Topic: The Screenshot Topic (Read 106132 times)

• Just like sex, only not really.
  • Group: Member
Every weapon has three attacks: A ranged, charged, a melee attack.  The melee attack can only be used when you're completely still.
This screen shows off the fire melee attack, a burning fist with no knockback, but incredible damage compared to the falcon punch.  Its only downsides are its short range and long windup/cooldown time. (17 frames of windup and 15 frames of cooldown, running at 60 FPS.  Might not sound like much, but it is in an action-based game.  And the attack frames last 10 seconds, making the whole attack take 42 frames, or 0.7 seconds.)

And on a related note: I only need to make 10 more melee attacks, and then I can finally start working on the cutscenes, levels, and bosses.  Y'know, stuff that makes it more than a tech demo.
Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:45:40 am by Mr Weird Guy
  • DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
@DragonSlayer: I didn't know you make gaems... Looks awesome, but I'm just wondering if your gonna make the player walk all the way through that with random encounters and very slow walk speed, since that would be somewhat annoying.
I'm not really planning to make a game, just making a world map for the hell of it. Although if I ever find enough time and motivation maybe I'll give it a go. I probably wouldn't have random encounters on the world map though.

@DS: That is a really nice map! Cliifwork is indeed tricky business but the cliffs all look like they line up, which is a testament to a lot of fine-combing. The only problem I have with it is the bottom-right, which is all "here is a monolithic cliff face to gaze upon for eternity" instead of "here are some neat caves and rock formations" to spruce it up. I think the problem with that is the stark contrast between the detail everywhere else and the lack thereof in that one area. That could just be an area you haven't worked on yet, though!
Watching the picture, I can definitely see where you are coming from. However, part of the reason it seems like that is that it's just a part of the world map I'm showing. There's this huge cliff surrounding the center part of the world map creating a large crater area (though the shape is way different) which is called the lower world, and obviously the outer area of the world is called the upper world. I already mentioned this but it's a setting I took from my old game. Basically I could add more details to the cliff but then it would look less like this huge, tall cliff and more like a mountain, and I don't really want that. Certain parts of the cliff do have more details as there are these border towns and other areas which link the lower and the upper world together, like the one in the bottom of the snowy area I posted. There are some other points of interests and details as well so it's not just some big boring cliff. But for other parts, there's just the cliff, and when you play the game and go next to the cliff, you can't see the top or the bottom and that creates the feeling that the upper world is much higher than the lower world. You have a point though and once I have finished the map, I'll see if I can add more details to certain places without breaking the illusion.

Thanks for the feedback and comments!
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
HELO FROM EGYP
LOVE FAST POOP COOL POOP KING TUT
helo from egypt
hello from egyp

love fast poop
king tut
cool fast poop king tut
love  cool pop tut
king tut

tutttttttttttttt king tut  kig tut king tu                           t tut
king tut love poop
egypt fast poop

cool poop,king tut

helo.

egypt fast poop,king tut
lo ve king tut , egyp tut. egyp tut

king tut
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
col pic googlecom

of king tute
see tute poop

will you see egyp tut king tut

i want for to  noW KING TUT .king tut

pic of tut googlecom cool pop
coo l poop fast poop

i love egyp fast poop., i love to egyp fast poop
king tut pope
poop pic googlecom

heylo from egyp

helo egyp. love poop. i love cool poop egyp king tut. ,king tu TTTTTTTTTTTTTT T T        TTTTTTTTTTTking tut
welcome to egupt
  • now das fresh
chef has egyptian disease syndrome
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • mmmrh

:cool:
not mine
  • What, me worry?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
maps are too empty
  • Its all fairy-ish.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Malbor: Is the player ever going to walk far down enough on that map to appreciate your work?
that's pretty good thernz. also i saw how some guy was saying you and nessiah stole some sprite on tigsource and i thought it was pretty weird.
  • brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
heylo from egyp
maps are too empty

i agree.  the player is going to get really bored walking around all that open space.  i might suggest a few trees around there, maybe some boulders and barrels to fill up all that emptiness.
keep posting...

-

-
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
@kyle_sanderson: I want to know what this game is, right now!
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

it is my game.... and it will be done in a week :)​.
Gray text over a gray flashback tint is a bad idea.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPip
True, but regardless it's legible.
  • Byuu!
  • Pip

I like it.

And I disagree with the suggestion to remove the enemy names. They occupy a very logical location on the screen, they help people reference enemies, they can add some interest (like a townsperson speaking of a monster by name), and removing them for the command box doesn't make sense since the command box could always go over the enemy names and use the same space. Speaking of which, I endorse the idea to move the command box out of the center of the map (as in, over the enemy names). I didn't like it when Legend of the Philosopher's Stone did it, and I'm fairly certain it will cause you problems long term as well.

Also, the idea to decrease the width of the health bars is a decent idea. I'm not sure if it would look better or not, but they are a little dominant right now (which could be seen as good, but maybe not that much). I disagree with adding in the maxes for the energy and health in the boxes because there simply isn't enough room without making it too full of numbers and cluttered. Right now it's really easy to see everything and those large HP bars split stuff up nicely so it doesn't look cluttered or confusing.

I just noticed that gap between the enemy names and the character stats looks a bit odd. I'm not sure if widening the enemy name box to fill the gap (don't make it taller though) would look better or worse. It would depend slightly on how the command box fits in there too.

At any rate, good luck with the programming.  :sweat:

Gaming World FAQ!
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Here you can see the protagonist interacting with a tribe of crazy survivalists.
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Here you can see the protagonist interacting with a tribe of crazy survivalists.

holy crap, that's insane and awesome!
keep posting...
  • I need to watch things die
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I still play your random game with the mexican in it from time to time just because I like getting mowed down by a VW Beetle.