Topic: The Screenshot Topic (Read 106133 times)

• >you
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • <<<BLAME>>>
First, I shall display the previous game I was working on. I had to put it on hold at this time as MMF has a unique active object limit for each frame it seems. Attempting to run the game on the selected frame while this limit is passed will cause the game to crash upon start-up. I have heard long ago that MMF2 does not have such a limit so hopefully I can obtain a copy. If all else fails, I will have to remove some content.

(Note that the numbers on the screen are merely for testing purposes and will not be in the final version of the game.)

(Older screen comparison)

An older screen showing off the menus. Shields are replaced with relics in the current game.

Now for the game I am currently working on. As you can see, the interface and character are the same as the previous game but this is only temporary as I am using the same engine. The tiles are also much simpler and less detailed than the last game, but I think it works rather well.

This game will be a side-scrolling shooter.

Hidden due to size:
Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:53:52 am by Revenant
  • Sunflower of the Jollyflower Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Ultra-mega-fuckin' good, Revenant! Looks so Castlevania with some modern twist!

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga
  • It's coming along nicely...
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Familiar much?

That's all I'm going to say about that. ;)
Sweet online game in alpha.
http://trisphere-rpg.com/index.php?refer=bucchus
  • >you
  • PipPipPipPipPip
part 2?
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Heroes realm?

Also that sidescroller is looking very nice Revenant :3
  • SPIDERS
  • PipPip
Revenant:
Your sidescroller is looking nice. The character sprites are detailed and have a lot of personality. I think the face portrait at the top left is a little bland and could use something to make it more interesting - maybe show more of her head instead of just a close-up of her face, and have her move around a bit in the portrait in response to game events?

Your HUD seems to lack contrast with the game world - maybe try a darker outline around it.

Your environment tiles are pretty good, but a couple of the ones in your screenshots are really visibly noisy and high-contrast, which seems like a bad choice for a background tile - distracts too much from what's happening in the foreground. You might want to tone that down.

Looks pretty awesome, but I'm not a fan of how the water clips when the hero blocks the flow of it.
Yeah, I've been thinking about how to make that work instead. I may just make it not get blocked by the hero.

Hiretsukan, I thought you gave up on game making stuff, or what that just fury^2?

The video looks pretty cool but the gravity seemed really low.
Nah, just Fury². Became impossible to maintain after a while due to compiler bugs and such. Just didn't have much time for games with my day job, so you never heard much from me (:

@Hiretsukan: I like how you die in the game man.
Hehe, thanks. Hopefully you see it less during actual gameplay than in my test videos. :D

Hiretsukan - If I were to play that and died twice less than 10 seconds into the game, I'd shut it off. If I rocked it for the first 10 mins then ran into a situation like that, I might play longer.
Well, in the actual game you're not going to die quite so much. But death only sets you back a few seconds (since that point you teleport back to upon death will move automatically as you progress through the dungeon) - the idea is that individual platforming and combat events in the dungeon can be challenging and take multiple attempts, but you'll never need to load a saved game or redo a previously completed puzzle.

I am leaning towards higher difficulty at present, though. Maybe that's a bad decision.

Have any ideas for making death less frustrating?
Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:11:24 am by Hiretsukan
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
Revenant, that's looking really badass. Is it going to be like Castlevania?
  • <<<BLAME>>>
Revenant, that's looking really badass. Is it going to be like Castlevania?

Yes sir.  Hopefully it will (or nearly) live up to the status of a true Castlevania game! I have been inspired by the Castlevania games in the background tile and object department, as you can see.

As for weapons, I only plan to have 30 but I am thinking I can add 'pages' to that weapon window to increase the number. I plan to have each weapon have their own unique effects, such as one raising defense when you are hit, or a sword that has an increased range of attack. Also, most enemies will have a chance to drop the weapon you see them wielding.
  • It's coming along nicely...
  • PipPipPip
Nessiah & Bandito: You're both close, but not entirely accurate. Not sure if its even going to be ok'd for release, and it's a long, long way off still. Just wanted to throw a very early teaser out there. Just a side project from my main one.
Sweet online game in alpha.
http://trisphere-rpg.com/index.php?refer=bucchus
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
I'm just going to leave this here.

"the way you speak about rm2k3, like "modules, arrays, pointers" sounds like
you're some badass c++ programmer stuck in the past and only has rm2k3 to
work with"
-Gutts
  • Dog: "Just tell me what the hell you want me to do!"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Quote from: Vanit
Interesting textures, looks like pixel art that was morphed a bit with ps, am I right'? What's the graphic process, and what's it gonna be?

btw im igonoring your top pf page rukles guys/
Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:18:53 am by King of Games
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
Actually there was no morphing aside from making the text 05 transperant. Everything was done by hand to look similar to the textures in the 3D model, here's a comparison shot:

It still needs some tweaking though, the kanji on the sign isn't entirely correct and some of the colours are a bit wrong. But yeah, this is generally going to be the style of the game so it still feels like FF7.
Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:39:36 am by Vanit
work with"
-Gutts
  • Fuckin' A.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
make the text say aeris dies

those video gam nerds will lap it up
  • I`m serious!
  • PipPipPipPip
Actually there was no morphing aside from making the text 05 transperant. Everything was done by hand to look similar to the textures in the 3D model, here's a comparison shot:

*cool comparison pic*

It still needs some tweaking though, the kanji on the sign isn't entirely correct and some of the colours are a bit wrong. But yeah, this is generally going to be the style of the game so it still feels like FF7.
Vanit that looks awesome. Tell us, how will the battle characters look? Will they be the same size as in FF7 or sprite sized? And will enemies have moving animations?
I like pie :-)
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
Same size as in FF7. They'll be more detailed than the field sprites. I'm working on Cloud's idle animation as we speak, will probably post a screenshot tomorrow. Enemies will most likely be a still picture, but will have multiple images if they have different states (ie first boss is a scorpian raises its tail). Realistically it'll take too much time for me to animate enemies unless they're important reoccuring characters, so on that note I may animate the Turks and Sephiroth, but we'll see.

EDIT: Actually, here's what I have so far:

Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:09:31 pm by Vanit
work with"
-Gutts
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
Hey, that looks great! Looking forward to seeing more of Reactor #5 in 2D!
  • >you
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Now all those people that said remaking ff7 was a bad idea wants to see some ff7 remake. Shame on you guys shame on you.
  • I need to watch things die
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Now the content is emerging it is more exciting it has to be said. Hang on for more MG style screenshots in the next 24 hours ;D
  • hey you! stop cheesing off!
  • PipPip

Not bad. I would just like to point out that the sword position is slightly off which makes his arm look short.