixed, i.e. the shop will have a trash can into which all trash is poured, this bad will be transferred to the dumpster.

there are few things more rewarding than dumpster diving. it's treasure hunting essentially. you're a treasure hunter.
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
  • thx ds k?
why are you doing this jamie? there's really no reason to justify doing this unless you're poor.
  • I need to watch things die
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Once you can get over the grossness of rubbish there is nothing stopping you. Except trespass I guess.
  • thx ds k?
except driving around town doing searching through dumpsters for food? even if there is edible food inside the dumpster you're still digging around in a DUMPSTER.
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Supposedly I here from workers at Wawa there is actually people that wait for them to throw out the trash because they throw out donuts all the time and other things. That are not rotten to the core normally like the donuts are probably a day and half old.
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:12:40 pm by DDay
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Your best bet is to work with some Binsider Binformation.  Talk to the employees and they can probably tell you what day of the week/month that the shop Bins old merchandise.  My friend would dive at Blockbuster and find trashbags full of decent movies and games.  It's also a well-known fact that Krispy Kreme tosses out their day old donuts at 11pm.  

Also, watch out for Bin Bums.  Depending on where you live, you may be crossing into bum territory, scraping with those that make a living off of Bins.  We call these Guardians of the Bin.  They are highly territorial, so watch out for any Bin marked with hobo piss.
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:13:48 pm by Evangel
keep posting...
  • i am a swordsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
There is an old man in my town that kind of leans to the left side when he walks that lives off of dumpsters. He looks kind of sad.
  • Lichens!
why are you doing this jamie? there's really no reason to justify doing this unless you're poor.
not really i've done this plenty before and i have enough money to buy food/things  its just plain fun most of the time
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement

Because I've seen what some guys apparently found at the back of some health food shop, and if I can save money by doing something like that then I'll do it. That's only part of the reason, I'm also just curious. This isn't me saying I'm definitely going to start doing this, but I'll give it a go and try to see how it works.

Like, this isn't just some crazy idea that popped into my head. People actually do it, as a conscious choice regardless of their finances, and I am interested in how they do it.
  • Funky Monk
  • PipPip
One of my oldest and bestest friends has a habit of doing this. His argument is to stick it to the big fat supermarket chains and food manufacturers, and also to save some money. What's your excuse, Mr Sime?
Your Pussy's Glued to a Building on Fire

"We're gonna live like kings! Damn hell assed kings!"
www.myspace.com/tvdreams
www.myspace.com/untitledhead
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
that, and curiousity.
  • Funky Monk
  • PipPip
don't it make you feel real dirty?
Your Pussy's Glued to a Building on Fire

"We're gonna live like kings! Damn hell assed kings!"
www.myspace.com/tvdreams
www.myspace.com/untitledhead
  • Lichens!
it gives you a nice fuzzy feeling inside
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
Yeah, don't get food from restaurants, get them from the dumpsters at supermarkets. They throw out actual crap at restaurants so it's not safe, but at supermarkets they throw out perfectly good bagged or canned food.

Ryan, throwing out garbage is one thing but lots of supermarkets throw out recently expired food (ps passing an expiration date does not automatically make food inedible) or food that is about to expire. Also a lot of expiration dates are actually sell-by dates. But yeah, a lot of food is wasted. There is no reason for people to be wasting this much food so it makes sense to take it.
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • I fear and I tremble
you should do a mini documentary about dumpster diving
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • Abominationist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Not everyone does it as a conscious choice, some people do it because it was either that or stealing.

Anyways watch out for the cockroaches and rodents, kill one they'll run off and come back a short while later. Anything at the bottom of a dumpster should be considered bad. Green (in Canada atleast) dumpsters is not where any garbage is thrown, but is where card board boxes are thrown specifically. Be sure to know when employees go in and out of the facility so you can time it. Your better off stealing the damn food, I can't stress this enough, just dumpster dive for other things besides food. And if anyone catches you any respect they'll have for you will be gone. Lastly watch out for cameras.
A tool is a tool regardless. I mean if you suck, you suck, and not even the most perfect tool could save you. And if your damn good then even with the worst tool ever conceived you could chug out some high quality shit.
  • aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache
dumpster diving isn't a choice it's genetic so maybe if his friends won't respect him for it then maybe he should get some new friends who aren't hobophobes.
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
  • I fear and I tremble
I don't see any sense to the YOULL LOSE RESPECT shit

All he's got to do is tell them what exactly he's doing. He's a student that found out you can find pretty good things thrown out in a dumpster and he's just curious and that he'll clean up after himself.

I don't see why anyone but an anal dick would have a problem with it but if they do just haul ass.

But I heard something awhile ago about owners not wanting to give away food like that because they lose refunds from the company they're buying the food from if its used, its explicately supposed to be thrown away if its expired or broken or I guess donated but I haven't heard much about that around here.
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS